Crowley Rotations / Pay

Never heard of that on the west coast, I think they are doing that to maximize profits in the gulf tugs are prob on charter but if you look at ais they sit a lot of the time in lake Charles at the dock between jobs.

Your right on both statement. they need to make a change or they are going to maximize people not going to work for them, or leaving as soon as something better comes along.

i have heard mix things about Crowley. Im active duty Cost Guard looking to get out and in the future become a tug boat Captain trying to get hired for the jax / san juan route. i heard that Crowley has a good pay but not the best schedual. and other tell me that i can go Crowley and move up fast and they will pay for most of the education for the master 1600 and then move to a different company. is this really a good place to start or should i keep looking?

FYI Crowley will be having four new tankers coming out in the next few years. They are going to need people to crew them. Again while not GOM wages, Liner Services, or Contract Services, Crowley Petroleum was a good place to work. If they could match my GOM salary I would have gone back in heartbeat. Contract will be AMO officers on a 75 day rotation. SIU will crew most likely with a deep sea standard contract. There is also the potential to build another four ships. The first four already have charters to a major oil company.

[QUOTE=CGtug;122413]i have heard mix things about Crowley. Im active duty Cost Guard looking to get out and in the future become a tug boat Captain trying to get hired for the jax / san juan route. i heard that Crowley has a good pay but not the best schedual. and other tell me that i can go Crowley and move up fast and they will pay for most of the education for the master 1600 and then move to a different company. is this really a good place to start or should i keep looking?[/QUOTE]

Not to beat a dead horse to death, and when it comes to Crowley pay, that is what it feels like we are doing on this forum.

Please, please, please, note: There are more then one section/division/fleet to Crowley. The Liner service, Jax or Philly to San Juan using Crowley tugs and barges is one division, and is the worst place in the US to work. (but maybe not if you are that kind of Mariner), just look through the many postings about the liner service and you will begin to understand. However…
THe ATB’s, Blue water tankers, West Coast, Lake Charles, these are different divisions/companies within Crowley and are run different.
This may explain the mixed things you are hearing.

Just remember, the Liner service out of Jax or Philly is where Crowley gets the very bad reputation for the way the crew is treated/compensated.
But if you want a low skill job, then the Liner Service may be where you want to go, we all got to start somewhere. Just do not expect to learn any real skills at the Liner Service.
Now…if you really want to learn how to handle a small/medium tug, go to the oilfield and get on a anchor handling/material barge tug. Or…any coast and get on a dredge scow tug. You will have grey hair, and wonder what the…you got yourself into, but I assure you, you will learn fast and you will learn a lot, or… you will not be there long.

Hope above helps.
Ocean31

Crowley is building ships to do away with the Linear service out of Jaxs. The tug & barges wi run out of Philly, but that will only be 4 total.

[QUOTE=“seadonkey;122299”]They pay you less at dock? So much for trying to get on with them. It’s a shame they seems like nice equipment.[/QUOTE]

That was very common when I sailed for them 30 years ago. We would get back in to Lake Charles early in the week and then lay the crew off (still expecting them to come back on Friday). The engineer was told to stick around and work “Hard Card” (hourly wages) that was significantly less than our seagoing wage. Same thing went for shipyard work.

[QUOTE=Ocean31;122423]Not to beat a dead horse to death, and when it comes to Crowley pay, that is what it feels like we are doing on this forum.

Please, please, please, note: There are more then one section/division/fleet to Crowley. The Liner service, Jax or Philly to San Juan using Crowley tugs and barges is one division, and is the worst place in the US to work. (but maybe not if you are that kind of Mariner), just look through the many postings about the liner service and you will begin to understand. However…
THe ATB’s, Blue water tankers, West Coast, Lake Charles, these are different divisions/companies within Crowley and are run different.
This may explain the mixed things you are hearing.

Just remember, the Liner service out of Jax or Philly is where Crowley gets the very bad reputation for the way the crew is treated/compensated.
But if you want a low skill job, then the Liner Service may be where you want to go, we all got to start somewhere. Just do not expect to learn any real skills at the Liner Service.
Now…if you really want to learn how to handle a small/medium tug, go to the oilfield and get on a anchor handling/material barge tug. Or…any coast and get on a dredge scow tug. You will have grey hair, and wonder what the…you got yourself into, but I assure you, you will learn fast and you will learn a lot, or… you will not be there long.

Hope above helps.
Ocean31[/QUOTE]

I understand. And im sure I dont wanna start in a place that has bad rep and is gonna be in my resume. Thanks alot for the info and the clarification.

I think it’s a huge topic, because Crowley is looking for people, and a lot of people wants facts. Something new comes up weekly. I have heard several different things about Crowley, both here and from co workers. It has been super informative, and I thank all who have contributed.

Lol thats mire than my company pays for mates. A crowley non dp 2nd mate makes more at the dock than I do while sitting on whats sure to be a much nicer better maintained tug.

“Bayrunner”… Take the plunge and come over here as a licensed deckhand, and get a pay raise at that. She would have you steering in no time, new boats coming out all the time…

[QUOTE=BargeMonkey;122527]“Bayrunner”… Take the plunge and come over here as a licensed deckhand, and get a pay raise at that. She would have you steering in no time, new boats coming out all the time…[/QUOTE]

Ill be heading down there after the first of the year. Ill be hitting the OSV outfits first but I might check out Crowley as well. I dotn have an Oceans license, yet, so im not sure Crowley would be interested. I would love to be on one of those Ocean Class boats. As long as its equal time or close to it im willing to go places.

