Costa Concordia Parbuckling Live Feed

Wasn’t sure where to post this…but you might find it interesting. The salvors are ready to begin the parbucking operation. They will probably begin at dawn their time.

http://gcaptain.com/costa-concordia-parbuckling-watch-live/ (not everyone visits the blog, so I posted it)

http://www.cbsnews.com/2718-201_162-1950/cbs-news-live-video/?tag=custom

feel free to post any others you may have

Enjoy (and good luck to the salvage crew)

Here is a good feed with high quality video that works on an iPad:

[QUOTE=CaptSteve;120466]Here is a good feed with high quality video that works on an iPad:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24104741[/QUOTE]

according to that site, the ship is upright…mission successful?

Engineering officials in Italy say they have succeeded in lifting the cruise ship Costa Concordia free of rocks, 20 months after it ran aground.

The operation appears to have begun and the hull is righting!

[QUOTE=c.captain;120484]The operation appears to have begun and the hull is righting![/QUOTE]

They have it off the reef and on the platform. Not much to see on the video feed as it is moving in CM! A time lapse video will be fun to watch tomorrow.

[QUOTE=CaptSteve;120488]A time lapse video will be fun to watch tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

That’s what I’m hoping for! The BBC link above is good because you can mute it. Otherwise http://live.reuters.com/Event/Raising_the_Costa_Concordia

I think I can see it moving…

[QUOTE=Mikey;120496]I think I can see it moving…[/QUOTE]

and I think I can see Russia from my house!

Well, they made some progress today, didn’t they?

[QUOTE=catherder;120503]Well, they made some progress today, didn’t they?

[/QUOTE]

Look at that marine growth! It’s hard to believe what was out of the water stayed so white in all that time. Even the rusty sections are nothing compared to what’s coming out now!

I have been sitting here watching the live feed. I know I have no life! It looked like they had her on an even keel but unless I am seeing something it looks like she is starting to roll the other way. I hope not but I was worries about the free surface with all of the water in her and how fast they rolled her once they started filling the caissons.

The other thing that I noticed is when ever they give a update it is always the Italians and not an American in sight…

Tugs, I think you are correct in that she is now listing a bit to port, but I am told they expected that. She’s going to be sitting there for some time while they get her stabilized and I think another set of caissons go on the stbd side which was the submerged side. They don’t expect to be able to lift and float her out of there till next spring.

It’s amazing, thus far don’t you agree? This salvage will top anything I’ve ever heard of before including the MT Betelgeuse…what an effort went into this. And on your last comment, hey, you can always try and pick up a little Italian, never know when it might come in handy.

When it goes on eBay I’m going to bid on it and have the same guys who fixed up C Captains Orca fix it up for me

The more that I look at it, she seems to be settling down. And Cat, you are correct this is going to be one for the books if the rest of this goes as smooth as today did.

Here is a time lapse video:

Another time lapse video:

//youtu.be/_91A9FzxQ78

[QUOTE=skycowboy;120548]When it goes on eBay I’m going to bid on it and have the same guys who fixed up C Captains Orca fix it up for me[/QUOTE]

Message for John…that fireboat you were interested in is up in LaConner now. Saw it there yesterday. Will try to go say hi to the new owner and find out what his plans for it are?

I just read in the latest article on gCaptain about the salvage operation that the salvors intend to have her up and floating within a month but that they won’t two her out to have her scrapped until the spring. What’s the catch? If they’re going to have her floating in a month what’s the idea of leaving her tied up where she sits? I don’t get it!

Paddy, they have remains of two people to locate and I think they want to make sure the hulk is stabilized before trying to tow anywhere.
I imagine weather is a consideration also.
I don’t know where they are taking the ship but I can imagine its going to be a South Asian location.

Re: Kulluk etc you can’t just tow something like that wherever whenever, at least to do it safely and effectively. Probably will take a few months of steel work to make it seaworthy to tow, plus weather considerations.

[QUOTE=z-drive;120665]Re: Kulluk etc you can’t just tow something like that wherever whenever, at least to do it safely and effectively. Probably will take a few months of steel work to make it seaworthy to tow, plus weather considerations.[/QUOTE]

That seems right. There is no way that thing is ready to tow. At least upright the ship has stopped destroying itself with every tide / swell.