Chances of Getting Hired by MSC

I was talking to a friend of mine who has been trying to get into MSC for 5 years. He has an AB, stcw, MMC, twic and sea time on a large vessel.

He said that it would be easier to win the lottery than to get into MSC. This was discouraging to say the least.

Can anyone shed some light on the subject? I am waiting for an OS positon to open up.

Thanks!

You’ll want to watch this site, http://www.sealiftcommand.com/resources/now-hiring. MSC will only hire through vacancy announcements. But they are always hiring someone. Just check that website every couple of weeks. As with the rest of this industry entry level work can be difficult to get. But persistence pays off. Do what you have to do and go where you have to go to get some seatime and some ratings. If you’re dead set on MSC you would improve your chances by getting some engineering ratings. But keeping an eye on their hiring site is your best bet.

[QUOTE=Capt. Itchy;49065]You’ll want to watch this site, http://www.sealiftcommand.com/resources/now-hiring. MSC will only hire through vacancy announcements. But they are always hiring someone. Just check that website every couple of weeks. As with the rest of this industry entry level work can be difficult to get. But persistence pays off. Do what you have to do and go where you have to go to get some seatime and some ratings. If you’re dead set on MSC you would improve your chances by getting some engineering ratings. But keeping an eye on their hiring site is your best bet.[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much! It is actually my homepage. I will watch it like a hawk. I have called them and they said they have sent me an application package but I haven’t recieved it yet. It doesn’t matter because there are no openings for me right now. I want to fill it out and mail it in rather than do it online. I feel more confident that way. What do you think?

I’ve applied with MSC a few times as well, I was told I was qualified for the positions applied for, but was turned down. Veterans are priorty to hire first so I understand one possible reason why I didn’t get on.

Seems like it’s easier to get in as an SU, clean passageways for a couple months until the next promotion board, then get promoted from within. Believe it or not, they’re actually short OS’s right now, but they’d rather promote SU’s up than hire new people. Just some food for thought.

MSC tends to hire in patterns. For example they will first publish master promotion opportunities followed a few months later by 1st officer promotion opportunities, then 2nd, 3rd and so on. So as people move up they leave vacancies that need to be filled. This is not an exact science. MSC will hire out of order as needed.

So for those looking to get on as ordinary seaman I recommend you check to see what promotions MSC is working on now. http://www.msc.navy.mil/civmar/promotions/opportunities.htm (Its 1st officers and able seaman this May.) As ordinary seaman follow the able seaman I would say odds are good that they start looking for ordinary seaman in June.

Don’t bet the farm on it, but it’s a good indicator of likely behavior.

Also I would not recommend accepting a different position thinking you will move into the position you want sooner, it usually is not.

[QUOTE=CMA_Decky;49115]Seems like it’s easier to get in as an SU, clean passageways for a couple months until the next promotion board, then get promoted from within. Believe it or not, they’re actually short OS’s right now, but they’d rather promote SU’s up than hire new people. Just some food for thought.[/QUOTE]

Forgive me but what is an SU? I would be happy just to get hired!

Gerald Perry

I believe it is a Stewart Utility. It was the lowest starting position back when I did deep sea. Not bad work, and a good starting place.
Good luck

Hi well I sailed for 3 yrs as an AB.quit 2002 .I have a good friend who has 27 yrs in and as I am writting this he is in the crew pool in San Diego which is the west coast waiting area for MSC people waitng to be sent out to a ship. He says there are so many people there waitng for a ship ( well over a 100) its un real he has never seen it like this .I also have a friend in upper mangment who I chat with once in a while. I think you might have a hard time getting in since so many people need work and I don think there is much hiring at the momemt .So I dont think it looks good. I have no urge to return I know I go could go right back since I have conections but no thanks , I wish you the best but just being honest .and the 3 mates and cargo mates on most ships come from Maratime schools who dont know jack and are usually a real pain to deal with.

Three summers ago (summer '08 ) it was much worse. There were more than three hundred people in each pool and more than a hundred in New Jersey. One hundred in San Diego is a little high but not abnormally so.

This time of year many people are playing games to stay in the pool using medical, document renewals and training tricks so they can be home or at least stateside for the summer. Same thing happens between Thanksgiving and New Years.

It’s nothing to worry about.

[QUOTE=mradventure;49244]and the 3 mates and cargo mates on most ships come from Maratime schools who dont know jack and are usually a real pain to deal with.[/QUOTE]

Easy there pal. If it weren’t for the maritime grads I’m not sure the industry would survive.

With all due respect, a third mate fresh from an academy is an ordinary seaman with a license.

Ohh I beg to differ there. A third fresh out of the academy at least knows which way the pointy end goes. Most ordinary’s are lucky they can find the shitter.

I’ve saiiled with both new acadamy grads that couldn’t find their asses with both hands and with new acadamy grads who were sharp as a tack. Same with O/s’s, A/b’s etc…

An SU is called a supply utility! Its probably the worst job on earth/ sea! Trust me I know! After two weeks, and 12 hours + a day you will make $744.38! That’s for 12 days of work, with an hour a day over time! Pretty sure MC Donald’s would pay you more! Don’t want to discourage you, but that is what your in for!

Depends on the ship.

I was on the USNS John Lenthall , basically a tanker. Yea, your right about the ship. My friends got less, because they had no over time!

[QUOTE=gatormariner;49280]An SU is called a supply utility! Its probably the worst job on earth/ sea! Trust me I know! After two weeks, and 12 hours + a day you will make $744.38! That’s for 12 days of work, with an hour a day over time! Pretty sure MC Donald’s would pay you more! Don’t want to discourage you, but that is what your in for![/QUOTE]

12+ hours a day would be 4+ hours OT, not 1 hour OT; so which is it? Did you only get 1 hour OT or were you working 3 hours for free?

yes you are right about not much overtime on MSC tankers .I sailed on AFS ship ad AEs ( ammo) the AEs make the money since they do cargo ops Alot they are also the scurge of the ocean and NO onw wants them in there ports so be ready not to see much land unless you LIke Quam alot.if your west coast.They( the MSC pool in San diego) just sent 20 people TODAY to a ship in Quam which is one of the new ships that do both. whic they are crewing up after a yard period there.I must ad mit if your an AB your chances area alot better . and I will ship ANY DAY with a hawspiper mate over a cadet . and Living near a Maratine school and see waht i see they are book kids .and they do1 or 2 trips a school season on there ship as a student so please I see both. And MSC is the PI navy ( philapino ) and they account for a VERY VERY large portion of the deck and even a larger portion of the stewards dept .I have been the miniorty in the deck dept compaired to them .The usualy have a wife in PI and girfriend in Quam and one in the states . If you doubt me go ship out .if not I have my good friend who I chat with alot who has 27 yrs in who will tell you the exact same things I have just wrote to you.The 3 rd mates are like a revolving door in MSC they dont last much more that a year or 2 at the most. As for work .try to search for for someone in Virgina which is wehre it all happens from . I wish you the best of luck.PS I am not down on MSC but becareful waht you ask for .for me it was interesting ,i knew I had no intentions of staying .was not into the bar scenes and got to ride my mtn bike in some great places .but that was befor 911 .know hey do there best to keep the ships at sea even its just sitting there chipping paint , and in case you do not know MSC means 1 most senior citzens ans most of all More Shit comming . good luck HAZE GRAY UNDERWAY.

You wear your disdain of book learnin’ like a badge. . . .