AMO and it's support of the cruise industry?

In researching AMO and visiting their website, I saw on the front page under Bulletins & Information “Bringing US officers to the international cruise industry.”

I was very surprised to see this as other than MEBA providing deck/engine officers to NCLA, I have never heard of an American union providing crews to any of the cruise lines. The bulletin was accompanied by the following video:

So the first thing I would like to ask is, have you guys heard of this? What is the status of their supposed “bringing of US officers to the cruise industry”?

The second thing that I would like to address is from the video. You’ll see Tom talking about some “program” where AMO will go around to high schools around the nation and supposedly recruit young kids into a training program for the cruise industry leading to STARTING salaries of approx. $100,000.

I’ve been researching the industry, to include reading the gCaptain and its forum, for about 5 years now. Why have I never heard of this “program” before? Something just isn’t adding up. Seems like a program like that would wind up being a big farce anyways.

Royal Caribbean and their subsidiaries have several American officers and captains without having to join a union. Most of the others only hire foreign officers. Almost all non-union.

NCL international, not NCLA had several American deck and engine officers when I worked for them. A Staff Captain was a Texas Maritime grad

AMO wages are so very very low that American members of that so called union are probably now cheaper than Filipinos.

Maybe my questions were a little off. I am fully aware that Royal Caribbean, Disney, Norwegian (both International and of course through MEBA on the Pride of America), and Celebrity have some American officers working for them. Even a while back there was a KP grad working at Cunard.

My question pertains to AMO’s claim that THEY are going through the process of getting contracts with cruise lines to place AMO mariners on the ships. And, with this “program” where Tom Bethel says they will train up kids from high schools and give them a starting salary of 100K just seemed pretty fishy. Has anyone heard about this?

How can a guy, an “executive” in the maritime industry go on national TV, and claim that they will go around to high schools, and “recruit” interested youth, train them up, and place them in jobs on cruise ships with a starting salary of 100K? What would be the motive for making such claims? Anyone with a spare 10 min. and a slight interest in the maritime industry can google what it takes to be a deck or engineering officer, and what the salaries of the cruise officers ACTUALLY are (pretty sure Chief mates and even some Captains will be lucky to see 100K).

[QUOTE=MandolinGuy;133927]My question pertains to AMO’s claim that THEY are going through the process of getting contracts with cruise lines to place AMO mariners on the ships. And, with this “program” where Tom Bethel says they will train up kids from high schools and give them a starting salary of 100K just seemed pretty fishy.[/QUOTE]

Not fishy at all…Tom Bethel is doing what he is a master at which is [B]LYING![/B]

Come on son, this is AMO we are discussing. No real union would ever think to undercut what Filippinos make except that mafia bunch. They’ll probably tell all these kids about all the free sex they’ll get with hot young stewardesses on top of the magical money!

FUCKING MAFIA ASSHOLES!

[QUOTE=tugsailor;133926]AMO wages are so very very low that American members of that so called union are probably now cheaper than Filipinos.[/QUOTE]

LOL

That’s what I’ve heard, but as Tom claims in the video, these kids will start out at 100K!

@C.Captain-
You’re right. I’ve seen the high amount of mariners disenfranchised with AMO on this forum, but I never thought that someone would actually have the balls to go on national TV and say shit like that! Crazy!

But wait…but you…one minute unions are a great thing next they’re mafia assholes which is it?

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;133936]But wait…but you…one minute unions are a great thing next they’re mafia assholes which is it?[/QUOTE]

I know your message is aimed at c.captain, but it seems like that the fundamental idea of a union for mariners is great and all, but one is being run by individuals with an alternate agenda opposite of the one which they solicit in order to get elected.

[QUOTE=MandolinGuy;133918]

So the first thing I would like to ask is, have you guys heard of this? What is the status of their supposed “bringing of US officers to the cruise industry”?

The second thing that I would like to address is from the video. You’ll see Tom talking about some “program” where AMO will go around to high schools around the nation and supposedly recruit young kids into a training program for the cruise industry leading to STARTING salaries of approx. $100,000.

I’ve been researching the industry, to include reading the gCaptain and its forum, for about 5 years now. Why have I never heard of this “program” before? Something just isn’t adding up. Seems like a program like that would wind up being a big farce anyways.[/QUOTE]

The “bringing US officers to the cruise industry” probably refers to the Ocean Ranger program. Basically they are US mariners who ride aboard cruise ships that are visiting Alaskan waters to ensure compliance with Alaska’s environmental regs, more info here: http://amo-union.org/News/2010/201010/201010.pdf

The program with high school students likely refers to the TECH thing, which is relatively new. From what I can gather it sounds like they provide all the classes needed to obtain your license and in return you sail for AMO. More info here: http://www.star-center.com/techprogram/techprogram.html

You guys can talk about AMO all you want, I don’t trust any damn one of them. They can all go get stuffed as far as I’m concerned.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;133936]But wait…but you…one minute unions are a great thing next they’re mafia assholes which is it?[/QUOTE]

the AMO and the SIU are NOT UNIONS! They are their very own mafias controlled by “the Don” Michael Sacco!

