Captain for Tuna Fishing

A company based in Fiji is looking for an experienced Captain for the Tuna Fishing Vessel. The ship is Korean-built, in excellent condition, with freezer, just after major overhaul, ready for operations, has licenses. We fish Tuna in Southern Pacific, legal contracts, great salary plus % of catch, can discuss options. Please reply to icemaiden4ever@yahoo.com

Is this a longline vessel?

Hey Doug!!

You’re up dude!!

Ooh, ooh, pick me, pick me! I could use a good reason to sue somebody! (My coffers are getting a little low…)

Please provide:
American LLC owner’s name, please, and the name of the Korean charterer.
Name, IMO number and callsign of the vessel.
Current USCG fishing vessel inspection decal?
Number and nationality of deck and engineering officers
Number and nationality of unlicensed deck and engineering crew
Interpreter on board?
Are you calling the Master a “Navigator”?
Is the Master accommodated in the Master’s cabin, according to the ship’s general plan?
Does the LLC that owns the vessel, and the Korean company that charters the vessel acknowledge and respect the legal chain of command?
Does the fishing “master” acknowledge and follow the legal chain of command?
If so, does he then model that behavior to the junior officers that share his nationality?
If not, please explain.
Make, model and condition of the incinerator on board.
Condition of the Oily Water Separator.
FFA license number.
NOAA fishing license number.

Thank you.

[QUOTE=skinny stick;21934]Is this a longline vessel?[/QUOTE]
yes, it’s longline, fully equipped

:rolleyes:

For more about tuna, click here.

I used to work aboard a big San Diego seiner named the “Mercury” . . .

It still makez me lol whens I thinkz 'bout it . . .

I have extensive “east wall”, canyon, and grand banks longline experience…but much like dougpine, I have questions…LOA, # of crew…on a much more personal note, DO I really want to jeopardize the already shakey existence of the domestic longline fishery by using my homegrown knowledge base and skills to fatten an asian corps account?

No answers to the questions, eh bigeye?

Fiji sure sounds nice though…I mean what’s a guy to do with the economy kinda squirley and all. It’s warm AND the surf there is amazing not to mention the diving.
C’mon bigeye, just tell me the whole crew is from jersey and I’ll book a flight tomorrow…
A!

It IS nice working out that way. I would love to go back someday under better conditions. As a matter of fact, there is legislation pending in the Senate that would require the owners of the American flagged “distant waters” fishing fleet to seek American crew before they are allowed to hire foreigners.

Just as an informal poll: How many here would apply for employment on these boats if it was made mandatory that all of the crew positions were posted for American applicants first? Click HERE to vote!

Ahh the Grand Banks in the 1980’s…Those were the days… Makes all the Merchant Marine work seem easy…

I know right…when I hear guys talk about 6 and 6 rotation like it’s hard I remember 20and 4 and how that wore on you after a few weeks.

“…you can sleep when you’re dead here’s a cup of coffee, now shut up and get it done they ain’t gonna gut themselves, and remember, safety third.”

[quote=sea star;22645]I know right…when I hear guys talk about 6 and 6 rotation like it’s hard I remember 20and 4 and how that wore on you after a few weeks.

“…you can sleep when you’re dead here’s a cup of coffee, now shut up and get it done they ain’t gonna gut themselves, and remember, safety third.”[/quote]

I’ll bet that’s why there are so many fishermen out there working 20 and 4 who are in their 50s and 60s. It is so hard for the young guys to break in!

I knew that it was tough on a coastal tanker for me, thats why I quit the first time, but I have to give kudos to the fisherman for hard work