Captains or Other Crew that you Would Not Sail With

[QUOTE=cmakin;161080]Hate sailing with crazy people? Man, I think just about EVERY vessel I sailed on had at least one. Wait. The crazy one was usually me. . . . I am waiting for stories about me now. . . . I drove one of my assistants so crazy that he jumped off before the gangway was down at Port Everglades. . . good riddance. . .[/QUOTE]

Sure, but for every step up the ladder multiply the crazy factor by 1000. I can carry a crazy AB back to the states but if it’s one of the officers your’re going to be hurting. I don’t like sailing with anything less then a top notch chief. A crazy chief is bad news.

Posting this on the very much off-chance somebody else encountered him 30 years ago. He went by another name but we learned his given name was really “Elmer”. He was from somewhere very far below the Mason-Dixon line. He was a 1 A/E with a motor endorsement sailing coastwise and then later in the Maersk prepositioning fleet. He was as mean as a snake and took sadistic pleasure in antagonizing those younger and less experienced, and this is when he was sober. But when he was lit up (very important detail—always on Kessler Whiskey; this was pre-Exxon Valdez, mind you), he was nothing short of a full-blown terrorist. I’m actually grateful to the guy, he figured importantly in my decision to go shoreside ahead of plan.

I probably wouldn’t sail with c.captain / scooter.

What I hear from the fleet is the Captain and his relief on that blue & white boat in Seattle can’t operate/run the boat. They had to bring in other guys to maneuver it off the dock. IMO that’s one Captain/Crew I’d never sail with. Who has ever heard of such?

I also hear they can’t keep water out of the fuel, or the tow wire in the water.

I worked on a tug in NYwith a guy who was mate at the time. I heard hes captain at vane now. He was from alabama and had a bad lisp. He was a pathological liar. He told me straight faced he invented the two stroke engine. He was a really bad boat handler and always parted lines moving barges and then Blamed the deck crew for not making lines fast correctly. He would take alot of pleasure in tormenting anyone new that came on the boat and drove the engineer crazy. The engineer happened to be a great guy and excellent chief so it was hard to watch. The last day i worked with him he took me to our yard around 1300 for crew change. I could see my relief in the dock waiting for me. At the last minute he turned away from the dock and heading back to imtt bayonne for fuel which took another 6 hours and looked down with a big grin on his face and said you’ll have to wait. I left the company after that hitch and the next hitch i heard he ran a Reinauer barge aground down by tottenville.

[QUOTE=z-drive;161144]I also hear they can’t keep water out of the fuel, or the tow wire in the water.[/QUOTE]

That is true, that boat will never Tow anything ever again. It was tried and she failed miserably on all occasions. Client now knows better.

Are his initials JC??

My first job as mate was running Seattle to Alaska on a small freighter for the fisheries. After a couple years my regular captain got hired away to the Sunmar Sea. (He got fired after one trip).

The mate from the company’s other ship came over as captain. On our first trip to Alaska he ran aground in Shiloshole Bay, less then an hour into our trip. We backed off with no damage. Later that same trip, the night the All Alaskan went aground on St. Paul Island, we parted our anchor chain a couple hours after I told him the swell direction had changed and the chain was taking a heavy strain.

I took the next trip off to make a trip back to Maine. I planned to upgrade to a 500 ton license but when I got back to Seattle I learned that working in Bristol Bay he had backed into a sand bar, busted off the rudder. The rudder went through the prop and then punched a hole in the bottom.

The company went bankrupt shortly after that. I went to work at MSC.

I saw the same guy in the paper later, he’d fallen asleep and ran aground in Puget Sound. Oddly I saw his name in the paper one other time when he caught a large halibut from a skiff in Dutch Harbor…It was 18 pounds less the the largest halibut ever caught in Alaska but It didn’t make the record book as he had to shoot it with a pistol to get it in the skiff.

Hahahahhah! Yes.

He worked @ Mac NY till they ran him to Norfolk. He claimed he was a badass & had a warrant for his arrest for beating some dude. Come to find out it was for beating a woman. When he ran that barge aground the captain on the boat flunked his pee test.

The captain on the boat who flunked pee test was actually an awesome captain and great shipmate. Wish him well wherever he is.

Cant say im surprised at all that guy beats women. He is possibly the biggest scumbag ive ever met in my entire life. I would love to meet up with him off the boat somewhere he couldn’t get away from me.

[QUOTE=acesouthcoast;161170]The captain on the boat who flunked pee test was actually an awesome captain and great shipmate. Wish him well wherever he is.[/QUOTE]
Really ? Are you freaking kidding me ! A guy who can’t lay off the street drugs, oh what an awsome guy, NO he is a freaking disgrace to the merchant marine. As regulated as we are, and you do street drugs that is not smart ! Then a captain no less, what an awesome example of a disgrace !!

D
What are street drugs? Did you just graduate from the 2nd grade DARE program? It was marijuana and yes he is a great guy. He taught me alot about running a tug in New York and always helped out all over the boat. People make mistakes. Get over it.

Brian Augie and Jake the Snake

ROFLOA. :o its a small world after all… thats what alot of people just dont realize.

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;161182]Brian Augie and Jake the Snake[/QUOTE]
ROFLAO. :o Augie was decent to me but as captain i bet he would have been a dick. Alot of guys dont realize how small of a world it is.

Also said he could whip anyone’s ass on the dock, until a big Honduran who was 6’5 or so walked down the dock. He shut up.

I would not hire such ruffians. Is this the common sort who work on tugs up north?

[QUOTE=Jeaux Bawss;161207]I would not hire such ruffians. Is this the common sort who work on tugs up north?[/QUOTE]

I think this individual is attempting to be a semi professional shit stirrer. :rolleyes: