Announcing the first annual Golden gCaptain film award nominees

Upon further consideration, the committee is opening up all nominations to actors portraying maritime officers under sail because it felt that it must include the following into the category of best chief mate on film

Mr. Starbuck played by actor Leo Genn in the 1956 version of Moby Dick

Starbuck, first mate: [to Stubb and Flask] It is an evil voyage, I tell thee. If Ahab has his way, neither thee nor me, nor any member of this ship’s company will ever see home again.
Stubb: Aw, come on, Mr. Starbuck, you’re just plain gloomy. Moby Dick may be big, but he ain’t THAT big.
Starbuck, first mate: I do not fear Moby Dick - I fear the wrath of God.

The wrath of God or Ahab’s “pointy stick” that is! Which would be worse I ask thee Mister?

A storyline as old as the ages…the sane and rational mate to play off the lunatic ravings of an insane master.

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;95042]Well, I suppose my idea of placing the swashbuckling 1935 movie “Captain Blood” is totally out question.
So, I’ll place “The Sea Wolf” for consideration, Edward G Robinson was excellent as the cruel Master, Wolf Larsen, of the “The Ghost.”[/QUOTE]

well someday a none romaticized non Hollywood version of a pirate story will be told on film. It will not be pretty I can tell you but every pirate movie yet made is so unrealistic as to be downright stoopid. Do not, I repeat, do not get the committee started on the Johnny Depp version of Jack Sparrow. A bleeding cartoon character he is!

Now Edgar G. as Wolf Larsen will stand with the nominating committee although they believe that the character portrayed by Robinson was not the same character written into the Jack London story.

[QUOTE=c.captain;95124]Now Edgar G. as Wolf Larsen will stand with the nominating committee although they believe that the character portrayed by Robinson was not the same character written into the Jack London story.[/QUOTE]

I’m on good standing with Jack, he taught me how not to build a fire, “Watch The Trees,” he howled at me, wonder what THAT meant? Anyway, If I hear from Jack I’ll be sure to post it here.

I thought Clark Gable was outstanding in Run Silent, Run Deep. He drives his boat and crew to the edge as he seeks revenge for the loss of his former sub and crew to a Japanese sub.

I would still put up Edmund O’Brien in the engineer’s role. While he may have been only a 2nd engineer, he was certainly in charge of the plant in The Last Voyage. Nice little conversation he had with the Old Man, too. . . . .

[QUOTE=c.captain;95124]well someday a none romaticized non Hollywood version of a pirate story will be told on film. It will not be pretty I can tell you but every pirate movie yet made is so unrealistic as to be downright stoopid. Do not, I repeat, do not get the committee started on the Johnny Depp version of Jack Sparrow. A bleeding cartoon character he is![/QUOTE]

Ah - Want to rumble do ye?

[QUOTE=cmakin;95168]I would still put up Edmund O’Brien in the engineer’s role. While he may have been only a 2nd engineer, he was certainly in charge of the plant in The Last Voyage. Nice little conversation he had with the Old Man, too. . . . .[/QUOTE]

Yes and he got an open hand slap in his face. The “Old Man” needed to receive a solid kick in his nuts, several of them.

[QUOTE=cmakin;95168]I would still put up Edmund O’Brien in the engineer’s role. While he may have been only a 2nd engineer, he was certainly in charge of the plant in The Last Voyage. Nice little conversation he had with the Old Man, too. . . . .[/QUOTE]

The committee has not seen the film for at least 25 years so has poor recollection of the movie and its characters so upon your recommendation will accept the actor Edmund O’Brien into a renamed category best actor to portray a ship’s engineer.

//youtu.be/_7RNYqQ84yU

The committee does feel the film to having been appallingly God awful so only gives this nomination grudgingly. Of course, George Sanders is perfect in the role of the Shittino style master. Just the man’s voice should warrant him into nomination but the committee has plenty of master nominees already and needs no others at this time.

Speaking of God awful passenger vessel movies, the committee wishes to ask the members if they recall one retched turd of a film titled “Assault on a Queen”?

The committee cannot get that appalling stench out of its nostrils still!

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;95182]Yes and he got an open hand slap in his face. The “Old Man” needed to receive a solid kick in his nuts, several of them.[/QUOTE]’’

You state this like it is an unusual condition . . . .

