ARPA Question

I just received my 500 NC Master license in the mail,nothing on it about ARPA, which I have.The NMC says that they do’nt put it on the license as an endorsement,she says as long as there is nothing under the limitations I have it.GMDSS is listed as valid as well as radar unl. under the limitations.Do any of you gals/guys have ARPA listed on your MMD?

They call ARPA a “negative endorsement”…as in, if it IS Listed on your license it’s because you don’t have it. Your license will be “limited to vessels not equipped w/ ARPA”.

HTH

It is inherent with your license.

As noted already, it’s a “negative” endorsement, it’s only noted as a restriction when you don’t have it. The reason is that ARPA is one of several competencies in the STCW tables for OICNW and Chief Mate/Master. In these cases, you are assumed to have complied with the entire table unless a restriction is noted based on not meeting a particular competence. In contrast, GMDSS is a “positive” endorsement as it is s separate and distinct standard in STCW, it’s not a sub-part of another larger requirement.

If you look at Table A-II/1 of STCW, the applicable competence includes the note “[u]se of ARPA is not required for those who serve exclusively on ships not fitted with ARPA. This limitation shalll be reflected in the endorsement issued to the seafarer concerned.”

To make this ‘positively’ ‘negatively’ easier to not understand: Your license is for 500 tons. (it could just as well read 1600) BUT, your license says, restricted to vessels under 300 tons. This is because the code requires ARPA on vessels over 300 GT. Once you get ARPA you have that restriction lifted.

It beats the daylights out of me as to why licenses are issued, and you are unable to actually fully use the license unless you have a further certificate. One would think the license would not be issued unless you could actually operate up to the tonnage listed?

Thanks guys,now I understand.Showing the GMDSS and not the ARPA really confused me. I got the 3000 ITC thing taken care of,it is supposed to be in the mail. Thanks Again Mike

If you did not have ARPA, it would state in the STCW section of your MMC “Not valid for service on ARPA equipped vessesl”

[QUOTE=cappy208;34924]To make this ‘positively’ ‘negatively’ easier to not understand: Your license is for 500 tons. (it could just as well read 1600) BUT, your license says, restricted to vessels under 300 tons. This is because the code requires ARPA on vessels over 300 GT. Once you get ARPA you have that restriction lifted.

It beats the daylights out of me as to why licenses are issued, and you are unable to actually fully use the license unless you have a further certificate. One would think the license would not be issued unless you could actually operate up to the tonnage listed?[/QUOTE]

ARPA is NOT required on vessels over 300 tons. An ARPA endorsement is required on ARPA equipped vessels over 300 tons undertaking International Voyages. Big Difference.

[QUOTE=Diesel;37404]ARPA is NOT required on vessels over 300 tons. An ARPA endorsement is required on ARPA equipped vessels over 300 tons undertaking International Voyages. Big Difference.[/QUOTE]

[B]33 CFR 164.38 - Automatic radar plotting aids (ARPA) [/B]

[LEFT]
[/LEFT]