Converting licenses into accredited college classes?

Ive searched the depths of GCaptain with very little feedback. I am currently holding the typical 1600 Master/ Dp certs and the typical Gulf requirements has anyone had any experience converting these classes or “life experiences” into accredited college classes? If so how did you do it? Also if there any routes that we could possibly take as paving the of getting the ball rolling on getting colleges to start recognizing our training as college credits such as they do with the academies? I see the industry headed in the route that they will start taking hawspiper guys out with the requirement for college degrees.

Not that I am aware of but the MITAGS Chief Mate / Master classes count as ~12 transfer credits at American Public University if you take the entire MITAGS CM/M program.

Look here: http://www.acenet.edu/news-room/Pages/College-Credit-Recommendation-Service-(CREDIT).aspx

Gregg Trunell at PMI was working on something like this through Renton Tech., font know what ever happened though. I did fill out course paper work for RT during the PMI Workboat Program…

http://coastguardtraining.com/marine.htm

Young Memorial has an associate degree program. Half of your training must have come from the Louisiana Technical College system. It’s a start.

[QUOTE=orangejulius;109628]Ive searched the depths of GCaptain with very little feedback. I am currently holding the typical 1600 Master/ Dp certs and the typical Gulf requirements has anyone had any experience converting these classes or “life experiences” into accredited college classes? If so how did you do it? Also if there any routes that we could possibly take as paving the of getting the ball rolling on getting colleges to start recognizing our training as college credits such as they do with the academies? I see the industry headed in the route that they will start taking hawspiper guys out with the requirement for college degrees.[/QUOTE]

Yes. There are several propertly accredited colleges that offer credit for life experience, and a few that offer “external degrees.” SUNY , The State University of New York was one of the first schools to do both. You can get your license, training, and seatime evaluated of college credit, and you can get a real college degree from an accredited school without ever setting foot on campus.

Yea I think Empire State College, part of the SUNY System, handles that stuff.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;109652]Yes. There are several propertly accredited colleges that offer credit for life experience, and a few that offer “external degrees.” SUNY , The State University of New York was one of the first schools to do both. You can get your license, training, and seatime evaluated of college credit, and you can get a real college degree from an accredited school without ever setting foot on campus.[/QUOTE]
Are you saying that you can get a entire 4 year degree through SUNY from just life experience and the license? I already have close to 50+ credits done and took a break from school and am starting to look at options of how to go back and finish it.

[QUOTE=orangejulius;109673]Are you saying that you can get a entire 4 year degree through SUNY from just life experience and the license? I already have close to 50+ credits done and took a break from school and am starting to look at options of how to go back and finish it.[/QUOTE]

No. It’s not that simple. You have almost two years of credit now. You will probably get about another year of credit for your license. You can get the rest if the credits you need by taking CLEP, GREs, NY State Regents, and certain other exams. You will have to meet the requirements for total number of credits, and the requirements for your major, and the distribution requirements for humanities, math, etc. Most sailors read more books each year than the typical college kid has read in his entire life. Its easy to complete a degree in less than a year this way, but it does take a little bit of effort.