Chouest paying 970 a day in Brazil?

Anyone hear this figure thrown around for people with 1600/3000/6000 capt. Lic?

Is that IT??? I’m making that in the GoM for the Horse. I can drive my car to Fourchon too.
I thought ECO was paying more than everyone else. Guess knot.

I wish bud, lead pay in the GoM at ECO is 850

[QUOTE=manatee;95501]Anyone hear this figure thrown around for people with 1600/3000/6000 capt. Lic?[/QUOTE]

Yes, that is true on many boats there. That is the top rate, plus 20 for overseas.

[QUOTE=anchorman;95554]Yes, that is true on many boats there. That is the top rate, plus 20 for overseas.[/QUOTE]

20 WHAT for overseas. Dollars or % ???

That’s a damn shame!

CHOUEST needs to give us s god damned raise… And they wonder why we are loosing people.

950 a day is not enough for you manatee.

[QUOTE=manatee;95801]CHOUEST needs to give us s god damned raise… And they wonder why we are loosing people.[/QUOTE]

If you can’t make it on $850, you won’t make it on $970. How much more will it take to bust the Jones act and give your job to a Filipino for 10% of what you make now? It is the stroke of a pen away.

[QUOTE=ElCapitan;95802]950 a day is not enough for you manatee.[/QUOTE]

$850/day is about $155000/yr which is what a mate, 2AE or jr. DPO makes on some of the drilling rigs. So, comparing license requirements I’d say $850/day is reasonable for GOM work on an OSV.

[QUOTE=texamerican1;95806]If you can’t make it on $850, you won’t make it on $970. How much more will it take to bust the Jones act and give your job to a Filipino for 10% of what you make now? It is the stroke of a pen away.[/QUOTE]

I for one don’t think the OMSA right now wants to get into a political battle and do away with the Jones Act because you must remember the Jones Act also gives them a protected territory. I also would not argue that wage blackmail via a Jones Act threat is a reason to not wish for higher wages. When and if they cannot retain people with the qualifications needed they will increase the wages. Those who can leave and make more money should do so of they wish. Those who cannot leave and make more money but desire to do so should ask themselves why that is and take steps to remedy their situation or just be patient.

Do you get a free Brazillian too?

What rigs do 2 A/E’s make 155k on?

I’m just saying it would be nice to be in the ball park with the other companies. That is all I am saying. We loose Capt’s and mates left and right.

[QUOTE=“manatee;95902”]I’m just saying it would be nice to be in the ball park with the other companies. That is all I am saying. We loose Capt’s and mates left and right.[/QUOTE]

Yeah we lose them but remember all the boats we had with 7 captains onboard after DWH when everyone else was laying off or cutting pay.

Sorry, I would rather work fir a loyal company with good equipment who watches my back rather than being a whore to the highest bidder.

My 2 cents.

[QUOTE=tengineer;95846]I for one don’t think the OMSA right now wants to get into a political battle and do away with the Jones Act because you must remember the Jones Act also gives them a protected territory. I also would not argue that wage blackmail via a Jones Act threat is a reason to not wish for higher wages. When and if they cannot retain people with the qualifications needed they will increase the wages. Those who can leave and make more money should do so of they wish. Those who cannot leave and make more money but desire to do so should ask themselves why that is and take steps to remedy their situation or just be patient.[/QUOTE]

Sound reasoning, and I hope you are right. if it was only up to OMSA the Jones act would be a sure thing for ages to come but since they only play an advisory / lobbyist role and Congress and Senate are the ones to enact or repeal Acts such as the Jones Act, room for speculation exists. To think that politicians (such as McCain and Reid) have given up on their quest to repeal the JA, and that they won’t use the $80K salaries of unskilled labor (ABs & QMEDS) as a springboard is underestimating them.
Everyone should remain as upwardly mobile, both in position and financial status, as their ambition allows.

[QUOTE=BMCSRetired;95906] rather than being a whore to the highest bidder.

My 2 cents.[/QUOTE]

We’re all whores with a different business model…or at least we are (or in some cases were) treated in the industry…My 2 cents!

[QUOTE=tengineer;95846]I for one don’t think the OMSA right now wants to get into a political battle and do away with the Jones Act because you must remember the Jones Act also gives them a protected territory. I also would not argue that wage blackmail via a Jones Act threat is a reason to not wish for higher wages. When and if they cannot retain people with the qualifications needed they will increase the wages. Those who can leave and make more money should do so of they wish. Those who cannot leave and make more money but desire to do so should ask themselves why that is and take steps to remedy their situation or just be patient.[/QUOTE]
Everyone should be as upwardly mobile both position wise as financially as their ambition permits. The highest attainable wage is the goal and the driving force behind why we leave our homes to come here. That being said, if it was only up to OMSA the Jones Act would hardly have any threats. Unfortunately their role is only an advisory and lobbyist capacity to those that make the laws and pass or repeal the acts,… Congress and Senate. If politicians like McCain and Reid can use the fact that unskilled labor (O/S, A/B & QMED ratings) making $80K/year as a springboard to repeal the JA based on costs they will use it [U]again[U]. The last was in 2010. An article is on gCaptain today of another angle. Bank wisely my friend.

[ATTACH]2838[/ATTACH]

We all need to know one thing and one thing only!

[QUOTE=manatee;95515]I wish bud, lead pay in the GoM at ECO is 850[/QUOTE]

In 2003…I can’t believe it has been 10 years now. I was making $330 bucks a day on the Laney Chouest. I was embarrassed to even tell anyone that asked. I would think that 850 or a 520 dollar a day increase over ten years is not too bad.

Of course I am on a rig now so it really doesn’t matter. Hopefully my supply boat days are gone forever. It was fun.