Advanced firefighting

I live in the Southeastern US (Panama City, FL) and am having a rough time finding a USCG approved advanced firefighting course. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Exactly how hard are you trying?!? I live in North Carolina where there are none and know of several including in Florida. Come on dude, do a little research!

are you related to mark? the one who surfs/

Fletcher in Houma is the cheapest around, offers it every month. Maybe even twice a month.

Exactly how hard are you trying?!? I live in North Carolina where there are none and know of several including in Florida. Come on dude, do a little research!

I’ve looked into Delgado Communtity College in New Orleans, and a couple in South Florida but there are others that are not listed on the internet I’m sure (which someone here may know about). I was hoping for feed back on the best ones as I’m sure many on here have attended good and bad. I wanted to base my attendance of a school on the answers from others who have actually attended a class they liked. I was under the impression that a forum was to learn from others experience. Since You have not attended one, You offer very little help! Thanks for the adult reply anyway!

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=stick;122673]are you related to mark? the one who surfs/[/QUOTE]

Not that I know of!

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Mullet Farm;122674]Fletcher in Houma is the cheapest around, offers it every month. Maybe even twice a month.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! That’s one I did not find on the internet. I’ll look into it.

[QUOTE=ShawnYoungblood;122671]I live in the Southeastern US (Panama City, FL) and am having a rough time finding a USCG approved advanced firefighting course. Any suggestions would be appreciated![/QUOTE]

Go to the web page for the place that approves the courses.

I’m struggling to get in advanced fire fighting as well, I work for Chouest but my coordinator won’t get you off the boat to let you take a class and I can never find one that lines up with my time off.

Good luck!

When I was there (CHOUEST) I supported good hands by making sure the Coordinator would get them off for schools. Maybe u should have a talk with the Master.

Quality Maritime in St Petersburg.

And just in case you get into a pinch, Mid-Atlantic Maritime in Norfolk offers the course (I’ll be taking it after the holidays). It’s another option for you southeast guys.

I have, they have set me up with classes but when it comes time to go, the coordinator won’t send a replacement and has came to the boat and let everyone know that classes are to be taken on “your own time”. I had a class set up here (radar) that started on the morning of my crew change off and I was going to take a taxi back to the office the class started 2 hours before our crew change and was told I couldn’t go, had this class lined up for a little over a month.

I had heard things had changed there. I will never say anything bad about them because they always treated me well when I was there. Sorry this is happening to u.

[QUOTE=Swampfox;122696]Quality Maritime in St Petersburg.[/QUOTE]

I can vouch for Quality Maritime. They run a very good course and the price was very reasonable to me. I don’t believe they do Advanced Fire during the summer months, but this time of year you should be able to line something up. Lots of decently priced hotels in the area, too.

It’s not the whole company, just select divisions. I wouldn’t say it’s a bad company by any means. It’s all good though, I can write off all of my classes by the end of the year!

Young Memorial in Morgan City is part of the Louisiana Technical system as is L. E. Fletcher is in Houma. They both have Mariner training including Basic and Advanced fire fighting and have the best prices as they are non-profit public schools. $595 for Basic-Advanced

.http://coastguardtraining.com/marine-Tuition.htm

[QUOTE=“blaineatk;122730”]

I have, they have set me up with classes but when it comes time to go, the coordinator won’t send a replacement and has came to the boat and let everyone know that classes are to be taken on “your own time”. I had a class set up here (radar) that started on the morning of my crew change off and I was going to take a taxi back to the office the class started 2 hours before our crew change and was told I couldn’t go, had this class lined up for a little over a month.[/QUOTE]

I had about the same ordeal a time or two with a coordinator at Chouest. Just luck of the draw sometimes on that. Luckily I got most of my classes when I was off.
Fletcher in houma does have advanced firefighting scheduled almost every week. I ended up taking it there just to get it out of the way rather than fight and take a chance at getting bit at chouest. It was worth the money and great guys that teach it too.

Yeah, win some lose some. If I have to pay for classes to make more money, whatever. In the end it’s worth it. My coordinator isn’t a bad guy, just a little tough to work a class schedule with.

Shawn, here’s the point Mr. Cavo was making: http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/ (look in the middle of the page where it says “Search” and “Approved Courses”).

I attended basic/advanced course at Delgado in New Orleans East. It was a good course/facility. You can get a hotel in Slidell, NOLA East, or even down in NOLA itself. Definitely recommend attending during the cooler months.

[QUOTE=“blaineatk;122907”]Yeah, win some lose some. If I have to pay for classes to make more money, whatever. In the end it’s worth it. My coordinator isn’t a bad guy, just a little tough to work a class schedule with.[/QUOTE]

What place in Pensacola were you trying to take it at?

A place called Pensacola maritime academy