All Hail Trump, the greatest weather forecaster ever

It sucks, no doubt…but as was mentioned by @Chief_Seadog earlier, it was the only option that doesn’t involve having US involvement in that region for generations to come. Like I said, not proud of it, but it’s what had to be done.

The parallels with what we did to the mujahedin back in the late 80’s after the Russians pulled out of Afghanistan are something to think about and the reason this is a terrible idea. Giving birth to the taliban of the 2030’s is not good foreign policy. Also, how the fuck are we supposed to convince anyone in the future that we are worth being an ally with?

Keeping the bloodshed over there requires in theater ally’s. Otherwise we will have to do it all ourselves and then we are back where we started. Up shits creek.

It’s like saying I don’t care about the electrical grid or the road system as long as the line to my house and my driveway is OK

More along the lines of “I can’t afford to keep up the electrical grid and road systems of country X, Y, and Z anymore because the one that feeds the line to my house is decrepit and in need of repair/replacement.”

Totally agree that under different financial conditions, that would be ideal. But the current reality of:

https://www.usdebtclock.org/

that’s just not possible to be sustained anymore. It’s time to reign in all these overseas endeavors (or at least pare them down to a bare minimum) and take care of our own problems first (you know, that whole America First thing).

As far as keeping the bloodshed over there, step one would be to not LET them come here. Don’t forget that all 20 of the 9-11 highjackers had legal visas to enter the US. Trump has tried to address that with the travel ban from specific countries where the ability to have reliable background checks is questionable/non-existent.

Those tax breaks for the 1% have consequences.

1 Like

as far as taxes, I’d say more damaging is having our tax code set up to where a company the size of amazon pays zero taxes two years in a row (btw, I don’t blame Amazon…they’re doing what any company should do which is maximize return to their shareholders).

But to your point, yes, the tax code needs revamping…that’s the income side…under discussion here is the spending side. The time has come (is past due actually) to stop the endless blood and treasure for countries that don’t even want us there model.

1 Like

The past 4 republican presidents have cut taxes and increased military spending. Where do you honestly think that ends? All of his intercontinental military action is good for the countries largest export. Weapons. That is not going away anytime soon.

Don’t get me wrong, the other sides solution is mostly garbage as well, but man I am tired of being told that the current bastardization of the Republican Party is fiscally conservative. It is not. Trump owns this years budget deficit. No way to blame that on Obama.

2 Likes

Agree…he also owns the stock market being at all time highs in part due to his tax cuts, regulation cuts, etc.

Also agree. As I’ve said before, I don’t support Trump and his policy schedule 100%. But what I do support is his stated goal of America First and his actions in forwarding that goal such as trying all he can do without congressional support to secure our border, get out of endless wars, disconnect ourselves from the enemy disguised as economic partner that is China, making our NATO “allies” pay for some of the security they receive from that alliance, and get out of the disaster that was the Iran deal. Those are massive policy changes to undertake singly much less all at once. Are there going to be messy/shitty parts (like having to make the Kurds fend for themselves)? Yes. Like having to pay more for the shit on the shelves at Wal Mart? Yes. Like having to pay to keep our farmers afloat until some trade deal is reached? Yes. But it’s all short term pain to further long term, best interests of the country goals.

1 Like

Your average working stiff pays taxes on his salary but capital gains aren’t taxed. WTF?!? CEOs love to load up on stocks, they’re tax free earnings. They made 287 times more than their workers did last year and the gap continues to widen with no end in sight. Their salaries don’t reflect the money they grow in stocks. I have to wonder if this is what Ronald Reagan had in mind when he sold trickledown economics to the nation.

I assume you mean unrealized capital gains…(i.e., a stock has gone up in value but hasn’t been sold yet). Capital gains are taxed once they are realized (used to be a long term rate and a short term rate, not sure if that changed with the tax changes that recently took effect).

BTW, we working stiffs can also take advantage of this feature…and if done so in a Roth IRA, we won’t pay taxes at all on the capital gains.

1 Like

From IRS website: The tax rate on most net capital gain is no higher than 15% for most taxpayers. Some or all net capital gain may be taxed at 0% if you’re in the 10% or 12% ordinary income tax brackets

That’s another good point…that 15% rate is much lower than most of our (US mariners) income tax rates. So still a pretty good deal.

True but billionaires have bean counters on the payroll to make sure they are realized into trust funds, and various investment loop holes so they can continue to grow unmolested. They also fly down to the Caymans with suitcases crammed with cash.

Probably a lot of truth to that…taxing unrealized gains on a yearly basis is one way to combat that. Another would be a flat tax…or yet another would be consumption tax…but those are whole other topics on their own

1 Like

3 Likes

They’ll tell you the money came from book royalties and speaking fees. When speaking engagements rake in a couple of hundred grand per appearance, it adds up. It’s a convenient way to transfer money, no questions asked.

Yes it is a shame that the self-proclaimed “richest country in the world” can’t look after it’s children, or keep it’s population housed, but that is no excuse for abandoning your trusted allies and encourage another allie to start killing women and children for political gain.
This action is going to come back and hurt you, one way or another.

BTW; The US Gov does not spend anywhere near the 0.7% of GDP in foreign aid targeted in a UN agreement of 2015:
https://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/blog/2015/07/countries-adopt-addis-ababa-action-agenda/

OK only 5 countries actually do and US is the largest donor in volume, even though that is below 0.2% of GDP:

IMG_5193

The four pillars of Reagan’s economic policy were to reduce the growth of government spending, reduce the federal income tax and capital gains tax, reduce government regulation, and tighten the money supply in order to reduce inflation

Critics of Reaganomics have pointed to the widening income gap, what they described as an atmosphere of greed, and the national debt tripling in eight years which ultimately reversed the post-World War II trend of a shrinking national debt as percentage of GDP.

The reducing of government regulation soon trickled down to this country and others in Europe causing the same widening of income gap. Household disposable income has been standing still for almost forty years, while the GDP has multiplied during that same period.

The labor income share in the economy is under increasing pressure at the expense of higher capital income, which means household incomes are lagging behind. Like in the US there also is a substantial drop in middle class income especially due to technological advancement. The factor labor is becoming less and less important which translates to a weak bargaining position for higher wages and other benefits.

2 Likes

This is true. A working stiff can set aside enough money to maintain his lifestyle after retirement but because a CEO can reinvest capital gains and maintain a tax free status on a much larger scale, he can establish a dynasty. That kind of money can influence politics and make sure the tax and banking systems continue to favor them.

The Economist had a leader about “The man without a plan” last week: