Capt. Paul Wilson arrested in Greenland

PS> Not ALL whale species are endangered, which includes the North Atlantic Minke Whale:

Minke is the ONLY whale species hunted and eaten in Norway and the catch is regulated by an annual quota (which is never reached):

Norwegian whaling explained by an active whaler:

Doesn’t make it right. Among the countries where whales are still hunted for commercial reasons, Norway ranks first.

2 Likes

My understanding is that the Japanese Whaling Industry (at times done in the name of “science”) isn’t even profitable any more, but instead persists while subsidized heavily by the Japanese government to ensure it keeps operational on some level. Apparently it is seen as a critical hedge against food insecurity for a nation small in area but densely populated, that often leans heavily on imported sources of food.

It’s a “self-allocated”;quota. How convenient.

1 Like

I presume you are against hunting of any non-endangered species then?
Or does your opposition to hunting only apply to minke whales?

The quota is set based on international research and stock counting in the hunting area:

A catch of 1154 animal out of a stock of 220k individuals in the North Atlantic is less than what is killed by natural causes, vessel strikes and strandings.

BTW; Who set the hunting and fishing quota for different species in the US?

Sadly, CCaptain is not here to berate the “Fat, Fraudulent, Fake…”

2 Likes

I’m sure he does, just not here, sadly

Honest question for @ombugge. Do people like to eat whale in Norway? I know in Japan it has become unpopular and as someone mentioned earlier, is heavily subsidized by the government.

Is it just because it is tradition or do people actually enjoy the preparation of whale for sustenance?

Personally, killing a whale or having any part of killing a whale would not interest me in the least and should be shunned. They are the single coolest aspect of going to sea for me. Seeing a whale in the wild is something very few get to experience and one of the main reasons for that is how overhunted they were.

Even in Melville’s “White Jacket,” the character Jack Chase (a veteran seaman respected by all on board, even the officers) showed intense contempt for whalers and anyone who had ever shipped aboard one.

I remember the whaling ships in Iceland years ago on a summer sea term and the cadets lining up at restaurants to have whale steak. I could never get myself to try it.

Whale meat is not staple food in Norway, but available in Supermarkets, specialized fishmongers and seafood restaurants. (It is not cheap)

Like in Japan and the rest of the world the young generation (born after 1990, or so) is hooked on fast food, like Hamburgers, Pizza, Tacos etc. but whale meat is still eaten by the older generations, especially in Northern and Western Norway.

BTW; we had whale meat on the grill a couple of days ago and still have some cuts in the freezer that we bought on special offer at a local supermarket.
PS> Marinated for a few hours with lemon juice to get rid of any “fishy” tast.

Here is a popular dish from Norway, called Hvalbiff (Whale Steak):

Source: Hvalbiff | Traditional Whale Meat Dish From Northern Norway, Norway | TasteAtlas

The Inuits also like their whale meat:

And some recipes from Japan:

Are you a hunter? If so, I just wonder why you think it is more “moral” to hunt deer, moose, or any other animals than to do the same with minke whales? (They are not endangered, or cuddly)
Or to kill cows, pig and sheep for meat, for that matter?

Seeing large wild animals in their natural habitat is not something most people experience, unless they go on a safari.
You can go on Whale Safari in many places around the world, incl. in Norway:

PS> Whale Safaries are probably more profitable for local communities that whale hunting.

I had a problem eating rattle snack in Houston Texas back in my younger days, but I tried it.
(tast a bit like chicken, if cooked right):

After many years of travelling the world and trying local food in places like Papua New Guinea (no, not “long pig”), West Africa (Bush meat) and all kinds of “exotic” food in China, S.E.Asia and beyond. I’m not criticizing, or characterizing anything I haven’t tasted.

You stick to your “Beans and Fatback”, or whatever goes for “typical American food” these days.
Meanwhile I’ll try anything once, before I make up my mind whether I like it, or not.

1 Like

Typical anti American bug jerkoff thread. Hope you choke on some whale meat.

7 Likes

Awww, so sensitive!!

I’m a native of Czechoslovakia, originally. But nice try.

Your hatred of all things America and American is showing once again.

5 Likes

So the typical Southern dish “Beans and Fatback” is anti-American now?:

I actually enjoyed a pot of this dish made by a homesick Texan who was Superintendent for Keydrill in Lagos, Nigeria back in the early 1980s.
Washed down with ice cold Star Lager it tasted GOOD after a week or more spent on a rig move off Escravos.

PS> I have also enjoyed authentic Cajun food (made by certified Coona…“Chefs”) many time and in many different places in the world.

Well, I assume ANYTHING said about anything American is anti-American when it is said by “one of them foreigners”.

Whatever is said by an American about ANYTHING foreign is gospel truth, no matter how inaccurate, or insulting.

1 Like

What people eat or won’t eat is often very much cultural thing.

2 Likes

The issue of whaling aside, Paul Watson is a pirate and I hope he spends the rest of his life behind bars. His tactics violated damn near every rule of the sea and put not only his incompetent crew of do-gooders in peril but also the crews of the whaling ships.

I kept hoping the Japanese CG or Navy would have sent one of Sea Sheppard’s ships to the bottom.

1 Like

He used to make some entertaining tv though.

2 Likes

They actually did.

1 Like

Both arrogant and amusing from a guy who lives in a place where the biggest section of the supermarket is tacos (frozen pizza a close second).

2 Likes

That looks delicious… I’ll have to give it a try when I finally make it to Norway.