Admissions

[QUOTE=cmakin;81211]The raise in drinking age must have had a huge impact. It was 18 in NY back when I attended, and also 18 on any federal installation. I thought that the Pub was a great idea. It certainly saved money for us customers, made a little back and kept many from driving to and from another joint.[/QUOTE]

Plus, you could catch the bus to and from if you didn’t have a car. I did have a car, a1958 Chevy rag top, kept it in a rented garage down steamboat, only a few choice classmates knew about. It was against the rules to have a car way back then - but hey.

[QUOTE=KPEngineer;81202]The Pub used to be anyone over 21, but they kept sliding it back until it was Seniors only. They almost shut it down when they caught some guys sitting around a keg in the basement when it was closed…[/QUOTE]

Oh my goodness - I very well could have done something like that back then. :wink:

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;81214]Plus, you could catch the bus to and from if you didn’t have a car. I did have a car, a1958 Chevy rag top, kept it in a rented garage down steamboat, only a few choice classmates knew about. It was against the rules to have a car way back then - but hey.[/QUOTE]

As this thread rapidly veers off topic. . . . . I didn’t have a car out there, me being from the west coast and all, and not really needing personal transportation. I did have a lot of roommates and ex roomies that had cars; and let’s face it, the walk to the train station really wasn’t THAT far. There was also an unoffical shared “senior car”. It was a well abused early 70’s Maverick, beige, I believe. Lots of big old rust stains, too. Bald tires, all of the finer options. We called it “The Embarassing Stain”. I learned how to drive on snow and ice in that car, and while consuming many adult beverages. I vaguely remember being in the stuffed into the with many others doing donuts in the snow of some of the finer lawns of the greater Kings Point/Great Neck area. At least I don’t THINK I was driving. Funny how some of us survived those years.

If course I did experience a lovely hit on a telephone pole on Steamboat Road as a passenger in a Vega one icy Saturday night. Wrapped the right side of the car around it pretty good, too. I remember everything right up to the impact, and then a few minutes later when the emergency services showed up and I came to. I was lucky to live through THAT one. Got a ride in an ambulance and a night at the infirmary. Couple of bruised ribs. I probably would have been really hurt if I was sober.

[QUOTE=cmakin;81236]As this thread rapidly veers off topic. . . . . I didn’t have a car out there, me being from the west coast and all, and not really needing personal transportation. I did have a lot of roommates and ex roomies that had cars; and let’s face it, the walk to the train station really wasn’t THAT far. There was also an unoffical shared “senior car”. It was a well abused early 70’s Maverick, beige, I believe. Lots of big old rust stains, too. Bald tires, all of the finer options. We called it “The Embarassing Stain”. I learned how to drive on snow and ice in that car, and while consuming many adult beverages. I vaguely remember being in the stuffed into the with many others doing donuts in the snow of some of the finer lawns of the greater Kings Point/Great Neck area. At least I don’t THINK I was driving. Funny how some of us survived those years.

If course I did experience a lovely hit on a telephone pole on Steamboat Road as a passenger in a Vega one icy Saturday night. Wrapped the right side of the car around it pretty good, too. I remember everything right up to the impact, and then a few minutes later when the emergency services showed up and I came to. I was lucky to live through THAT one. Got a ride in an ambulance and a night at the infirmary. Couple of bruised ribs. I probably would have been really hurt if I was sober.[/QUOTE]

Gee - I was a saint compared to you.

My rented garage was on a street ending on Steamboat. One fine wintery Saturday night around 2200 I secured my car and while walking to Steamboat who should drive by me, old Commandant-ee himself, HO Travis. He saw me and stopped, asked if I was heading back to the Academy, I was, he told me to get in, I did, he asked "cadet, what in the world are you doing here at this time of night. My reply, “Sir, I was bird watching.” He looked a little stunned and started to laugh. Nothing ever became of it. Just after graduation, HO came over to me and said “bird watching, eh!” He chuckled and turned around. I guess he knew all the time.

I commuted senior year.

My future father in law was retired so he let me use his car and my future wife worked at Melville so I had a parking pass. I used to park right next to my company officer in the land hall parking lot. About a week into commuting I got wise and started wearing gym gear for the ride in. The very next day I met cheap shot as I was entering the building about 0630. He took one look at my gym gear and just said “good deal” then went about his business. Dodged a bullet there.

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;81254]Gee - I was a saint compared to you.

My rented garage was on a street ending on Steamboat. One fine wintery Saturday night around 2200 I secured my car and while walking to Steamboat who should drive by me, old Commandant-ee himself, HO Travis. He saw me and stopped, asked if I was heading back to the Academy, I was, he told me to get in, I did, he asked "cadet, what in the world are you doing here at this time of night. My reply, “Sir, I was bird watching.” He looked a little stunned and started to laugh. Nothing ever became of it. Just after graduation, HO came over to me and said “bird watching, eh!” He chuckled and turned around. I guess he knew all the time.[/QUOTE]

I sometimes look back at some of the things that I did and just shake my head. I am so glad my kids aren’t like me at all at their age (early 20s). At least from what I can guess. I don’t do too many stupid things anymore. Well, except for standing in front of speeding cars with a camera to protect me.

