Admissions

I’m sure it is.

[QUOTE=scengineer;81031]A lot also depends on what state you’re from. Each state is guaranteed a number of nominations. So for the most part you’re competing against people from your state.[/QUOTE]

Yeah move to Wyoming your senior year and you may have a better shot at getting in.

[QUOTE=scengineer;80671]I’m a recent grad of KP ('09 to be exact). I have been sailing deep sea with MEBA since I stepped out of the gates. Believe me, I haven’t had the least bit of trouble getting a job of the board. If you’re willing to work holidays and the summers, you can make some money. As far as admissions, its more or less the “overall person” if you will. They do not focus solely on grades or GPA. It will help a lot if you played a sport, JROTC, and other clubs (not to mention if you were in some leadership capacity). As far as the education, it is what you make of it. Take sea years seriously…its not a pleasure cruise. Do your sea projects and don’t just copy and paste from a PONY. Be prepared to take a lot shit because most people do not like KP cadets.[/QUOTE]

Oh. Now you tell me how to do a Sea Project. Oops.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;81024]Sounds like Webb Institute, http://www.webb-institute.edu/[/QUOTE]

Webb is a great school. Even with the admission paid by a foundation, the student costs are still pretty high. You won’t see the grads sailing on any licenses; but you may be working for them or operating the equipment they design.

[QUOTE=scengineer;80671]I’m a recent grad of KP ('09 to be exact). I have been sailing deep sea with MEBA since I stepped out of the gates. Believe me, I haven’t had the least bit of trouble getting a job of the board. If you’re willing to work holidays and the summers, you can make some money. As far as admissions, its more or less the “overall person” if you will. They do not focus solely on grades or GPA. It will help a lot if you played a sport, JROTC, and other clubs (not to mention if you were in some leadership capacity). As far as the education, it is what you make of it. Take sea years seriously…its not a pleasure cruise. Do your sea projects and don’t just copy and paste from a PONY. Be prepared to take a lot shit because most people do not like KP cadets.[/QUOTE]

I’m most pleased to read you post, scengineer, how times don’t change, I could have posted similar thoughts nearly a half century ago when I sat my my 2nd’s after sailing a year as 3rd (I got out in 62). I heard back then that I would run into engineers who didn’t much like cadets but during my full year at sea as a cadet (we did that back then, a full year after our 4th class year), I didn’t have a problem. All the engineers were helpful if they saw the cadet was serious and willing to put out some enthusiasm. Actually I pondered whether to return back to KP as I could get my FWT/Oiler, sail as one or the other, and study for my 3rd’s aboard ship, The thought of hurting my folks prevented me doing such. It’s nice to read about a recent graduate who joined the MEBA and works the board. I use to, When I was ready to ship out I took any open job. I made my money and made my time for Group One.
I haven’t heard the word “PONY” in decades - Is Zombo still in use? The Administration tried their best to kill the word but it didn’t readily go away.
You have offered excellent advice.
I wish you the very best.
Oh, how many steamers are left, any at all, are most jobs diesel?

[QUOTE=cmakin;81052]Oh. Now you tell me how to do a Sea Project. Oops.[/QUOTE]

