Consolidating CG inspection offices for MODUs

Interesting idea. Not sure I have an opinion. I’m not a fan of centralized anything although this may be good for the customer.

It flies in the face of the Sector Concept though, which I thought was a Sacred Cow within the CG. They already took away licensing and vessel documentation from local offices. What’s next? One office for supply boats, one for crew boats, one for pollution response?

[QUOTE=Orniphobe;116823]Interesting idea. Not sure I have an opinion. I’m not a fan of centralized anything although this may be good for the customer.

It flies in the face of the Sector Concept though, which I thought was a Sacred Cow within the CG. They already took away licensing and vessel documentation from local offices. What’s next? One office for supply boats, one for crew boats, one for pollution response?

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2013-08-07/pdf/2013-19098.pdf[/QUOTE]

Consistency and experience are over-rated.

Centralizing licensing has been a GREAT success…

Not sure if it is good idea. Recently a large osv company had to replace a large amount of their FRC’s because they were operating on a temporary certificate of approval that expired in 2002. To me it seemed blatantly obvious because it was written in english and english is my primary language. USCG Inspectors were told that just because the certificate ran out did not mean these boats were not approved because they were approved before that date. New inspector came in who did not retire to a job with this company and lo and behold, they had to replace them all.

This is the reason inspectors and regulators should not be able to hire on after they retire with any company they dealt with while performing their duties for a minimum of ten years. Politicians should have the same restrictions placed upon them but only a constitutional amendment would allow that to happen because they won’t do it to themselves. That would kill their cash cow, just like inspectors and regulators.

Which would be better then…

OCMI at D8 or at one existing M unit? Would they move all the inspectors there, or just dispatch from one place?