Crew / Vessel Management

I thought there were some good posts in the pay raise thread - this is one:

[QUOTE=+A465B;79272]Where I want to work in order of personal priority:

1. A safe place to work - and ALL that entails physically and mentally

2. A respectful place to work where what I do is necessary and  appreciated.  As an older person one's definition of respect and  appreciation is a little different than a 20 something or even a 30  something. - But I mean not too much disrespect - and not too little  appreciation.  Just a normal balance in life that we all seek.

3. Pay that feeds the family with some small bit left over.  The more, the better.

4. A rotation that lets me see that family.  However no pay will make up for a lousy rotation in the long term.

5. Ability to communicate with family, via cell phone, SMS text,  internet or for that matter the darned SAT phone.  Exactly how and how  often is not so important - but being able to do it predictably is.

All the rest is just the gravy, or icing on the cake - like nice equipment, an interesting challenge aboard, a nice run or interesting port call, a fine set of shipmates or even a few you enjoy spending time with. These sort of things can also go a long way toward workplace happiness.

[ol]
[li]Gotta run. I actually do have some work to do ![/QUOTE][/li][/ol]

What does it take to have a smooth running vessel?

K.C.

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;82330]I thought there were some good posts in the pay raise thread - this is one:

[/LIST]

What does it take to have a smooth running vessel?

K.C.[/QUOTE]

Without going into specifics, more now than in the past.

Commitment from the TOP to spend the time and money on vessel management. It starts there. No pile of paperwork at the BOTTOM will ever substitute for a sincere desire and commitment at the TOP to do the right thing SOLELY because in the end - operations will be safer and more profitable.

BUT - that takes a lot of enlightenment as well as serious monetary and manpower investments that will not be returned in the short term. The reality of day rates / market conditions or undercapitalization act to hobble efforts to do the “right things”, even among the enlightened.

An error I’ve seen captains and C/E make is treating the chief mate and 1 A/E as equals to the rest of the crew in matters of crew discipline.

You get an oiler or AB that is creating trouble for the 1 A/E or C/mate. the oiler or AB runs to the capt/CE with his tale of woe. The capt/CE assume some sort of “personality conflict” and call the two in and tells them both to knock if off.

The problem for the 1 A/E or C/Mate is that they have equipment to tend/repair/maintain, cargo to stow/lash/move etc. Often however the oiler/AB has nothing to do but cause trouble.

I think capt and C/E should give the mate/1AE the benefit of the doubt in disputes with other crew. Often the AB or Oiler treats the capt and chief politely and deferentially causing them to assume that the problem must be with the supervisor who by contrast is grumpy and demanding.

K.C.

[QUOTE=+A465B;82338]Commitment from the TOP to spend the time and money on vessel management. It starts there. No pile of paperwork at the BOTTOM will ever substitute for a sincere desire and commitment at the TOP to do the right thing SOLELY because in the end - operations will be safer and more profitable.

BUT - that takes a lot of enlightenment as well as serious monetary and manpower investments that will not be returned in the short term. The reality of day rates / market conditions or undercapitalization act to hobble efforts to do the “right things”, even among the enlightened.[/QUOTE]

So true
During my early years the Captain and C/E were so respected by upper management that what they wanted they got. In my later years it was not so. The Captain and C/E received very little respect and if a part was needed you got the run around (why can’t you fix it?). In other words, the owners wanted to makes as much profit as possible before they junked the vessel.

The ability to combine discipline with approachability and a sense of humor. And never let them be sure you won’t go absolutely nuts.

We seamen/sea-women are not too complicated. One captain I worked with said "They are like kids (the crew). They do their: chores, they get an allowance, they get a room and fed too. He also believed if a person was unhappy on board there was an airport at every port we hit and you were free to get off and pay your own way home. We went on 90+ day voyages to the far east and back from New Orleans. We barbecued steaks, shrimp, and chicken every Thursday and Sunday. We had email and $2.33/ min sat phone cards to talk to home and a gym to work out in if you had the time. When someone went ashore and didn’t or couldn’t stand their watch we stood it for them but they owed us in the next good port. Everyone got to go ashore someplace on the run no matter how many hours we covered for them. A good place to work is only as good as the people who you work with.

I agree wholeheartedly. No matter the money or benefits, from the office personnel to crew. It’s makes a difference when you enjoy working for and with people.