Any recommendation for sea school near Tampa/Orlando? (AB class)

I’m gonna finally go take my AB class (hopefully) next month or 2 and I’m having a hard time finding a school that offers an Able Seaman course around the Tampa/Orlando area. I’m gonna try to do the lifeboatman course too on my next time off after that. Any and all recommendations are appreciated!

Yea man, try Quality Maritime in St. Pete. There is a SeaSchool campus across the street from them, they may also have what you want. I have taken classes at both. Remember, if you are going to the deck, you are gonna need RFPNW

Bluewater Maritime School and Maritime Training International both in Jacksonville. I’ve never been to either but looked into them for AB/Lifeboatman. Sea School has classes in St. Petersburg and Jacksonville too.

[QUOTE=XpatBubba;151757]Yea man, try Quality Maritime in St. Pete. There is a SeaSchool campus across the street from them, they may also have what you want. I have taken classes at both. Remember, if you are going to the deck, you are gonna need RFPNW[/QUOTE]

I know I’m will eventually but I’m on a 200ton boat right now and don’t have a master with a 1600ton on board to sign my RFPNW for me. I just need the AB-OSV now with life boatman, I plan on getting the RFPNW by working over one hitch on one of our bigger boats and getting it signed off then. I can do that, right?

[QUOTE=Alex13;151758]Bluewater Maritime School and Maritime Training International both in Jacksonville. I’ve never been to either but looked into them for AB/Lifeboatman. Sea School has classes in St. Petersburg and Jacksonville too.[/QUOTE]

Bluewater maritime is a true diploma mill. I wouldn’t recommend them if you wanted to learn anything. In the middle of my BST I found out half the ghetto kids weren’t even paying for the class. They had some grant paying for it and it showed they had no interest in the industry

I’ll add my vote to Quality Maritime. You’ll be doing your lifeboatman aboard SS American Victory, now a museum ship on Tampa’s waterfront. Lots of fun (really).

"Due to several circumstances beyond our control, we are in the process of restructuring our training school and organization. As a result of this process we have suspended the offering of many of our approved courses beyond the month of December 2014. QMT will still be offering maritime security training for the VPDSD/MSA endorsements, RFPNW assessment, BRM and the NEW required Leadership courses along with several other select courses. Once we have finished our reorganization, QMT we will begin to post on our “Course Schedules” page any new or reset training course schedules. We at QMT regret any inconvenience this may cause our mariners.

R/Staff

Quality Maritime Training"

I guess I won’t be taking my classes there in St Pete…

Also take a look at Maritime Professional Training in Ft. Lauderdale. http://www.mptusa.com/