Training in Florida

I am looking to take some training to obtain my 1600 mate and would like to know if there’s a school in the Tampa, Florida area. I need radar, bridge resource management, advanced fire fighting, medical care provider and a few other courses.

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/courses/default.asp?tab=0

[QUOTE=westmaui;145856]I am looking to take some training to obtain my 1600 mate and would like to know if there’s a school in the Tampa, Florida area. I need radar, bridge resource management, advanced fire fighting, medical care provider and a few other courses.[/QUOTE]

you can probably get a few of those knocked out at Quality Maritime. It’s located in N. St Pete on 4th street approx 75th or 80th Ave N. Not a bad place.

[QUOTE=westmaui;145856]I am looking to take some training to obtain my 1600 mate and would like to know if there’s a school in the Tampa, Florida area. I need radar, bridge resource management, advanced fire fighting, medical care provider and a few other courses.[/QUOTE]

Have you done [U]ANY[/U] research before asking all these questions? Try [U]here[/U]

If you can’t even figure these basic things out yourself you might want to stick with mixing paint.

Quality Maritime Training in St Pete is undergoing a “restructuring” and is only offering a select few courses at this time.

For schools, its hard to beat MPT in Fort Lauderdale. They offer most courses at least once a month and they have some cheap housing arrangements. It’s a pleasant tourist town to spend some time in. You won’t need a car.

One of the owners of Quality Maritime Training is very sick. Last I heard they are slowly selling off much of the equipment and are only doing a select few classes. I would not expect them to be open for much longer.

[QUOTE=Traitor Yankee;145878]If you can’t even figure these basic things out yourself you might want to stick with mixing paint.[/QUOTE]

I disagree, there is an art to mixing paint. Only a few people can be considered proficient in this skill. Flipping burgers on the other hand is an entirely different category.

What? Mixing paint is pretty damn easy. Just follow the directions. Not that hard…maybe almost as hard as flipping burgers.

[QUOTE=Traitor Yankee;145878]If you can’t even figure these basic things out yourself you might want to stick with mixing paint.[/QUOTE]

while i agree with both you and JDC about “where’s the personal initaitive?” on this thread, it seems to be overwhelmingly common throughout the industry these days. Although we’ve gone from having nothing but CFRs and sporadic, often unreliable pre and post application comms with the RECs (as in pre-NMC in WVa) to having instant access to NVICs online, 1-800 # access to NMC, and a system which is in general a billion times better (in my opinion ) than what it was just 10-15 yrs ago, there are still so many mariners moving up the ranks who can’t do a damn thing on their own.

Did you read the thread enquiring about having to pass at least 50% of the modules for a 1600T Master NC? I know JDC did.

I’m more inclined at this point to post a picture of popcorn and see what happens than to be helpful.

My only thought is to wonder why, when you are about to test for what is a master’s license of a good sized tonnage (regardless of it’s voyage restrictions), does the question of how much of the test you must pass at the first sitting in order not to have repeat all modules become a priority? Sounds like a hell of a mate, let alone “master.” He’s clearly ready for more accountability.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=MassCap;145885]One of the owners of Quality Maritime Training is very sick. Last I heard they are slowly selling off much of the equipment and are only doing a select few classes. I would not expect them to be open for much longer.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know there was something going on there. However, they are one of few accredited teachers of soon to be STCW required (12/31/2016) Leadership and Managerial Skills-Mgmt Level. I’m banging that one out in Dec.

I did research and found that quality marine although located in the area I’m looking to take courses, seems to be offering less courses and they have been the only place I’ve found in the Tampa area that offers maritime training. Thanks to the people who had something productive to offer. For the others, who have nothing better to do but post a smart ass comment, get a life! If you have nothing positive to offer, keep your trap shut!