Are IMR Otto Candies vessels unlimited?

As Title states… I can’t find any tonnage info on these vessels anywhere. They seem big enough. Any info?

Unlimited tonnage in your dreams…they are all Large OSV with OSV licenses only required and no unlimited tonnage vessel seatime for upgrading. THis even goes when the vessels are working foreign even though the ITC or SOLAS have no such category of vessels as OSVs or make any special provisions for same. All are supposed to be considered to be unlimited tonnage cargo vessels and manned accordingly with unlimited tonnage licenses.

I will refrain on comments although I really could say alot about all of this.

Thats what I thought but just making sure…an employee said they were getting unlimited time but I was very skeptical. I thought for sure it fell under the 6000 itc osv…

Anything over 3000 tons itc should count towards an unlimited upgrade…

The Candies vessels working in the GOM are all over 3000 ITC, and the IMR vessels are all over 4000 tons.
An unlimited license is not required when these vessels are working as OSV’s, but would be if working otherwise.
As Capt. Schmitt mentioned any tonnage over 3000 ITC counts for unlimited tonnage is the simple answer, but as covered in other threads,
(and as alluded to by C Captain) an upgrade to a Chief Mate, or Master AGT would require Sea time on a vessel not working as an OSV’S
under the present system.

When an OSV works foreign is it required to carry a chief mate since it isn’t under the US manning/licensing?

[QUOTE=Capt. Schmitt;59446]When an OSV works foreign is it required to carry a chief mate since it isn’t under the US manning/licensing?[/QUOTE]

If it remains US Flag, I would assume that it would be subject to US Manning/Licensing, regardless of the location.

The COI on the vessel I’m on does not specify a Chief Mate, only a Master and two Mates.

[QUOTE=linky2121;59395]As Title states… I can’t find any tonnage info on these vessels anywhere. They seem big enough. Any info?[/QUOTE]

Listen to Capt Leigh and Capt Schmitt. They got it right.

If you go to ottos website and download the pdf about the boats the tonnage is right there.

Thanks guys. I am crystal clear on the subject now. These ships in the gulf seem to be getting bigger and bigger and really pushing the envelope for osv. For example, It seems crazy to me that the HOS Centerline and Strongline in Osv config are just under 6000itc. However in tanker config they are unlimited. I just can’t imagine something that is 370 feet long isn’t unlimited…

[QUOTE=Jemplayer;59506]If you go to ottos website and download the pdf about the boats the tonnage is right there.[/QUOTE]

Yup, I did that. I just didn’t know if they were classed as OSV or something else. Really neat ships though!

They are unlimited, it is just that OSVs have a special license that allow people to run them that couldn’t run an equal size vessel that is not an OSV.

If it’s got mud tanks and can pump said mud to a rig it’s classed as an OSV as long as its working in some way related to the oil industry.

Thus the reason IMR and anchor boats have mud tanks even though that would be one hell off an expensive day rate just to haul mud and fuel around.

That’s a real lose interpretation, but it’s close enough.

[QUOTE=Capt. Schmitt;59557]They are unlimited, it is just that OSVs have a special license that allow people to run them that couldn’t run an equal size vessel that is not an OSV.[/QUOTE]

No different than 5000 ton fishing vessel licenses in Alaska or ITB’s

[QUOTE=Jemplayer;59560]If it’s got mud tanks and can pump said mud to a rig it’s classed as an OSV …Thus the reason IMR and anchor boats have mud tanks [/QUOTE]

Not one of OCLLC’s IMR vessels have any ability whatsover to carry liquid mud or any dry bulk anything for that matter and all are OSVs in the eyes of the USCG. Is that right…I for one do not agree. Each IMR vessel should be inspected and manned as a Subchapter I Miscellaneous vessel but OMSA and MSO Morgan City obviously feel differently so it goes.

Oceaneering’s 2 IMR vessels (black & yellow) are classed OSV, unless they do a job that requires more than 50 people, then they are classed under subchapter I but the Coast Guard still lets OSV restricted trade MMC’s operate the vessels, even under subchapter I. The reasoning was that it was safer to keep people on the vessel that were familiar with it rather than bring on new folks to operate it that were not familiar with it. The COTP’s have a lot of discretion in what they can allow.

[QUOTE=c.captain;59605]Not one of OCLLC’s IMR vessels have any ability whatsover to carry liquid mud or any dry bulk anything for that matter and all are OSVs in the eyes of the USCG. Is that right…I for one do not agree. Each IMR vessel should be inspected and manned as a Subchapter I Miscellaneous vessel but OMSA and MSO Morgan City obviously feel differently so it goes.[/QUOTE]

Transparency International lists countries by their level of corruption. The USA doesn’t make the top ten of the least corrupt and has not for many years but now ranks behind Barbados, Chile and even the Bahamas. “Regulators” being controlled by the regulated contributes to this perceived corruption index and the above is a fine small example.

[QUOTE=tengineer;59609]The USA doesn’t make the top ten of the least corrupt and has not for many years but now ranks behind Barbados, Chile and even the Bahamas. [/QUOTE]

Like I said…so it goes

Wow I’m all kinds of wrong in this thread.

The only IMR boats plans I have looked at closely are Harvey and they are putting mud tanks on that boat. Just assumed that they all did it.

So i guess if the boat just works in the oil fields then it can be classed as an OSV.