[QUOTE=KPEngineer;81264]I commuted senior year.

My future father in law was retired so he let me use his car and my future wife worked at Melville so I had a parking pass. I used to park right next to my company officer in the land hall parking lot. About a week into commuting I got wise and started wearing gym gear for the ride in. The very next day I met cheap shot as I was entering the building about 0630. He took one look at my gym gear and just said “good deal” then went about his business. Dodged a bullet there.[/QUOTE]

He probably thought you either were starting or ending your run on that jogging path to the north east of Victory Gate. I used it a lot of times - these days it’s a nice easy walk in the mountains with my dogs.

[QUOTE=cmakin;81265]Well, except for standing in front of speeding cars with a camera to protect me.[/QUOTE]

Like to push it to the limits, do ye? :slight_smile:

We called it the Ho Chi Minh trail

[QUOTE=cmakin;81052]Oh. Now you tell me how to do a Sea Project. Oops.[/QUOTE]

Ha…well you can the humanities sea project and make puppets out it…the only thing that did was hinder my drinking in port…ehhh, who am I kidding, I waited until the night before it was due to write it.

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;81063]I’m most pleased to read you post, scengineer, how times don’t change, I could have posted similar thoughts nearly a half century ago when I sat my my 2nd’s after sailing a year as 3rd (I got out in 62). I heard back then that I would run into engineers who didn’t much like cadets but during my full year at sea as a cadet (we did that back then, a full year after our 4th class year), I didn’t have a problem. All the engineers were helpful if they saw the cadet was serious and willing to put out some enthusiasm. Actually I pondered whether to return back to KP as I could get my FWT/Oiler, sail as one or the other, and study for my 3rd’s aboard ship, The thought of hurting my folks prevented me doing such. It’s nice to read about a recent graduate who joined the MEBA and works the board. I use to, When I was ready to ship out I took any open job. I made my money and made my time for Group One.
I haven’t heard the word “PONY” in decades - Is Zombo still in use? The Administration tried their best to kill the word but it didn’t readily go away.
You have offered excellent advice.
I wish you the very best.
Oh, how many steamers are left, any at all, are most jobs diesel?[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you made the right decision gutting KP out. The same holds true today about ship board engineers taking cadets under their wings, as long as their attitude is right. Right after I got out of KP, I took a job with EXMAR (which was a foreign flag LNG tanker, MEBA contract of course). The ships had steam plants and they were built in 2005 and 2009. After reading some of your post, you would have been very disappointed with all the automation on board (hell, throttle control was on the bridge…maneuvering was just like a diesel plant). This allowed me to get my steam second’s. I have spent a great deal of my time this past year and a half at Easton. Calhoon is what Kings Point should be in my opinion. I was able to take a 100 day 2nd’s job on the old Sealand Market (now the SS Pollux in ROS). I had pleasure of bring both plants up from cold iron, raising vacuum, and practically get the plant online…it was mighty tempting to open the throttle just a little bit. Anyways, there are a few steam ships in service…Horizon has a few and so does Matson. MEBA is a great organization, even though we’re going through some tough times right now. But you just can’t beat the training and pension plan.

[QUOTE=scengineer;81287]Sounds like you made the right decision gutting KP out. The same holds true today about ship board engineers taking cadets under their wings, as long as their attitude is right. Right after I got out of KP, I took a job with EXMAR (which was a foreign flag LNG tanker, MEBA contract of course). The ships had steam plants and they were built in 2005 and 2009. After reading some of your post, you would have been very disappointed with all the automation on board (hell, throttle control was on the bridge…maneuvering was just like a diesel plant). This allowed me to get my steam second’s. I have spent a great deal of my time this past year and a half at Easton. Calhoon is what Kings Point should be in my opinion. I was able to take a 100 day 2nd’s job on the old Sealand Market (now the SS Pollux in ROS). I had pleasure of bring both plants up from cold iron, raising vacuum, and practically get the plant online…it was mighty tempting to open the throttle just a little bit. Anyways, there are a few steam ships in service…Horizon has a few and so does Matson. MEBA is a great organization, even though we’re going through some tough times right now. But you just can’t beat the training and pension plan.[/QUOTE]

You are correct, I would not like all the automation, in case you missed it here’s a video of what I liked. I’m at the throttles.

