Censorship issue

We are civil. Some are not, don’t put me in that category.

According to me. As stated.

Yes, being you is a heinous offense. My opinion matters to me. As I said before when I said I find you guilty. I, in capital letters. I care. It matters to ME.

Kinda getting off subject aren’t we?

1 Like

What is it that matters so much you can’t debate it?

There should be. There is a reason why most if not all of us avoid political discussions on the boat/ship. If you are in one of those rare instances where the whole crew is on the same page, have at it.
Not everyone has ever been on the same page here. It can become toxic real quick.

Oh please, you’ve never had a political conversation on the midwatch with you’re oiler/os/AB/cadet? This is how healthy understanding and conversation starts and grows.

Yes, per usual you brought up something unrelated.

That soley depends on the participants. Not to sound cynical, but it usually doesn’t go well. Yes, i’ve had conversations with those on the same page…and those that aren’t. I don’t care how diplomatic you think you are these days, it still isn’t a good idea to jump down this rabbit hole.

Everything these days is magnified 100% because of the current unrest and climate. I’ve come so close to calling my HR department to complain about someone i work with who repeatedly, after being asked many times nicely to stop, peddles his rhetoric to anyone within earshot of him.

2 Likes

You don’t have to be on the same page to have a civil conversation or an understanding of differences.

This forum isn’t your company. There is no HR to report to. If you don’t like the topic, don’t read the thread. I’ve made this point before and some posters don’t seem to understand the idea of not participating when the thread doesn’t fit their interests. Think of the forum as library, with hundreds of thousands of books. If you’re a guy who likes fiction, why the hell would you select the book on astrophysics unless you wanted to be more informed/learn about the subject? You wouldn’t. Don’t like the topic, don’t open the thread.

You lost me on astrophysics.

No shit. My point is, more times than not it doesn’t stay civil…especially these days.

I’m just throwing in my two cents. There is enough grief and division outside of this forum, let alone in it. I agree with the accusation that the leftist rhetoric is accepted here, and usually anything to the contrary is ‘censored’ somehow…which is all the more reason to just avoid it all together here to be fair for all.

I know damn well i don’t have to participate here if i don’t want to and most of the time i avoid anything political here just for this reason.

3 Likes

Oh, I agree. So …

Being “fair for all” is not avoiding a topic that is being censored. Being fair for all is allowing BOTH sides of the coin to be shown. Being fair for all is defending those who’s voices are being censored for disagreeing. Whether I agree politically or not with one side or the other is not relevant, what is relevant is both sides being heard or we enter an Orwellian dystopia where all you have is one side.

The people on this forum have a unique perspective on politics. We’re government contractors, Navy civilians, retired USMM/Navy Captains, our worlds cross over into places most ordinary citizens lives do not. To say we should avoid politics on this forum because it would upset some people is bs. If you’re an adult, and you understand the 1st amendment, there should be no issue with a discussion of opposing views. If you get pissed off at someone disagreeing with you, then you’re just, as the boomers say “a snowflake.”

I totally agree with you…but it is what it is.

That’s a cop out. Grow a pair. Are you scared of some mods on a forum who don’t even know your real name? Jesus man. It only “is what it is” until it isn’t anymore. That’s when it becomes “it used to be better than this” or “we used to have the freedom to do this”. It sounds ridiculous and apocalyptic, but that’s how these things start.

Just back the hell up. At this point in the game i’d rather move on. I’ve been on here for a few years and have never had any problems with the mods, and lord knows they could have spanked my dick more than a few times. I didn’t jump in to this shitshow of a thread to create more conflict, i just wanted to point out the negatives of the conflict.
I have bigger fish to fry. Technically christmas is canceled cause of covid 19 but i’ll still get to deal with a household of family members with differing political point of views. There are some very happy people right now and some very angry people right now. Our whole nation is going thru this. My point is its time to put the bullshit aside and get thru it together, because it will only be harder the way we are going about it.

I don’t disagree with the notion we should get thru this, whatever “this” may be, together. But no one from opposite sides of the aisle are going to hold hands and sing Kumbaya and the dark ages will be over. How long can we sit around and say “it is what it is” before it no longer is that way and it’s something way shittier?

‘This’ is a common and reoccuring theme of division and disconnect. I’m not intending to be cryptic.
You are spot on and are preaching to the choir so to speak.

1 Like

Being a “Boomer” and expressing an opinion based on many years of experience is not a bad thing. Perhaps some don’t agree, I got my hands dirty on the way up, not my effing problem if you know a better path. A good way for an early exit or censorship is to bring up politics at the family dinner or picnic. You just have to time it right. Same goes for the galley or bridge. LMAO

Maybe it is generational, but I was always taught one of the first rules of watch standing (on the bridge anyway ((besides looking out the window)) ) was to not talk of politics or religion. It has the potential to boil over very quickly and poison the atmosphere of teamwork between two or more professionals.

Don’t even get me started on if Pilots want to talk politics. I just smile and nod.

2 Likes