Day Rate

A friend asked a question that I have no idea how to answer.What is the going day rate for a 3rd captain (training position) on a crew boat in the gom in todays economy? He has 200 nc master, radar unl, arpa, ab unl. He asked this because on the application it asked for a minimum salary, I believe the company is out of Freeport,Tx 110’ and 165’ boats.

Thanks
Mike

[QUOTE=mike50;50843]A friend asked a question that I have no idea how to answer.What is the going day rate for a 3rd captain (training position) on a crew boat in the gom in todays economy? He has 200 nc master, radar unl, arpa, ab unl. He asked this because on the application it asked for a minimum salary, I believe the company is out of Freeport,Tx 110’ and 165’ boats.

Thanks
Mike[/QUOTE]
$400.00 to $450.00 per day…

[QUOTE=stevefoster;50860]$400.00 to $450.00 per day…[/QUOTE]
I Wish!!!

Try low $200’s MAYBE low $300’s if your lucky. But usually the smaller the company the lower the day rate.

Depends on experience also. Has he run boats in the oil field before?

on the ap for salary he could put “current rate” or “negotiable” or just leave it blank.

No oilfield experience, being a 3rd captain position, I would guess around 225.

[QUOTE=mike50;50865]No oilfield experience, being a 3rd captain position, I would guess around 225.[/QUOTE]

Man that sucks. I was earning more than that 5 years ago when I quit the Gulf, for more or less the same license.

I don’t know many Crew boat Captains that make less than 3 bills

[QUOTE=chemcarrier;50880]I don’t know many Crew boat Captains that make less than 3 bills[/QUOTE]

And I know a few that make more than 3 bills a day…Have the pay rates gone down that much with most crewboat companies, Jemplayer? Try Jackson Marine, C & G, Graham Gulf. I have friends that work for them and unless they are lying to me they make way over 3 bills…I hate to see Mariners taken advantage of by the boat companies…

Definetly above $300, closer to $400 when I left and come over to the rigs. But the market was quite a bit better than now. That being said things are picking back up.

Your bigger companies are going to be paying 3 and 4 hundred a day. But they want guys with experience, even dp.

But the small times guys running the smaller crew boats are going to be paying low 200’s for no experience. They do usually sweeten the pot by having satalite TV it seems.

As for me going back and running crew boats, fuck that. I’m very happy running my big heavy mini supply thank you very much.