Cadet looking for weekend work at any shipyard near Los Angeles

Hello I am an engineering cadet looking for shipyard work near Los angles on the Weekends, I currently am working in a law office filing but this is doing nothing for my future career. I get paid 12.00 an hour, but would much rather be in boots and work blues learning for a potential career out at sea. Desperate for someone willing to teach on the weekends or Mondays and Fridays. I love to lear and I am a hard worker. I prefer working in a shipyard because that’s when most of the action in the engine room happens, when it comes to breaking components down and learning about them. I have a twic, MMC and DOD card. I have worked a summer with MSC. Anyone have any suggestions out there?

National Steel and Shipbuilding (NASSCO) in San Diego might be a good place to look, but there isn’t usually too much going on during the weekends.

Are you a CMA cadet? I know 10 years ago NASSCO would have internships for CMA students. As far as shipyards sees the most ER action. That is true, but you still breakdown a lot of stuff when in port. We are always pulling pistons, valves, fuel pumps…etc. Some of these things cant wait 5 years. You can try and get on with Dockside Machine and ship repair, or MTD (out of Richmond but do a lot of work in LA), or CMD in Long Beach. Those are just a few who do work in and out of the engine room.

[QUOTE=brjones;111830]Are you a CMA cadet? I know 10 years ago NASSCO would have internships for CMA students. As far as shipyards sees the most ER action. That is true, but you still breakdown a lot of stuff when in port. We are always pulling pistons, valves, fuel pumps…etc. Some of these things cant wait 5 years. You can try and get on with Dockside Machine and ship repair, or MTD (out of Richmond but do a lot of work in LA), or CMD in Long Beach. Those are just a few who do work in and out of the engine room.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, brjones. yes I am a CMA cadet, and a couple of my friends are working at NASSCO right now, but they applied early last semester. I will look into MTD and CMD.