Any updates on Crowley? Especially on the ocean class?

They’re looking for Mates/Engineers for ATB’s (Petroleum division). Both MMP (West Coast) and SIU (East/Gulf Coasts), though there are a few stragglers of SIU on WC, and MMP in GOM. Steady work rotation (mainly 28 on/off or 45 on/off) Steady pay, retirement, yada yada, the list goes on.
Alaska [Valdez] work with them is great if you want to retire and read books, watch movies, learn a new language, etc. Work rotation either 28 on/off or 46 on/off.
There are frequently random openings in LA/LB, the Bay and Seattle harbors as well. But many of those get taken by those employed already. Two (2) week rot. with them, just a guess.
Heard that they got back-packs for end of year bonuses! Foss got checks!
Some reason, they sound like “bug-out bags”… from the company. :-/

What is Crowley’s Alaska and Seattle pay? Since its a union contract there is no reason for this to be a big secret?

Mind you, that these pay figures are per a system they call ATO (Accumulated Time Off). Pretty much, just double that amount and that’s what they’re paying. They just don’t give it all to the employee at once. Gotta get what they can in the market before we do, eh. These are all number based on their proposed contract that I believe they just voted on… for the second time. They turned it down the first time and didn’t even work out anything different. Awfully amateur negotiating team I believe.

Ocean/Coastwise Towing, Valdez & Cook Inlet (*Per 12-hour day)
Master: $312.96; C/m: $225.24; 2/m: $204.12

Inside Towing (LA/LB, Bay, Seattle) *Per hour
Master: $49.92; Harbor assist C/m: $41.22; C/m: $37.48; 2/m: 33.52

Petroleum Transport (ATB) *Per 12-hour day
Master: $336.54; C/m: $263.71; C/m $239.35

And it’s no wonder they’re looking for Chief Mate’s in the Petro division. Heard they’re losing about three [Chief Mate’s] a year. For having to be responsible for so much on a vessel, they should be getting paid a lot more than just what they are over a 2/m.

Couldn’t find any information on the Ocean class vessels.

[QUOTE=Smooth Sailor;129076]Mind you, that these pay figures are per a system they call ATO (Accumulated Time Off). Pretty much, just double that amount and that’s what they’re paying. They just don’t give it all to the employee at once. Gotta get what they can in the market before we do, eh. These are all number based on their proposed contract that I believe they just voted on… for the second time. They turned it down the first time and didn’t even work out anything different. Awfully amateur negotiating team I believe.

And it’s no wonder they’re looking for Chief Mate’s in the Petro division. Heard they’re losing about three [Chief Mate’s] a year. For having to be responsible for so much on a vessel, they should be getting paid a lot more than just what they are over a 2/m.

Couldn’t find any information on the Ocean class vessels.[/QUOTE]

That’s really pathetic. Most of the smaller non-union companies pay better than that.

[QUOTE=Smooth Sailor;129076]Mind you, that these pay figures are per a system they call ATO (Accumulated Time Off). Pretty much, just double that amount and that’s what they’re paying. They just don’t give it all to the employee at once. Gotta get what they can in the market before we do, eh. These are all number based on their proposed contract that I believe they just voted on… for the second time. They turned it down the first time and didn’t even work out anything different. Awfully amateur negotiating team I believe.

Couldn’t find any information on the Ocean class vessels.[/QUOTE]

I would agree with Tugsailor that on the face of it these figures are pretty pathetic but in all fairness I would be interested in hearing more about how the ATO system works. $336.54/day for an ATB master does sound terrible but if by the time all is said and done they’ve actually accumulated an amount equal to $673.08 then that figure would be much more difficult to argue with. So what gives? How does it all work?

Crowley is ALWAYS looking for mariners. Why? Because all of the negative aspects expressed in this Forum about employment with Crowley are TRUE! Low Pay, Check. A worthless union to pay, Check. The myth of “One Crowley” or the “Crowley Family”, Check. Crowley does not offer marine employee’s any financial help for mariner training and upgrading, which is ironic considering that most of Crowley upper management received an all-expense paid education at KP courtesy of the American Taxpayers. However, mariners do have a shot at winning the cheesy “old man Crowley rowing a boat trophy” but unfortunately, the award does not include a free bowl of soup to make it worthwhile.

Crowley is top heavy with non-seagoing Kings Point Ring-Knockers in headquarters, hence the "mind-numbing and out-of-touch “Crowley Way”, Whatever imagination, creativity and other elements of original thought they may have possessed was replaced long ago by a culture of butt-shining “Yes-Men” whose main function is to ensure only KP Alumni are promoted to upper management positions, qualified or not.

Great place for the low-skilled mariner, or entry-level & re-entry level mariner, and the mariner with little ambition to do anything else. Yes, the jobs are sold as “equal time” but I have observed first-hand the “Running of the Crews” to escape getting nailed to work-over in Jax.

The sum total equals regular mariner turn-over at the so-called “Crowley Family”.

A few years ago, several friends went from AB to Mate with Crowley. They paid their base pay 28/28 while they attended classes at Piney Point. Of course classes, transportation to school, slop and flop are provided free to SIU members in good standing.

Haven’t seen the contracts in a while but insurance was 100% paid by the company, 2 for 1 pension contributions, Money Purchase Plan contributions, paid travel, 401K(no contributions)

1 Like