Yes, I agree, Kings Point should be like Calhoon, a wonderful training opportunity for us engineers, I attended as often as possible. I enjoyed reading your lighting off from dead iron. Brought me back to what I did for decades. Looks like you are doing your level best to stay on top of it all. You will only get better and better. I know, I was there.

[QUOTE=scengineer;81285]Ha…well you can the humanities sea project and make puppets out it…the only thing that did was hinder my drinking in port…ehhh, who am I kidding, I waited until the night before it was due to write it.[/QUOTE]

Welcome to our world, scenginner, it’s your world now. My God, my friend, I sincerely wish you the best. You are a breath of fresh air. I sincerely appreciate who you are and am so pleased you posted on this wonderful forum.
Cheers
Oh, always ask yourself, when you leave the Engine Room, have I forgotten anything.

Damn chief that brings back some memories. It’s been 18 years since I’ve answered bells on a steam ship. I didn’t think I’d ever forget the smell of bunker c. Wow time flies…

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;81290]You are correct, I would not like all the automation, in case you missed it here’s a video of what I liked. I’m at the throttles.[/QUOTE]

Good GOD man…they had video way back then! Anyway what the hell is that stovepipe sticking out of your face?

Anyway, a fine testament to when ships were steam powered and so were the men who put them to sea!

[QUOTE=c.captain;81307]Good GOD man…they had video way back then! Anyway what the hell is that stovepipe sticking out of your face?[/QUOTE]

Why it’s a smoking tulip - Very much the in thing way back then.

[QUOTE=c.captain;81307]Anyway, a fine testament to when ships were steam powered and so were the men who put them to sea![/QUOTE]

That’s nice - Thank you

just as long as it wasn’t a Shwisher Sweet!

That’s nice - Thank you

you’re welcome!

[QUOTE=scengineer;81285]Ha…well you can the humanities sea project and make puppets out it…the only thing that did was hinder my drinking in port…ehhh, who am I kidding, I waited until the night before it was due to write it.[/QUOTE]

I had to re-do the humanities portion of the project. Good ol’ Percy Bardot. He did like my second effort, though. I was really too busy working, drinking and uh, visiting museums in port to work on my Sea Project most of the time. I boarded my last ship as a cadet, opened up the drawers under the bunk, and WOW, a 10 year old complete second split engineering sea project. . . . . It was like the parting of the Red Sea.

As far as steam ships go, I do believe that their time is now past. The few modern plants were LNG tankers (as noted above) since they could burn the leak off from the tanks in the boilers. Now there is a big push to have LNG powered engines in marine vessels, that may signal the end. The offshore industry has been using gas powered high speed engines offshore for powering compressors and generators, so it was just a matter of time before the technology shifted over to marine propulsion. Most of the ULCCs and VLCCs of the 70s and 80s were still steam because of the high horsepower demands of those vessels and the fact that diesel engineering at that time hadn’t quite caught up with the available hosepower from steam. When I was with ABS, I was very surprised to see fairly new Japanese built steam plants on the large Exxon and Chevron tankers. Due to age and single hull rules, however, those ships have either been scrapped or turned into FPSOs. I have said as much to Sweat-n-Grease, but not to the general board. When I was sailing on a steam ship, I felt like an engineer. With diesel, I felt like a mechanic/janitor. I can’t really complain, though. Bills were paid and fun was had. Learned lots that I use in my current employ, almost every day.

[QUOTE=cmakin;81336]As far as steam ships go, I do believe that their time is now past. The few modern plants were LNG tankers (as noted above) since they could burn the leak off from the tanks in the boilers. Now there is a big push to have LNG powered engines in marine vessels, that may signal the end. The offshore industry has been using gas powered high speed engines offshore for powering compressors and generators, so it was just a matter of time before the technology shifted over to marine propulsion. Most of the ULCCs and VLCCs of the 70s and 80s were still steam because of the high horsepower demands of those vessels and the fact that diesel engineering at that time hadn’t quite caught up with the available hosepower from steam. When I was with ABS, I was very surprised to see fairly new Japanese built steam plants on the large Exxon and Chevron tankers. Due to age and single hull rules, however, those ships have either been scrapped or turned into FPSOs.[/QUOTE]

Well - it was only a matter of time <sigh> we steam engineers saw it coming and done our best to prepare ourselves to take on the big boys. Gotta post, it was indeed satisfying handling those LLS diesels but it wasn’t the same. Engineers, whether steam, diesel,or whatever, are all good at twisting wrenches.

[QUOTE=cmakin;81336]I have said as much to Sweat-n-Grease, but not to the general board. When I was sailing on a steam ship, I felt like an engineer. With diesel, I felt like a mechanic/janitor.[/QUOTE]

:smiley:

me too

[QUOTE=cmakin;81336]I can't really complain, though.  Bills were paid and fun was had.  Learned lots that I use in my current employ, almost every day.[/QUOTE]

Funny how that works.
1 Like