Barge Engineer - job description

I keep seeing Barge Engineer positions on rigzone. Anyone ever work that positon. Mind giving a brief job description? Is that an unlimited license job? Any info would be helpful.

[QUOTE=ForkandBlade;98688]I keep seeing Barge Engineer positions on rigzone. Anyone ever work that positon. Mind giving a brief job description? Is that an unlimited license job? Any info would be helpful.[/QUOTE]

The engineers on many jack up rigs are called “Barge Engineers”. I can’t tell you the license requirements, though.

I know Crowley’s barge engineers are usually QMEDs or higher. If its an unmanned barge then just about anyone with a wiper/os can be the “barge engineer”.

Requirements can be found on NMC website. Barge Supervisor license.

Rig position that manages the marine and maintenance crews on jackups. On moored semis they handle the mooring and manage the deck crews. Some DP vessels keep them to watch over marine and deck operations.

You normally need rig experience and recency on rigs.

[QUOTE=ForkandBlade;98688]I keep seeing Barge Engineer positions on rigzone. Anyone ever work that positon. Mind giving a brief job description? Is that an unlimited license job? Any info would be helpful.[/QUOTE]

You don’t want to work on a jack-up. It would be compared to a conventional mates position, the minimum would be a Barge Supervisor endorsement, anyone with a pulse and a 3rd mates and above license can get it. Unless the position is for Stena Drilling and its for one of their drillships and it would be a Chief Mate position working under the Barge Master.