Don’t know by now that I believe there are mafias EVERYWHERE in this industry and I hate ALL of them because I am not a member of any, but mainly that I don’t like in any way a mafia functions which is to make itself profitable and powerful at the expense of fair and open business! Mafias do not believe in level playing fields!

pilot associations, the KP administration, OMSA… they are all mafias!

Now, the question is how can I start my own mafia? I hate being on the outside looking in at the fat assholes making bank and dining on Filet smoking those Cuban cigars which I eat beans and roll my own!

I hate to break it to you but they’re ALL mafias

[QUOTE=Louisd75;133940]The “bringing US officers to the cruise industry” probably refers to the Ocean Ranger program. Basically they are US mariners who ride aboard cruise ships that are visiting Alaskan waters to ensure compliance with Alaska’s environmental regs, more info here: http://amo-union.org/News/2010/201010/201010.pdf

The program with high school students likely refers to the TECH thing, which is relatively new. From what I can gather it sounds like they provide all the classes needed to obtain your license and in return you sail for AMO. More info here: http://www.star-center.com/techprogram/techprogram.html[/QUOTE]

Very interesting. Thanks for the links. I’m curious if anyone has ever actually gone through the TECH thing. Almost seems like the “sponsorships” provided to cadets in Europe…but those companies don’t seem to hire them after graduation. I heard from someone that the companies receive some type of subsidy for training the cadets/students.

I do recall hearing about US officer positions on cruise liners in Alaskan waters to ensure environmental compliance and what not…doesn’t seem to be a main-stream career path in the industry though, or one that I would be interested in necessarily. Regardless, if anyone on here has done it before I’d be curious to hear about your experience.

[QUOTE=MandolinGuy;133945]Very interesting. Thanks for the links. I’m curious if anyone has ever actually gone through the TECH thing. Almost seems like the “sponsorships” provided to cadets in Europe…but those companies don’t seem to hire them after graduation. I heard from someone that the companies receive some type of subsidy for training the cadets/students.

I do recall hearing about US officer positions on cruise liners in Alaskan waters to ensure environmental compliance and what not…doesn’t seem to be a main-stream career path in the industry though, or one that I would be interested in necessarily. Regardless, if anyone on here has done it before I’d be curious to hear about your experience.[/QUOTE]

The TECH thing is still very new. I think that they just started the first class of students a couple of months ago and they’re projecting 2.5 or 3 years to complete the coursework so it might be a while before we know how it pans out. I’ve heard that they’re currently getting the second group of students together. On paper, it sounds like a good program and I’m sure it’s going to attract those who either want to start sailing sooner than if they’d gone to an academy or can’t afford to go to an academy. I think it’s currently limited to engineers and you likely won’t receive a degree. I don’t think having a degree a big deal within the industry, but if you were to leave the industry I could see it as being helpful.

[QUOTE=Louisd75;133947]The TECH thing is still very new. I think that they just started the first class of students a couple of months ago and they’re projecting 2.5 or 3 years to complete the coursework so it might be a while before we know how it pans out. I’ve heard that they’re currently getting the second group of students together. On paper, it sounds like a good program and I’m sure it’s going to attract those who either want to start sailing sooner than if they’d gone to an academy or can’t afford to go to an academy. I think it’s currently limited to engineers and you likely won’t receive a degree. I don’t think having a degree a big deal within the industry, but if you were to leave the industry I could see it as being helpful.[/QUOTE]

How does increasing the supply of engine officer by pumping out minimally qualified third engineers and by-passing the academy system benefit current members?

[QUOTE=MandolinGuy;133945]Very interesting. Thanks for the links. I’m curious if anyone has ever actually gone through the TECH thing. Almost seems like the “sponsorships” provided to cadets in Europe…but those companies don’t seem to hire them after graduation. I heard from someone that the companies receive some type of subsidy for training the cadets/students.

I do recall hearing about US officer positions on cruise liners in Alaskan waters to ensure environmental compliance and what not…doesn’t seem to be a main-stream career path in the industry though, or one that I would be interested in necessarily. Regardless, if anyone on here has done it before I’d be curious to hear about your experience.[/QUOTE]

The Ocean Ranger program in Alaska, are well paid positions, paid by the State of Alaska (not the cruise lines) through revenue generated through a state cruise ship “head tax”. They earn roughly 10K per month during the season.

More bodies, more dues, more money for the pension fund. I don’t know how their membership looks right now, but with guys leaving for the oil field and new grads with the same idea looking for the big money, recruiting with a binding contract in exchange for training may be their best shot at keeping the numbers up.

[QUOTE=shipengr;133974]More bodies, more dues, more money for the pension fund. I don’t know how their membership looks right now, but with guys leaving for the oil field and new grads with the same idea looking for the big money, recruiting with a binding contract in exchange for training may be their best shot at keeping the numbers up.[/QUOTE]

I see, sort of a indentured servant program.

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;133987]I see, sort of a indentured servant program.[/QUOTE]

No that’s the USN.