Coast Guard changes TWIC requirements

Just read an article stating that the Coast Guard is finally easing some rules on the beloved TWIC card.

To quote a popular website,

"The policy letter, effective Dec. 29, provides immediate relief for mariners who otherwise would need to obtain a TWIC card to get or renew their MMC. The policy letter also provides the Coast Guard with an expedient means to comply with a portion of the requirements set forth in Section 809 of the Coast Guard Authorization Act of 2010.

“These changes eliminate the TWIC requirement for mariners who operate vessels not required to have a vessel security plan or who are not actively sailing on their merchant mariner credential,” Capt. Eric Christensen, chief of the Office of Vessel Activities in Washington, D.C, said in a statement. “This policy letter solution uses Coast Guard resources and capabilities to lessen the impact on an estimated 60,000 mariners while we work on a regulatory solution to address the full scope of Section 809.”

Too bad they don’t do away with it all together. I know there have been several bad experiences just obtaining this card. Seems like we have IDs for our IDs…the only time I’ve used mine is at the airport.

So this means that charter boats captains and the like wouldnt need them, thats smart. What would be smarter still is doing away with the whole thing. Isnt my MMC enough??

Posted this a while back: 18 months or so ago I went to the Federal Building in Long Beach, CA to take my Coast Guard exam. I had been out of the country for about a year and my driver’s license had expired. But I had my TWIC card! End result is I was not allowed in the building :frowning:

Since then I have used it as an ID to get on an airplane. Whoopee!

[QUOTE=PMC;60250]Posted this a while back: 18 months or so ago I went to the Federal Building in Long Beach, CA to take my Coast Guard exam. I had been out of the country for about a year and my driver’s license had expired. But I had my TWIC card! End result is I was not allowed in the building :frowning:

Since then I have used it as an ID to get on an airplane. Whoopee![/QUOTE]

Ridiculous huh??

See also http://gcaptain.com/forum/professional-mariner-forum/7842-twic-policy-letter.html

[QUOTE=Mikey;60252]See also http://gcaptain.com/forum/professional-mariner-forum/7842-twic-policy-letter.html[/QUOTE]

Sorry man, I should have used the search function first!