Aiviq

What do you expect to see from the locals in regards to all the oil exploration equipment staging in the area? Could there be enough fuss that the equipment will need to be relocated?

[QUOTE=Kingrobby;160199]Has that ever been proven or tested?[/QUOTE]

Probably not in full scale, but the vessel has been tested in an ice tank prior to construction.

Any protests by the Leftwing Seattle Hippie crowd will most likely be only passive aggressive. They lack the energy or fortitude for violence due to their vegan/vegetarian diets.

The extent of the protests directly related to the equipment should be their little mosquito fleet kayak protest in front of the rigs during transport. Local news reported that they were warned not to get directly in front of a GIANT FUCKING SHIP THAT WONT STOP. Coast guard will be on hand to clear a path im sure. We’ll see how that works out. Some of the protesters have said in a roundabout way that they expect all of the equipment to end up dockside in the port, then they will just make sure it doesn’t leave.

Beyond that, they will naturally be stationed all over seattle with signs in protest of the operation, but much like occupy Wallstreet, it will stop being trendy, everyone will forget about it and they’ll go back to sitting on the sidewalk demanding $15/hour for every person working in the unskilled labor market. Because they all have art degrees and work in the unskilled labor market. :smiley:

How does that even work? They got it cruising 5kts in tank full of frozen water? Honestly this kind of makes me want to be a naval architect, now I just need to learn math.

Yeah.

//youtu.be/kAv3QI8AZt4

In full scale, the ship in the video looks like this:

There’s five of these in the Caspian Sea and their performance has been confirmed in full scale.

Looks like the Aiviq went up to Port Angeles. I guess they are going to tow the Polar Pioneer rig to Seattle. Lindsey Foss is there too…nice boat.

[QUOTE=bcoogan23;160155]What is the official home port of the Aiviq? I’m assuming its not branded saying “Galliano, LA” like the rest of US flagged ECO boats[/QUOTE]

The home port is wherever it doesn’t blow the contract!

Better watch out for strange fuel additives in Port Angeles.

They ever get the other winch fixed? Don’t want anymore ignored alarms by the “tow captain”.

But what is really pretty in the picture of the first msg in the string is the wonderful old Fisher’s Flour Mill and dock. Was tied up there many times, but long ago. I’m surprised it is still standing.

I would put my money on two green tugs towing it to Seattle and maybe two red and white ones towing it to alaska…

[QUOTE=rshrew;160482]I would put my money on two green tugs towing it to Seattle and maybe two red and white ones towing it to alaska…[/QUOTE]

I hope so. It would be nice to see Polar Pioneer get to the Chukchi drill site without the Cajun Navy putting it on the rocks hundreds of miles away from the proper route.

Is there such a thing as cleaning up an oil spill in an ice flow?

[QUOTE=powerabout;160522]Is there such a thing as cleaning up an oil spill in an ice flow?[/QUOTE]

And that’s the million dollar question.

[QUOTE=catherder;160534]And that’s the million dollar question.[/QUOTE]

no, it is really a ten cent question…the answer to which is NO!

Does the aardviq have heated decks n hand rails?

it’s got a morgue if ya have that you should have everything else!

[QUOTE=powerabout;160522]Is there such a thing as cleaning up an oil spill in an ice flow?[/QUOTE]

There are some technologies available for this, but in general the cleanup operation is not as efficient in ice as it is in open water as the oil adheres to the ice pieces and they need to be cleaned mechanically using e.g. the brushes shown in these videos:

//youtu.be/rDyLJ39pSVQ

There are also novel vessel concepts for more efficient recovery in ice (or actually separation of oil and ice so that the former can be recovered more efficiently with the oleophilic brushes), but someone would have to build such a ship first:

Of course, you can always burn the oil, but mechanical recovery is always better for the environment. As for dispersants, as far as I know they don’t work that well in cold water and using them does not count as “cleanup”.

Having a look at MarineTraffic over the weekend shows the Aiviq was/is well involved in the offloading of the Polar Pioneer. And is still with her now, possibly helping with those thrusters.

Maybe they’ll give her the honor of (just) towing the rig into the port of Seattle. Surely nothing can go wrong during such a brief journey.

[QUOTE=Drill Bill;160773] Surely nothing can go wrong during such a brief journey.[/QUOTE]

Famous last words.

And never forget they have such a sterling record for manning, preparation, planning, skills, and every other operational and management aspect that should have prevented the debacle that made Aiviq famous.