ARPA a requirement for OICNW?

Hello all.

Recently going through evaluations for a 500 ton master/1600 ton mate. I turned in my assessments for OICNW that is a requirement for a mate’s license, and the sheets for arpa were left blank, because the vessel I got assessed on isn’t an arpa vessel. My evaluator said I couldn’t have OICNW nor STCW for the mate’s license until I get signed off or do an arpa course. Everywhere I have read regarding this, including the policy letter 11-07 says arpa is optional and the endorsement would be restricted to non-arpa vessels. However after going back and forth with my evaluator I finally gave up. I don’t have the means of getting those assessments done nor doing the course right now. Can anyone shed some light on this?

[I]As far as I know[/I] Arpaa is still only required for an equipped vessel. So you are correct. How to convince the evaluator is another matter. Ask for the supervisor and ask for documentation or references to show it IS required, The most recent checklist from MNC shows it as optional. While the checklist is not the actual law it is good supporting documentation. I have always submitted the checklist with my applications with appropriate boxes checked and exceptions highlighted.

Good luck.

[QUOTE=CaptAndrew;134257][I]As far as I know[/I] Arpaa is still only required for an equipped vessel. So you are correct. How to convince the evaluator is another matter. Ask for the supervisor and ask for documentation or references to show it IS required, The most recent checklist from MNC shows it as optional. While the checklist is not the actual law it is good supporting documentation. I have always submitted the checklist with my applications with appropriate boxes checked and exceptions highlighted.

Good luck.[/QUOTE]

I quoted the appropriate cfrs and such backing up about arpaa being optional. No joy. He told me I could sit for a 1600 ton mate, but that license would be limited domestically. I thought about just scrubbing the masters license and then just pursue the mate’s license but then I figured it wouldn’t be worth much without STCW, and I don’t know when I will be able to swing doing a arpa course. The mate’s license for STCW requires the OICNW. I then found out that I would have 11 total modules to test instead of 6 so I just settled for getting evaluated for the 500 ton master. I thought of filing an appeal but figured how things move so slow anyway to just let it go. I am currently working as an engineer and just wanted to upgrade my deck license to make myself more marketable in case. Utilizing sea time juggling deck and engine licenses is a little tricky also, I am figuring out.

It’s almost like you have to get a lawyer to interpret this all. For example, during my evaluation he challenged a sea letter I had from a past employer that listed me as a deckhand. I held an ab at the time. He said the letter had to be re written, that an ab is not the same as a deckhand. So my past employer, 9 years later re writes it for me. I then got told I have to get a letter of explanation from this company regarding why I was listed as a deckhand instead of ab! This all makes my head hurt if I think about it too much LOL

Here is the section from the new regs:

(e) Training and assessment for Automatic Radar Plotting Aids (ARPA), Electronic Chart Display and Information System (ECDIS), or Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS). Training and assessment in the use of ARPA, ECDIS, or GMDSS is not required for those who serve exclusively on ships not fitted with ARPA, ECDIS, or GMDSS. For ARPA and ECDIS, this limitation must be reflected in the endorsement issued to the seafarer concerned. GMDSS is a separate endorsement that will only be added if the applicant qualifies for it.

Point this out to your evaluator. It includes Assessments. What the evaluator is TRYING to say is that you have to complete ALL of the OICNW assessments, including those for ARPA, but this section (46 CFR 11.301) clearly states that you don’t. You need to file for “reconsideration” and go above the evaluator if you have to.

Good luck!!

Andy Hammond

The fastest and easiest way forward is to just go take the ARPA class. Its only four days and few hundred dollars.

You are going to need ARPA anyway to serve on most vessels over 300 tons. More and more companies expect new hire masters and mates to have ARPA, even if it it isn’t actually required for most of their vessels.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;134271]The fastest and easiest way forward is to just go take the ARPA class. Its only four days and few hundred dollars.

You are going to need ARPA anyway to serve on most vessels over 300 tons. More and more companies expect new hire masters and mates to have ARPA, even if it it isn’t actually required for most of their vessels.[/QUOTE]

I intend to do so. I was actually planning on doing it when I am due to renew my radar, in another year or so. The nearest school to me in so cal here charges $950 and you can renew your radar while you are there, so I have been told.