Confused about MMC drug test requirements

Hi folks, just trying to fulfill this particular part of the MMC, specifically me applying for the MMC. Do I need to go to a testing facility that I select myself, like for instance my family doctor? Or am I only supposed to go to certain doctors that are USCG approved? If so can anyone tell me where to find those? Many thanks!

Aspiring Mariner

Drug Testing requirements for the MMC are here on the NMC Website with all of the other application requirements:

National Maritime Center Drug Testing Requirements

where you’ll find this document with more info:

I highly recommend you become familiar with the NMC website.

Many thanks Shipeng, I believe I was mistakenly looking at specifically Coast Guard drug requirements. This makes alot more sense.

You can go to anyone that is a certified specimen collector for DOT drug test panels. Most industrial clinics have a certified specimen collector on staff.

Google ‘DOT drug screen near me’ and they will be able to do it. Your family doctor may or may not depending on their practice and staff.

Many thanks Mak! That certainly narrows it down.

Anyone know how much these tests costs? Going to be without insurance the first few months I am in the US

You should be able to find one for $75-$100 depending on the area. Sometimes cheaper.

Once you’re employed, a letter from the company confirming that you participate in random testing is sufficient.

On the subject becoming a certified specimen collector yourself is a worthwhile investment if you want to move up. People are more willing to teach you things if you can cover their piss holding job.

Don’t forget to get your TWIC.

Option Three: Provide a letter attesting to pre-employment drug testing.

That almost sounds like an honor system? In other words they just trust you and I suppose the real drug tests begin when you are actually employed? Do I have that right?

No.

That would come from a company that you work for that has done the drug testing for you.

1 Like

I found a collection center on the DOT Collection Site locator in the PDF listed, above.
I made an appointment and went there to talk to them about the other requirements:

1. Can perform DOT 5 Panel Test that ONLY tests for Marijuana, Cocaine, Opiates,
    Phencyclidine, and Amphetamines
  2. The laboratory the specimen will be sent to is accredited by the Substance Abuse
    and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
  3. The results will be signed by a Certified Medical Review Officer (MRO)

Ok… They said they only do a 10 panel federal test :frowning:
They had NO idea about their testing lab, but she looked it up on google and apparently it is accredited by SAMHSA.
They had NO idea who signs what at the lab.

Further, the drug testing form I’d printed out… she said they don’t do anything with that. But it looks like there are spots for the lab and MRO to fill things out. Is that form to be sent with the sample? Or just for me to fill out when I get the info??

Has anyone been through this before? Why am I having such trouble figuring out how this all works??

Any help appreciated–I will call the MMC place on Monday to try to get some answers–I’ll report back here with what I find out (and don’t find out).

But I thought I’d ask here first, since a 2 day wait until I can call.

Thanks!

Umm what, you’re making this way more complicated then it needs to be. Just go to QUEST diagnostics, or any other place that does workplace physicals/lab work. And get the letter from them. Like other said it costs around $100 more or less. Just submit the form that the drug testing center gives you.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I just got done with MMC support, and was told that they only accept the 5 Panel test. The colleciton site I was at said they only do 10 Panel tests, for whatever reason. Thank god I didn’t buy that service, even though not a whole lot of money, still don’t want to waste any.
Essentially MMC help said to ask them specifically if they do DOT 5 Panel Exams, and ask them if their lab is SAMHSA Accredited.
So now on the search for a collection site that knows if their lab is certified without having to google themselves :confused:

Contact Center Agent 7
15:32:07 You will need to locate a facility in your area that can complete a DOT 5 Panel Exam. They must use a SAMHSA Accredited Lab, and have a Medical Review Officer (MRO) in good standing to sign off on your results. You may use the SAMHSA link located on the left hand side of our drug testing page https://www.dco.uscg.mil/nmc/drug_testing/. The SAMHSA link will provide you with a list of accredited labs. If you are able to locate a lab in your area, you may call them to ask where a collection facility is located. If you are not successful with finding results using this tool, we suggest doing a general Internet search for drug testing locations in your area and then calling them to see if any of them are able to meet the above listed requirements.

Contact Center Agent 7
15:32:18 You are not required to use the CG-719P Periodic Drug Testing Form, however it is useful in ensuring that all information needed is provided. We will also accept letters or a Federal Chain of Custody form, lab letterhead and company letters as long as all information required is provided depending on which option you are using. The drug cannot be over 6 months old (Conducted within the past 185 days (from the date of application)). You can find the drug test requirement options at this link: https://www.dco.uscg.mil/nmc/drug_testing/

Contact Center Agent 7
15:32:37 If the lab does not know if it is SAMHSA accredited then ask for a supervisor or find another lab.,

I joined this consortium:
https://apcadrugtesting.com/

I was working for myself, freelancing on yachts.

$95 for first test. $85 annual renewal. When I worked for a Company with a Testing Program, they sent a letter that I was in Compliance and was put on the Comany Program.