Merchant Marine license into college credits?

Happy New year all, long time listener first time caller…ok that was a joke. I was wondering if any of you have ever heard of people with merchant marine license’s being able to obtain college credits in exchange for their license (I would assume you get to keep your license as well). I usually have heard it in the context of Third Mate Unlmt. types so I wonder if it must be a academy thing only or? I’m a hawsepiper with a 1600 ton master of oceans, any idea what that’s worth (credit-wise) if any and who to talk to? Thanks, have a good one all DRI

I have heard of some colleges giving credit for work experience for a limited amount of credits for entry level courses. However I have never heard of this specifically for MM licenses.

I’m not sure if it’s still in effect but the SIU had a 2 year degree program with St. Mary’s College.

[QUOTE=DRI;45330]Happy New year all, long time listener first time caller…ok that was a joke. I was wondering if any of you have ever heard of people with merchant marine license’s being able to obtain college credits in exchange for their license (I would assume you get to keep your license as well). I usually have heard it in the context of Third Mate Unlmt. types so I wonder if it must be a academy thing only or? I’m a hawsepiper with a 1600 ton master of oceans, any idea what that’s worth (credit-wise) if any and who to talk to? Thanks, have a good one all DRI[/QUOTE]

You can get college credit at some institutions. http://www.tesc.edu is an example, that use prior learning assessments based on their offered courses. They offer navigation, marine transportation, and celestial that will be evaluated based on your training. How this translates to a degree is a different story because even though you can get the credits, it doesn’t mean the credits are substantive toward any degree. It will be enough to plug a few elective credits. You can very easily CLEP out most general requirements at the Nation’s college and universities - that is the best way, but most Maritime Colleges have rules of attendance particularly when it comes to programs in Marine Transportation that are Coast Guard Approved to meet STCW requirements, even if you previously met those requirements. Texas A&M Galveston for example, you can have Doctorate from Yale, but if you want a Marine Transportation Degree, even if you have an Unlimited Master license, you will have to attend their program for a minimum of 3 years.

Hey thanks! That was all good info. I suppose a 3rd Mate unlmt. out of an academy will have his license treated as a 4 year degree for the purpose of working on the office side of a marine transportation company as well I guess it should. I guess I was thinking mines worth 2 years anyway, haha. Well thanks again, DRI

[QUOTE=DRI;45339]Hey thanks! That was all good info. I suppose a 3rd Mate unlmt. out of an academy will have his license treated as a 4 year degree for the purpose of working on the office side of a marine transportation company as well I guess it should. I guess I was thinking mines worth 2 years anyway, haha. Well thanks again, DRI[/QUOTE]

A third mate unlimited out of an academy will have his license treated as a 4 year degree for those purposes because he/she will have obtained a 4 year bachelor degree from that institution, prior to or immediately after testing for their license.

[QUOTE=Diesel;45342]A third mate unlimited out of an academy will have his license treated as a 4 year degree for those purposes because he/she will have obtained a 4 year bachelor degree from that institution, prior to or immediately after testing for their license.[/QUOTE]

One of the requirements for a 3/AE-3/M license from an Academy is the successful completion of a 4 year degree program.

Be wary of Colleges giving credit for “life experience”. Frequently those institutions are unaccredited and the “degrees” are essentially worthless.

[QUOTE=KPEngineer;45397]Be wary of Colleges giving credit for “life experience”. Frequently those institutions are unaccredited and the “degrees” are essentially worthless.[/QUOTE]

The one I posted is accredited by DOE, and there are several, but what you mention are diploma mill type schools. They are accredited, but not by any institution accredited by DOE. So, it’s not based on if they’re accredited or not, but if the DOE recognizes each particular institution. Diploma mills get pretty creative. Using certification and licenses of a mariner does not fall into the realm of “life experience”. There are a lot of schools (MITAGS is one), certificates, and licenses that can be converted to college credits through ACE. http://www.acenet.edu/AM/Template.cfm?Section=CCRS

There are - the “big 3” - schools that DOE recognizes, which are the most liberal in converting college credit: Excelsior College, Thomas Edison State College and Charter Oak State College.

Check out the ACE Guide, I was able to receive college credit as outlined at theis link http://www.militaryguides.acenet.edu/ShowAceOccupations.asp?aceid=NER-QM-001 from my Navy Quartermaster experience which is tantamount to the knowledge and skills of Mates and Masters; query the ACE folks to see if they will give similar credit. Once the ACE credit is obtained it’s still up to the individual Colleges to decide to accept that credit or not but most adult targeted colleges will.

This isn’t exactly on topic but I recently found a British school that will count a Master - Unlimited as about half of the required credits for a Master’s Degree from them. I don’t remember the school offhand but try a google search on ‘maritime graduate degrees’ as I think that is what I was searching.