Any updated policy letter on 200ton/500ton ITC info?

I will be taking my 200ton Master class in 2 weeks and want to apply for the 500 gt ITC at the same time. When reading the old policy letter 07-00 I do not see the 200 grt to 500 ton gt ITC referenced, although through my research here and many other places I read that one only need ask for it or reference this policy letter. I also see where this policy letter (07-00) is no longer in affect although I cannot find an updated letter to reference if need be.

My time is pre March of 2014 if applicable.

Would any of you most knowledgable peers have any info regarding this and be able to steer me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance for your help on this…

[QUOTE=roundabout;148627]I will be taking my 200ton Master class in 2 weeks and want to apply for the 500 gt ITC at the same time. When reading the old policy letter 07-00 I do not see the 200 grt to 500 ton gt ITC referenced, although through my research here and many other places I read that one only need ask for it or reference this policy letter. I also see where this policy letter (07-00) is no longer in affect although I cannot find an updated letter to reference if need be.

My time is pre March of 2014 if applicable.

Would any of you most knowledgable peers have any info regarding this and be able to steer me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance for your help on this…[/QUOTE]

I don’t know what you’re asking. We consider 200 GRT to be equivalent to 500 GT (i.e. they are the same thing). This notwithstanding, we now use only GRT on national endorsements (licenses) and only GT on STCW endorsements.

If you are asking about getting an STCW endorsement for less than 500 GT, then look at NVIC 13-14and also page 18 of Enclosure (2) to NVIC 02-14.

Just out of curiosity, for licensing purposes, why doesn’t the USCG drop the domestic term “gross registered tons” entirely, and only use the I.T.C. term “gross tons”?

It could be clarified in a NVIC that licenses cover vessels admeasured under either the old domestic system of “gross registered tons” or the new system of I.T.C. “gross tons.” This might seem like a bit of a give away, but there isn’t any difference in size between an older vessel that measures 3000 GRT and a newer vessel that measures 3000 GT. For that matter, there are damn few vessels between 1600 GRT and 3000 GRT.

Foreign employers often think that the domestic1600 GRT endorsement is a restriction on the 3000 GT license,such that an American mariner is really only authorized for 1600 GT.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;148628]I don’t know what you’re asking. We consider 200 GRT to be equivalent to 500 GT (i.e. they are the same thing). This notwithstanding, we now use only GRT on national endorsements (licenses) and only GT on STCW endorsements.

If you are asking about getting an STCW endorsement for less than 500 GT, then look at NVIC 13-14and also page 18 of Enclosure (2) to NVIC 02-14.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your quick reply Mr Cavo.

Though “We” you and your co workers may indeed consider 200 GRT to be equivalent to the 500 GT and therefore the same thing, it was my understanding that the 500 ITC is marked individually as would be my 200 NC in my MMC booklet, if I am making the wrong assumption there please correct me, if not then it should seem reasonable that “THEY” the companies I am looking at for employment do not consider it equivalent unless they actually see it written as such in my MMC book. What I am asking is since so many that put in for their upgrade or original license are looking to receive the endorsement of 500 gt ITC on their STCW endorsement. It seemed through my research that almost all are later looking for justification (for lack of a better word) as to how to have this added to their book. To try and be more clear and answer your question, here are two questions:

Is the 500 gt (OSV?) listed individually in one’s MMC booklet?

and if so and;

I have my STCW requirements, with the 12/16 limitations of course, and would like to know how to word my application so I do not have to later request that the 500 ton ITC (OSV?) be added to my book as so many others seem to be having to do?

Thanks for the NVICs and Enclosure guidance.

Now after reading the NVIC 02-14 enclosure (2) page 18 & 19 as suggested by jdcavo, I am more confused. As there seems to be a requirement of advanced firefighting for <500gt. Of course this NVIC is pertaining to new STCW rule.

Is the 500 ton ITC endorsement special to OSV’s?

jiminey crickets man this stuff makes ones head hurt.

I would like to have my booklet endorsed 200ton NC and 500ton ITC, what do I need or how do I apply to have this done once I pass the 200ton Master NC test?

Am I making any sense here???

[QUOTE=roundabout;148641]Now after reading the NVIC 02-14 enclosure (2) page 18 & 19 as suggested by jdcavo, I am more confused. As there seems to be a requirement of advanced firefighting for <500gt. Of course this NVIC is pertaining to new STCW rule.

Is the 500 ton ITC endorsement special to OSV’s?

jiminey crickets man this stuff makes ones head hurt.

I would like to have my booklet endorsed 200ton NC and 500ton ITC, what do I need or how do I apply to have this done once I pass the 200ton Master NC test?

Am I making any sense here???[/QUOTE]

This is another good example of why it is wise to use a license consultant. Why waste time trying to figure out things that are so convoluted? Why take the risk of not getting all you are entitled to? For half a days pay, a license consultant will get it done right.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;148649]This is another good example of why it is wise to use a license consultant. Why waste time trying to figure out things that are so convoluted? Why take the risk of not getting all you are entitled to? For half a days pay, a license consultant will get it done right.[/QUOTE]

Howdy Tugsailor, been awhile, thanks for chiming in with useful info and comments as you have for me previously. Unfortunately, it would be about 2/3’s of a day pay in my case and surely you now how stubborn I am about giving up my dinero. I have as discussed previously used a consultant but was hoping to save her for a more complicated situation. I’m am thinking to do this as I’m blue in the face trying to find out what others have said on the subject. Kinda of worried that I may need that $200.00 later next month to pay my bills seeing how we as so many others are pushed up in the mud waiting on a charter/contract down here on the bayou. Company has a few of the vessels laid up until after the new year unless things pick up and are trying to get us a few days here and there, hence my going ahead and taking the 200 class/test, which is dicey in itself as money is tight, just trying to make myself more employable.

Big OPEC decision today, hopefully we are seeing the bottom of the Oil prices and will have a turn around soon come.