Well, at least I didn’t nominate Omar Sharif, captain of the ill fated BRITANNIC in Juggernaut, although naming the character “Brunel” was a nice touch.

Jack London was a good egg and a genuine man in my book…at a very young age he shipped out as a seaman on a sealer to the Kuril Islands he did!

During his lifetime, Jack sailed on a variety of ships including: the sealing schooner SOPHIA SUTHERLAND to Japan (on which he served as an able-bodied seaman)

Later in life, he cruised through the South Pacific on his schooner,the SNARK. When he wrote, his stories were based on his true experiences and not on some armchair adventurer. He was the real deal in every way!

Btw, flew over your homestead there the other day John. Looked kind white and snowy but I saw smoke rising above the trees so knew immediately it was one of your facemounted flaming turds! Your brother out of jail yet?

[QUOTE=cmakin;95193]Well, at least I didn’t nominate Omar Sharif, captain of the ill fated BRITANNIC in Juggernaut, although naming the character “Brunel” was a nice touch.[/QUOTE]

of course, there are the worst categories to begin finding nominees for. The committee has been remiss in doing that in a timely fashion.

[QUOTE=cmakin;95191] You state this like it is an unusual condition . . . .[/QUOTE]

Does this mean my memory is in need of a tune-up?

[QUOTE=c.captain;95204]Jack London was a good egg and a genuine man in my book…at a very young age he shipped out as a seaman on a sealer to the Kuril Islands he did and sailed many other ships as a seaman! [/QUOTE]

I like all his works. Tipped a few cold ones in his Oakland bar too.

[QUOTE=c.captain;95204]Later in life, he cruised through the South Pacific on his schooner,the SNARK. When he wrote, his stories were based on his true experiences and not on some armchair adventurer. He was the real deal in every way! [/QUOTE]

True

[QUOTE=c.captain;95204]Btw, flew over your homestead there the other day John. Looked kind white and snowy but I saw smoke rising above the trees so knew immediately it was one of your facemounted flaming turds![/QUOTE]

You should have dropped-in, I’d share great whiskey with you and show you my paintings.
Did the “white and snowy” look like this?
[ATTACH]2823[/ATTACH]

[QUOTE=c.captain;95204] Your brother out of jail yet?[/QUOTE]

He’s lost some of his fight, such things do happen when one crosses 70.

[QUOTE=c.captain;95183]The committee has not seen the film for at least 25 years so has poor recollection of the movie and its characters so upon your recommendation will accept the actor Edmund O’Brien into a renamed category best actor to portray a ship’s engineer.

//youtu.be/_7RNYqQ84yU

The committee does feel the film to having been appallingly God awful so only gives this nomination grudgingly. Of course, George Sanders is perfect in the role of the Shittino style master. Just the man’s voice should warrant him into nomination but the committee has plenty of master nominees already and needs no others at this time.

Speaking of God awful passenger vessel movies, the committee wishes to ask the members if they recall one retched turd of a film titled “Assault on a Queen”?

The committee cannot get that appalling stench out of its nostrils still![/QUOTE]

I have never heard of this…I thought the Poseidon Adventure was the only one modeled on QM. The sleeper has awakened.

if is so much of a pile of shit that it is a sacrilege and disrespects the water used to flush it away

Plot summary

A World War II-era German submarine missing for 20 years is retrieved in the Bahamas by diver Mark Brittain, hired by the wealthy Rosa Lucchesi and her partner, Vic Rossiter, who have been searching for Spanish galleons.

The recovery of the sub results in a plot devised by Eric Lauffnauer, a U-boat officer during the war, to pull a daring million-dollar heist on the British ocean liner Queen Mary, which he and the others plan to rob on the high seas while the liner is making a transatlantic crossing.

Brittain gets the sub in working order with the assistance of his own partner, Linc, and a new man, Moreno, a war hero and expert with engines. Disguised as officers from a British vessel on a top-secret mission, Brittain, Rossiter and Lauffnauer board the Queen Mary, where they seize the bullion in the cargo hold. The captain complies after the pirates threaten to open fire on the ship and its civilian passengers.

