Can you start out on crewboats without a document?

I am an OSV Captain, but I’ve never been accused of having an abundance of knowledge in licensing & document requirements. It’s a little embarrasing actually. I am trying to help a friend who is struggling to provide a living for a wife & 3 small children. He wants to work on boats to earn a better living, & has no experience, & no MMC. I am inclined to believe he can make a start on offshore crew or utility boats (under 100 grt) without having to be documented (MMC). Is this a correct summation?? I know he must have a TWIC, but my only question here is can he start out on crewboats without a document, and get it later? Thanks for your help in this matter.

In the legal sense I [I]think[/I] all he needs is the MMC. Even the TWIC is not needed for most boats now. Depending on the route he will have to get BST as well. But having said that it all comes down to the company and what they want.

Thanks, yeah I think what we’ll do is check with my company & some others & see whats needed.

he can work on utility boats with nothing… i dont think he even needs a drivers license… just a SS#

[QUOTE=CaptAndrew;63362]In the legal sense I [I]think[/I] all he needs is the MMC. Even the TWIC is not needed for most boats now. Depending on the route he will have to get BST as well. But having said that it all comes down to the company and what they want.[/QUOTE]

You can not even apply for an MMC until you have proof that you have applied for TWIC.

[QUOTE=Capt. Lee;63408]You can not even apply for an MMC until you have proof that you have applied for TWIC.[/QUOTE]

That has been recently changed.

You can work on a crewboat with just a twic card at the smaller companies. Good luck!

Thanks, yeah I think what we’ll do is check with my company & some others & see whats needed.