Anyone traveling with McMurdo PLB?

Hi Folks,
As a former Navy SAR Swimmer I’m a bit particular about my safety gear. With that in mind I purchased a McMurdo Fast Find Max G for inclusion in my personal gear. I hadn’t even thought about the fact that it might not be a device that I can carry aboard a commercial airliner. Are any of you carrying a PLB these days? I have “given” at least three Spiderco knives and two Stormy Seas CO2 cartridges to our friends at the TSA that rifle our checked luggage. I really can’t trust them with this device…
As always, any info appreciated.
MTSKIER

I don’t carry a PLB, but found your post interesting. If it’s not on their prohibited list and wouldn’t fall into one of the banned categories, I don’t see why it would (and I’d put up a legal argument if they tried to take it). I don’t put something like that in checked luggage.

Your gifts to TSA of knives makes sense to me assuming they were in your carry-on, shouldn’t be a problem in your checked luggage. According to the TSA website and their brochure, the cartridges should not have been a problem (as long as you had the life vest with them). Whether in carry-on or checked luggage.

Check for yourself:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#11

A PLB is OK to take aboard as long as it’s “off”, meaning either switched off or having the battery removed. It’s in the same category as a cell phone or handheld GPS.

The Spiderco knives, if in checked luggaga, should not have been conficated. Hell, I declare handguns and travel with them. They just can’t be accessable from the passenger cabin.

TSA…what a joke.

Could it be because of the Lithium battery?

I believe that when some of these EPIRB makers ship their stuff by airfreight, not only do they have to be in special containers, they are often not allowed as freight on passenger planes.

I don’t think that is true, most moblie devices and laptops have lithium-ion batteries now.
mtskier, Capt nemo is correct, you should not have any trouble as long as it is off or better yet, battery removed. Call tsa directly and keep calling until you get the person who gives you the answer your’e looking for… …there will probably be conflicting answers.:rolleyes: I am sure you would not want that in your checked luggage.

[quote=Old Bakelite;21307]Could it be because of the Lithium battery?

I believe that when some of these EPIRB makers ship their stuff by airfreight, not only do they have to be in special containers, they are often not allowed as freight on passenger planes.[/quote]

The little lithium/ion batteries power everything from cell phones to Surefire flashlights. I don’t think thats an issue. My laptop is powered by a large Lithium battery and I’ve been all over the world with it. Lead/acid batteries and oxygen generators pose a much greater risk and are much more closely regulated.

The knives are an issue if they’re in a carry-on. The PLB isn’t, or shouldn’t be. But who knows about the TSA. They all ride the little bus to work.

Nemo

I beg to differ, even if this is not the reason in this particular case. You only have to Google the subject to find a whole list of regulations. Different types of Lithium batteries to actual Lithium content etc, for example.

Even FedEx has this to say:

Regulations.
The regulations pertaining to transporting lithium cells and batteries have changed significantly. The batteries or cells must be tested in accordance with the UN Manual of Tests and Criteria. See 49CFR§173.185, the ICAO Technical Instructions and the IATA (DGR) Special Provisions. The U.S. Department of Transportation Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (DOT PHMSA), implemented a prohibition of lithium metal batteries on passenger-carrying aircraft.

I have a SPOT personal beacon that I’ve been carrying around in my carry on and it hasn’t been an issue. It seems like the giant pile of random coins is more of an issue.