Brown vs blue water

As far as blue water is concerned, plant type doesn’t make a difference for vacation. Most contracts are collectively bargained for each individual company, so vacation rates differ. Its normally 25 for 30 for junior officers and 30 for 30 for senior officers.

[QUOTE=seaAggie_904;88185]Having to refer to a tech manual everyday would be the death of me. I know in blue water it will be times you have to refer to a manual for certain specs, but not everyday? It seems to me that drill and osv company’s are real picky when it comes to what they will allow engineers to do?[/QUOTE]

I have no idea where you are getting your info from but you need to understand that drilling engineers and OSV engineers are different occupations.
I associate with drillship engineers on a regular basis. They pull pistons, replace liners and consult tech manuals as needed to make sure their work is within factory specs.
They are responsible for everything below deck from shit to shove. They are for the most part highly trained, educated technicians that have more on the ball than many of the service guys the OSV company calls to maintain the engines on the OSVs. Once you become chief you also become responsible for the drilling equipment which subtracts a few more years off your life. It’s a high stress environment for the chiefs. There aren’t many old ones out there.
The box boat engineers have an easier time of it and have a decent life. The bulk carriers? Oh, that’s the life, not as much money but it can be a lot of fun and rewarding in it’s own right. You can chase money right into the grave or you can enjoy what you’re doing. Whatever decision you make today doesn’t mean you’re signing a contract for life. You can change your mind and move on to other things unless you are an idiot and go into debt so far that you are held by golden handcuffs to a job you wish you didn’t have.
Stay out of debt, [don’t buy that $40,000 truck] and don’t marry the first girl that sees how much money you make. Pride and pecker have ruined many a good mariner.