Rossiter’s greed leads to his being killed by a member of the Queen’s crew. Brittain must abandon the money when Lauffnauer prepares to dive the sub without him. A U.S. Coast Guard cutter in the vicinity, played by the Miami, Florida-based USCGC Androscoggin (WHEC-68), comes to the ocean liner’s aid. Lauffnauer elects to fire the sub’s torpedoes at it. When the others protest, he pulls a gun. Rosa tries to stop him and Lauffnauer accidentally shoots his friend, Moreno. The Coast Guard cutter destroys the torpedoes that Lauffnauer manages to fire from the U-boat. Brittain, Rosa and Linc dive off the sub, just before it is rammed by the Americans. They survive, paddling a raft, but their mission has resulted in three deaths and netted them nothing.

//youtu.be/dd03qev59Jo

Ok, I posted a nomination for the incredibly hot (late) Leslie Nielsen earlier, but since we are now posting film clips, here’s the trailer to one of the best cult films of all time.

I saw it a dozen times when it premiered. I was 13. I was weird. Still am.

Fun facts: Most of the cast did all their own stunts. That included Shelley Winters (Mrs Rosen) who dove into the water in her final scene, and swam using a guide rope and safety divers (one can be spotted if you watch carefully). The scenes were shot in order; the costumes were the same ones worn daily and got progressively more disgusting as time wore on. Some of the interior scenes were shot on the (now museum) Queen Mary in Long Beach, including the bridge. Some exterior shots were also taken with care not to reveal telltale off-ship scenery. The cameras were rocked to simulate movement. There was no such thing as CGI back in the early 70’s.

The movie was based on a novel by Paul Gallico, who wrote it after reading about a near-capsize of Queen Mary back when she was a WWII troop ship.

Carol Lynley (Nonnie) provided her own go-go boots. She and Red Buttons did not get along at all, despite their being cast as a romantic interest. They finally reconciled their differences after many years.

And Roddy McDowall (Acres) was very lithe and athletic, unlike his injured character. Use Google to find out what sort of unique athletic prowess he would demonstrate to his guests when he had cocktail parties at his Hollywood digs. Here’s a hint: Dogs do it with ease. You will never watch Planet of the Apes quite the same way again.

:wink:

Hey c.captain, forget Hollywood when’s the gCaptain movie coming out? I can picture it now.

Some newby walks up to the bridge and laughs at how your hair is pinned up into short curls. You give him the stink eye then start singing:

Para escribir gcapitan. Para escribir gcapitan se necessita una poca de gracia.
Una poca de gracia y otra cosita y arriba y arriba.
Ay! Arriba y arriba. Oh! Arriba y arriba. Or yo te el palo puntiagudo! palo puntiagudo! palo puntiagudo!
Yo no soy marinero. Yo no soy marinero, soy c.capitan, soy c.capitan, soy c.capitan.

[QUOTE=albertpachino;95697]Hey c.captain, forget Hollywood when’s the gCaptain movie coming out? I can picture it now.

Some newby walks up to the bridge and laughs at how your hair is pinned up into short curls. You give him the stink eye then start singing:

To write gcapitan. To write gcapitan is necessary a little thanks.
A little of thanks and another little thing and up and up.
Oh! Up and up. Oh! Up and up. Or I pointed stick you! pointed stick! pointed stick!
I’m not a sailor. I’m not a sailor, I’m c.captain, I’m c.captain, I’m c.captain.[/QUOTE]

You dirty little rat…I’m gonna get you for that!

Who knows what evil lurks within the pointy stick?

btw, what tune is that verse to be sung to? “A Life on the Ocean Wave” perhaps?

[QUOTE=albertpachino;95697]Hey c.captain, forget Hollywood when’s the gCaptain movie coming out? I can picture it now.

Some newby (make that KP cadet) walks up to the bridge and laughs at how your hair is pinned up into short curls. You give him the stink eye then start singing:

To write gcaptain. To write gcaptain is necessary a little thanks.
A little of thanks and another little thing and up and up.
Oh! Up and up. Oh! Up and up. Or I pointed stick you! pointed stick! pointed stick!
I’m not a sailor. I’m not a sailor, I’m c.captain, I’m c.captain, I’m c.captain.[/QUOTE]

You dirty little rat…I’m gonna get you for that!

Who knows what evil lurks within the pointy stick?

btw, what tune is that verse to be sung to? “A Life on the Ocean Wave” perhaps?