Bye Bye LANT AOE's

I thought the Navy loved their fast moving AOE’s? All those homesteaders addicted to that berthing pay crack must be pissed off.

They can still have their berthing pay. Just ship on Ponce…

Good riddance, they have one of the worse pilot ladder rigs around. They have no concept of SOLAS requirements.

Except for the unlicensed crew who were addicted to the berthing pay and various east coast shipyards, no one will miss these two ships. Arctic hasn’t really done much in the last couple of years anyway.

Where are they going? Back to all navy crew? Reserve fleet?

All lant ships will go to NJ to do in port squats with them.
Waiting for the shamrock bus in the sky.

One get deactivated. One will remain in ROS-Never. Stay up in NJ. Remember…no more night-d after 30 days pier side. Gonna have to get on BIOT monthly underway schedule.

Those ships arent that old are they? Early 90s?

Not old, just hideously expensive when underway.

[QUOTE=UnRepKing;98212]thought the Navy loved their fast moving AOE’s? All those homesteaders addicted to that berthing pay crack must be pissed off.[/QUOTE]

Berthing Pay?

[QUOTE=DeckApe;98642]Not old, just hideously expensive when underway.[/QUOTE]
Why’s that? Gas turbine?

Payment to the crew for substandard living conditions, not in accordance with normal merchant mariner practice. Basically, the AOEs were turned over for operations from the USN with typical for the USN berthing plans ( open bay berthing). It was decided to pay a penalty rate to the mariners vice doing the upgrade to staterooms. Some guys liked getting the extra pay instead of a room alone or with a room mate.

[QUOTE=Xmsccapt(ret);98689]It was decided to pay a penalty rate to the mariners vice doing the upgrade to staterooms. Some guys liked getting the extra pay instead of a room alone or with a room mate.[/QUOTE]

just curious how much the rate is/was to smell some other guy’s farts?

She just spent what seems like a gazillion years at Detyens.

I was sent to NJ to help get her u/w for Super Storm Sandy, but they decided to let her stay pier side in Jersey. After we took her to Norfolk, found out she has a dented a fuel tank and ABS issued a “no-sail” until it’s fixed. That’s right, just keep pouring money into it then decom it. It’s the gov’t way to do things!QUOTE=catherder;98703]She just spent what seems like a gazillion years at Detyens.[/QUOTE]

Thirty bucks a day extra. Those ships often had ammo aboard (10% to base pay) and duty sections ($190 every third day in port). They moved a lot of cargo ($30-50/hour in-port) and ammo ($50-90/hour in-port) and made a lot of overtime from UNREPs with carrier groups (that start VERY early) and would earn penalty-in-lieu-of-rest ($11-30/hour). They produced a lot of trash ($11/hour to offload or handle at sea). (All pay rates above are for an AB.)

They were money makers. An AB on those would take home $120,000 a year (ass-kissers made more). Many ABs had been signed aboard for several years and would stab their own mother in the eye if he thought she were after his billet.

[QUOTE=acdcrocks73;98709]I was sent to NJ to help get her u/w for Super Storm Sandy, but they decided to let her stay pier side in Jersey. After we took her to Norfolk, found out she has a dented a fuel tank and ABS issued a “no-sail” until it’s fixed. That’s right, just keep pouring money into it then decom it. It’s the gov’t way to do things!QUOTE=catherder;98703]She just spent what seems like a gazillion years at Detyens.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

And my co. has guys on board right now doing the fire fighting inspection and certs. They drove up Monday afternoon. Hey it’s only money baby! Just print more.

I don’t known, perhaps others here could tell you. Oh, seems like someone did…

[QUOTE=Tugted;98654]Why’s that? Gas turbine?[/QUOTE]
Yes. The T-AOE’s are fuel hogs. With all four gas turbines on line at max speed they would make about thirty knots and burn between 2700 and 3000 barrels of
fuel per day. That’s not a misprint…twenty seven hundred to three thousand barrels per day. They are rarely required or allowed to run this fast, but even on two
engines the fuel consumption is very high. Plus they have very big crews.

Took these today. Arctic. On the left in the one pic is SS Cape May. I need to start a Pinterest board or photo album so you can see them in the post.

[ATTACH]2909[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2910[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2911[/ATTACH]