The Coast Guard has published a new policy letter concerning TWICs for credentialed mariners.
The Coast Guard Authorization Act of 2010 amended the U.S. Code provisions about who has to hold a TWIC. The provisions concerning mariners were changed, previously all mariners issued a Coast Guard merchant mariner credential (MMC) were required to hold a TWIC. After the change, the Coast Guard is permitted to exempt any mariner who does not require unescorted access to a secure area of a vessel from the requirement to hold a valid TWIC as a precondition of receiving and holding an MMC. The new CG-543 Policy Letter 11-15 implements this statutory change.
The policy letter is available on Coast Guard “Homeport.” Direct links to documents on Homeport do not work, following are instructions to find it:
- Go to Homeport at http://homeport.uscg.mil
- In the column headed “Missions” on the far left, select “Domestic Vessels.”
- Under the heading “Domestic Vessel Policy” select “Office of Vessel Activities Policy Letters.”
- Select Office of Vessel Activities Policy Letters (again).
- Find CG-543 Policy Letter 11-15.