Covid-19 News/Updates

But that is almost half the population.

My biggest fear is the long term consequences of Covid-19. I had H1N1 and it was a bitch. Not to keen to relive that…

1 Like

Hmmm…yeah they need a little more precision. I read into it severe obesity, but that could just be my error.

How do you figure? First of all, that’s probably half the country. Obesity alone is a quarter of the subject population. But aside from that, those are the people who end up in hospital, not the ones who are infected. The point of the shutdown is to reduce the overall infection rate, not to lock up all the fat hypertensives and throw away the key, so to say. No?

2 Likes

One or the others, who knows.

Results

A total of 5700 patients were included (median age, 63 years [interquartile range {IQR}, 52-75; range, 0-107 years]; 39.7% female) (Table 1). The median time to obtain polymerase chain reaction testing results was 15.4 hours (IQR, 7.8-24.3). The most common comorbidities were hypertension (3026, 56.6%), obesity (1737, 41.7%), and diabetes (1808, 33.8%). The median score on the Charlson Comorbidity Index was 4 points (IQR, 2-6), which corresponds to a 53% estimated 10-year survival and reflects a significant comorbidity burden for these patients. At triage, 1734 patients (30.7%) were febrile, 986 (17.3%) had a respiratory rate greater than 24 breaths/min, and 1584 (27.8%) received supplemental oxygen (Table 2 and Table 3). The first test for COVID-19 was positive in 5517 patients (96.8%), while 183 patients (3.2%) had a negative first test and positive repeat test. The rate of co-infection with another respiratory virus for those tested was 2.1% (42/1996). Discharge disposition by 10-year age intervals of all 5700 study patients is included in Table 4. Length of stay for those who died, were discharged alive, and remained in hospital are presented as well. Among the 3066 patients who remained hospitalized at the final study follow-up date (median age, 65 years [IQR 54-75]), the median follow-up at time of censoring was 4.5 days (IQR, 2.4-8.1). Mortality was 0% (0/20) for male and female patients younger than 20 years. Mortality rates were higher for male compared with female patients at every 10-year age interval older than 20 years.

The point is to prevent deaths and to avoid overloading the healthcare system. But the issue of the size of the fat ass class is also valid. Still, having a number to assign to the risk is valuable.

The point is to prevent illness. There are long term effects to be considered for survivors, but as this is a new virus, there isn’t data so much data on long term health risks it can create for those who weather it. Lung scarring, liver function, etc…

Those are common comorbidities for almost any virus! It’s not particularly news.

46% of adults over 50 have hypertension.
72% of adults over 20 are obese.
10.5% of Americans have diabetes.The older you are the more likely you are to have Type-2 diabetes

These conditions are closely linked. Obesity lead to Type-2 diabetes. The diet and lifestyle that leads to obesity contributes to hypertension. Taken together, they weaken the body to any infectious disease, so it shouldn’t be to surprising that people existing with these conditions are the most likely to die.

1 Like

The comorbidity factors were well known. But the correlation to the rate of hospitalizations had not been previously quantified.

dbeiri1, you have a point. I am not obese, but have family history of hypertension. Rely on my doctor to keep me out of the hospital. What I don’t understand is many healthcare workers being laid off recently in more than a few states after every one screaming “Shortage” of help. Understand elective surgeries were suspended for a while, and it is a business. But those people could be used for multitasking in that environment.

It is first and foremost a business. To not put the interests of the stockholders and investors first would be irresponsible and a very bad career move for the CEOs and presidents of the companies.

FYI, many of those people would prefer to be laid off to get the state unemployment, Aflack type insurance unemployment benefits & the $600 a week from the federal government instead of dangerous reduced 5-20 hour work weeks. My wife was laid off from her dental office job & she is pulling in more now than she did with her normal paycheck. But all good things must end I guess because she has to show up tomorrow at her previous job for new covid19 practices training. She’ll get 8 hours of work tomorrow at least but she has been pulling in nearly a grand a week for do nothing. We know several private school teachers who kept getting their salaries but wanted to get laid off because they would have made more money to do nothing instead of giving daily Zoom meetings to kids in their pajamas. All the kids are going to pass & it’s all review anyways so what was the point? This stay at home thing isn’t that bad IMO.

That won’t last forever, enjoy it while you can. And help keep your brides CME’s up to date. My bride was ultrasound, and retired for quite a while.We/ she still keep the cme’s up, not that she is going back to work, but for the minimal costs to retain her license, no problemo.

1 Like

Completley understand, my wife took years off whenever we had a child & she always kept her continuing education credits up. During those years she received many of her credits by volunteering at local free clinics & an organization called Remote Area Medical that provides free clinics throughout the US & world. We would make vacations out of it for the out of town free clinics. My wife & her coworkers don’t want to go back to work for a few hours a week because they will lose money by doing so. From the online discussion that she has told me about I think her coworkers will push the PPE aspect of the job to delay it as long as possible. Instead of hiring everyone back part time the employees would prefer to have a few individuals hired back at 40 hours a week at a time to keep everyone making top dollar. At least for the next 3 months until the gravy train runs out of gas.

Dutch’ antibody 47D11 blocks infection Coronavirus.

Part of wisdom, part of luck. For example, the discovery of the new antibody “47D11” about which two Dutch scientists published Monday in Nature can be mentioned.

The research of Prof. Frank Grosveld (Erasmus University) and Dr. Berend Jan Bosch (Utrecht University) had been hanging over the market for a while, but now it has been published after a peer-to-peer process by the renowned scientific journal Nature Communications. The two principal investigators worked with a team of international scientists.

1 Like

Read an article on “47D11”, yesterday. Looks promising. With all these people/nations working towards the same goal is encouraging news.

Reading the paper as well as I can understand it, it looks promising.

That’s great but what I am going to do with all these hamsterproducts?

1 Like

Just hide the hamsterproducts somewhere as the hamsters do.

The etymology of the word says this: Hamsteren (hoarding): "stock up like a hamster (in case of imminent scarcity)

Do we have to store it all in our cheeks?
download

1 Like