Costa Concordia on Dateline NBC

Did any of you catch the Costa Concordia piece on Dateline NBC last night? I watched some of it and was absolutely disgusted by the complete lack of leadership on board that ship. As for those who were showing leadership during the incident, many of them were making insanely bad judgement calls. I"m not passing armchair quarterback type judgements either, they were making really really stupid decisions. I’m rather shocked that more people didn’t die.

Ummm Rob…where have you been for the last 2 years?

We called out the lack of leadership pretty early on in the Forum discussions.

[QUOTE=rob;155929]Did any of you catch the Costa Concordia piece on Dateline NBC last night? I watched some of it and was absolutely disgusted by the complete lack of leadership on board that ship. As for those who were showing leadership during the incident, many of them were making insanely bad judgement calls. I"m not passing armchair quarterback type judgements either, they were making really really stupid decisions. I’m rather shocked that more people didn’t die.[/QUOTE]

It all reminds me of one ship I sailed on that wound up grounded in Africa with a complete buffoon of a captain. So far as I know, the grounding was caused by an inaccurate chart telling us the berth was deep enough, but this guy failed to react appropriately to stuff that even I, a lowly engine rating, could’ve seen meant trouble. For one thing, we couldn’t rest against the bumpers at high tide, which should have been an early warning sign. Then, as the tide went out, we kept listing further and further away from the dock. We wound up evacuating the ship, but the captain kept insisting that all we had to do was pump more ballast water into the grounded side. This obviously didn’t work, and at one point the Chief Engineer, Chief Mate, and security team lead were all looking at each other with the same thought in mind – take this lunatic out of the picture by force and save the ship despite him. Fortunately, he finally relented after the 300 lb Chief Engineer screamed in his face that he was going to sink us, and we managed to lighten the ship and escape in time.

[QUOTE=rob;155929]Did any of you catch the Costa Concordia piece on Dateline NBC last night? I watched some of it and was absolutely disgusted by the complete lack of leadership on board that ship. As for those who were showing leadership during the incident, many of them were making insanely bad judgement calls. I"m not passing armchair quarterback type judgements either, they were making really really stupid decisions. I’m rather shocked that more people didn’t die.[/QUOTE]

I cannot say it any more forcefully that this but [B]“BAR NONE…SHITTINO IS THE WORST EXCUSE FOR A SHIP’S MASTER IN HISTORY!”[/B]

His actions that night and what he has told the world since is inexcusable and I am very glad to hear you say Rob how you see now how extremely lucky everyone was on the COSTA CONDORDIA to have escaped with their lives save for the very unfortunate 32 souls who perished because of one craven man’s incompetence and utter hubris!

I heard there was a dude on that ship that was a member of this forum. his name is Francesco Schettino and he goes by c.captain.

[QUOTE=knothead;155955]I heard there was a dude on that ship that was a member of this forum. his name is Francesco Schettino and he goes by c.captain.[/QUOTE]

sucha de comediano et tu

[QUOTE=knothead;155955]I heard there was a dude on that ship that was a member of this forum. his name is Francesco Schettino and he goes by c.captain.[/QUOTE]

That’s funny rite thar, don’t care who ya are.

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;155945]Ummm Rob…where have you been for the last 2 years?

We called out the lack of leadership pretty early on in the Forum discussions.[/QUOTE]

Well, yes, I realize that. But the stories from the passengers and some of the crew that were interviewed by NBC really added an exclamation point to this needless tragedy.