Capt. D.J.Trump of the Titanic

From one of your posts:
…Putin is one of the smartest blokes around. He’s stayed in power for years (longer than allowed), remains popular with his people, and gets pretty much everything he wants. That’s not dumb.

But I suspect we agree in that, whilst he’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy…

Sounds to me like you got a thing for him. To each his own. To me, he’s an enemy of my country. The love child of a Thai lady boy and a rattlesnake. So I cut him no slack.

Riots? I lived through the riots of the 1960s and 1970s. Watts, LA, Ohio state, Paris, etc. Compared to those, the riots today are…

1 Like

The riots suck, no matter when or where they happen. Burning, looting, and killing innocent citizens is never ok, regardless if “One is more violent or worse than the other or cause is greater”. No matter what the reason, it takes away from the support for said cause. Everybody, quit being stupid and protect your neighbors and local, hard working small businesses.

I said he was smart. Most people agree. That doesn’t mean he’s not also a thug.

I said he was a naughty boy. Language not strong enough for you. I’ll say again. He’s a murderous thug. Watch some Monty Python and you’ll probably learn something.

So, tell me, were those riots you lived through perpetrated by conservative Christians? Republicans? National Rifle Association? Bhuddists? Mums, Dads and the kids of nuclear families?

Glad we agree that Putin is a murderous bastard and a threat to western Democracy. I’ll go further and say that whoever Putin is for, I’m almost certain to be against.

The riots of the 1960’s and 1970’s were a worldwide phenomenon. They occurred in most major cities in the USA. They also occurred in Canada, Paris, Berlin, Mexico, and many other places in the world. Riots, riots, and more riots. Mass demonstrations, sit-ins, assassinations, mail bombs, fires. Alcatraz Island seized for 19 months by demonstrators. Prison uprisings. It was a colorful time.

I’m no expert in foreign politics. In the U.S., part of the impetus was the Vietnam War, and part was civil rights. While slogans and movement names change, many of the societal issues surrounding today’s riots existed back then.

1 Like

I protested as a young man during Viet Nam war. Never tore up shit, all about peace right?

The societal issue that’s the problem is that the rioters are using the freedoms and benefits of a democracy to riot. They want change without going through the democratic process. That’s boring and old fashioned. And they continually lose because they have no arguments. They want stuff that’s not theirs, that they haven’t earned. They love chaos, destruction and mayhem because their ultimate aim is to destroy western civilisation and replace it with their utopia - largely undefined, but basically communism, but a better version of it than all the ones tried that have murdered 100 million of their own citizens.

The Democrats strangely go along with this because they think it’s damaging Trump and they’ll walk in to office. They refuse to stop it. They could if they let their police do their jobs but they don’t. The mayors and governors hide in their secure, gated bunkers with utter disdain for those they supposedly represent, the ordinary workers. It’s contemptible.

Sensible Democrats don’t support this but won’t stand and be heard. I don’t blame them. Perhaps they’ll have courage in their secret ballots. I live in hope.

I served in that war. I didn’t protest. I did read my older brother’s copy of Mao’s little red book and couldn’t make head nor tail of it. Unmitigated rubbish. I could never understand the protesters and they stank anyway. Some pretty girls though. Hairy armpits!

Anyway, surrendering all the time never led to peace, nor did flower power or Woodstock or weed.

1 Like

From my experience, the hairy armpits were mostly French Canadian that visited our area.(Good looking gals until I saw the armpits) You can only imagine downstairs. I wasn’t too picky around that time as a young teen.

My Pop , strangely enough as a lifer in USN and a missle guy, supported my stance. Again, I was peaceful and did not support violence and looting.

2 Likes

I live in a city that had a recent riot. I’ve heard the mayor’s reason for why they handled the rioting the way they did, and your theory has nothing to do with their game plan.

If the citizens think the mayor handled it wrong, they will vote the mayor out of office. This city has voted mayors out of office because of rioting before. So why would a mayor damage their chances for re-election by allowing riots to go on, just to "damage Trump”? If all politicians are villainous, wouldn’t they protect their own asses first?

You’re playing up the comic book super-villain fictions of the Breitbart crowd, where all Democrats are communists headed by evil Hillary from her secret lair. It’s as infantile as the opposing view, where all Republicans are white supremacist, Q-anon quoting, anti-vaxxers.

By the way, my governor called out the C19 crisis from the get-go. Everything he said would come to pass in that regard has come to pass. He’s been a real leader. Doing a difficult job, trying to save lives while keeping an economy from collapse. And this while other so-called leaders, who lied from the beginning, called him a “snake" for telling the truth. So when you say…

…right there you’re over the top. Making simplistic, comic-book pronouncements without regard to facts.

1 Like

But really, I mean the rioting, come April and it will disappear, just like that. A lot of people are saying it, and I think they’re right, we’ll see. But if it doesn’t go away, with the antifa I mean, I wonder if a cleaner were injected, almost like a cleansing, that would stop it. I don’t know. What will it hurt? is what I’m saying, And if that doesn’t work, there’s HCL. Terrific stuff. HCL is a real game changer with the BLM and the commies. Everyone agrees, really. So the VA is not a fan, and Fauci, he’s a bit of an alarmist–a nice man–but we can’t let science get in the way of this.

1 Like

Why wait until April?

7 Likes

That’s the ticket.

Is Trump mostly to blame for the poor performance regarding Covid?

I thought that because of the kind of decentralized system the US has that the poor performance is more the fault of State Governors. Trump seemed to have given the governors all the support they wanted when they asked for it.

Depending how you chop up the stats blue counties in red states are having a lot more infections than red counties in blue states.

Sadly, I couldn’t find a cartoon to post of RATS swimming toward that sinking ship…although there are plenty of humans doing it. Maybe Trump’s tweeted that the ship’s full of free hand guns and confederate flags.

Good article about DHS and Portland.

Not a good article at all. It misses a crucial distinction. It defines the activities as protests when they are riots. If that’s the case the rules change. There’s protections for peaceful protest, not for riots.

And you might suspect some animus re Trump from the likes of Bill Kristol.

It’s a joke about a narcissistic politician, not an endorsement of his opponents. The country is broken and I don’t expect the other side to be any more capable of fixing it anytime soon. Covid is just the fuel that accelerated the fire.

1 Like

Well, that’s a straight up lie. My governor has been demanding POTUS45 enact the DPA for testing supplies and PPE since the crisis began. POTUS45: “What?” Governors call for POTUS45 to have a single voice when it comes to mask wearing. POTUS45: “Liberate Minnesota!”. Governors have been crying for more testing. POTUS45: “Testing dumb, me smart.”

POTUS45’s game plan for C19: let the governors handle it. If they fail, it’s their fault. If they succeed, POTUS45 takes the credit.

…because blue counties in red states have more people in them, hence more infections. Sigh.

This is probably par for the course for a scuttlebutt thread. Don’t think it’s going to get any better. Buh bye.