Oh you Big Bad Boy you

~~~~~ :wink: ~~~~~

Zombo was alive and well when I graduated in 97. Proud to have been one too.

[QUOTE=KPEngineer;81069]Zombo was alive and well when I graduated in 97. Proud to have been one too.[/QUOTE]

Myself as well. All three rotations. A proud achievment.

[QUOTE=KPEngineer;81069]Zombo was alive and well when I graduated in 97. Proud to have been one too.[/QUOTE]

me too …

The Top Deputy Dog (Commandant, I believe is the word) back in the fall of 61, a Captain HO Travis, USMS, so hated the word he tried to have it black-listed and punishable as an offense if any cadet was caught using “Zombo.” This didn’t go far, rumor has it that the Sup himself killed it - however - HO came-up with another idea, get rid of the Zombo board. All first classmen would have at least one fore-n-aft gold stripe on the shoulder board, not the slanted three. This was not implemented, if it ever was, during my days at KP. I proudly wore my Zombo boards. As I look back I got to wonder just what kind of mind set does it take to be so fixated on such trivia. BTW, there are a good number of such folks in the military. If you read Catch-22 you might recall Lieutenant Scheisskopf and his mania for planning parades. There are many examples in literature, fiction and non.

Four decades after our good Commandant’ee, HO Travis, failed to rid the word it was still in play as you graduated. THAT’S some staying power.

Oh my God - one thing you definitely can be sure of, in life there will be lots of trivia.

In hindsight … I wish I had scrounged a pair of the old slanted 3-stripe boards. They would have been awesome to wear. Unfortunately I think of these things 15 years too late.

Some things do stay around forever. I was at GMATS a couple years ago and the then Deputy Commandant was still called “cheap shot” by the mids. A nick name he got from his classmates in the early 80s.

[QUOTE=cmakin;81080]Myself as well. All three rotations. A proud achievment.[/QUOTE]

Indeed, we should make-up a citation for such an honorable feat and for three rotations too. Perhaps I’ll try to design one, post it on gCaptain.
There are a few pictures of the old Zombo board available I could scan.for the background of The Zombo Citation.
You could print it out and place it on your trophy board - hey - I ain’t got no trophy board.

[QUOTE=KPEngineer;81092]In hindsight … I wish I had scrounged a pair of the old slanted 3-stripe boards. They would have been awesome to wear. Unfortunately I think of these things 15 years too late.

Some things do stay around forever. I was at GMATS a couple years ago and the then Deputy Commandant was still called “cheap shot” by the mids. A nick name he got from his classmates in the early 80s.[/QUOTE]

Nick Names are telling - all mine are the generic types like “Jack” or “OB” or “Shit Head”

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;81082]me too …

The Top Deputy Dog (Commandant, I believe is the word) back in the fall of 61, a Captain HO Travis, USMS, so hated the word he tried to have it black-listed and punishable as an offense if any cadet was caught using “Zombo.” This didn’t go far, rumor has it that the Sup himself killed it - however - HO came-up with another idea, get rid of the Zombo board. All first classmen would have at least one fore-n-aft gold stripe on the shoulder board, not the slanted three. This was not implemented, if it ever was, during my days at KP. I proudly wore my Zombo boards. As I look back I got to wonder just what kind of mind set does it take to be so fixated on such trivia. BTW, there are a good number of such folks in the military. If you read Catch-22 you might recall Lieutenant Scheisskopf and his mania for planning parades. There are many examples in literature, fiction and non.

Four decades after our good Commandant’ee, HO Travis, failed to rid the word it was still in play as you graduated. THAT’S some staying power.

Oh my God - one thing you definitely can be sure of, in life there will be lots of trivia.[/QUOTE]

The Zombo boards were gone by the time I got there. All First Classmen were “Midshipman Ensigns” if they didn’t have some sort of billet. We were all aware of the three hash Zombo boards, though. Sheesh. Man, I remember getting drunk and then undermining my classmate “officers” in front of the underclass. In hindsight, I probably shouldn’t have done that. Oh, wait. I only did it to the ones that deserved it. Never mind.

[QUOTE=KPEngineer;81092]In hindsight … I wish I had scrounged a pair of the old slanted 3-stripe boards. They would have been awesome to wear. Unfortunately I think of these things 15 years too late.

Some things do stay around forever. I was at GMATS a couple years ago and the then Deputy Commandant was still called “cheap shot” by the mids. A nick name he got from his classmates in the early 80s.[/QUOTE]

Cheap Shot made it up to Deputy Commandant? Wow. Don’t forget Needlenose, Fred Flinstone . . .there were others, however those brain cells are long dead. I was able to avoid most of their antics. I don’t know that I ever earned 4 demerits after the first half of plebe year. Didn’t keep my from having a bar in my room and going over the wall pretty much when I wanted to. One just had to figure out the system . . . . .

[QUOTE=cmakin;81180]The Zombo boards were gone by the time I got there. All First Classmen were “Midshipman Ensigns” if they didn’t have some sort of billet. We were all aware of the three hash Zombo boards, though. Sheesh. Man, I remember getting drunk and then undermining my classmate “officers” in front of the underclass. In hindsight, I probably shouldn’t have done that. Oh, wait. I only did it to the ones that deserved it. Never mind.[/QUOTE]

If my class was any example there were plenty who did deserve it.
“Midshipman Ensigns” - Oh my goodness
I didn’t want to return to KP after completion of my sea year but I did, I simply made the decision to grin and bear it, after all it was only two more years and I didn’t want to hurt my parents. That’s important. I didn’t give one rat’s ass about the regimental system, just another fucking obstacle to deal with. Now you might hear folks saying that the experience gained by dealing with it is important to which I reply horse shit.

[QUOTE=cmakin;81181]Cheap Shot made it up to Deputy Commandant? Wow. Don’t forget Needlenose, Fred Flinstone . . .there were others, however those brain cells are long dead. I was able to avoid most of their antics. I don’t know that I ever earned 4 demerits after the first half of plebe year. Didn’t keep my from having a bar in my room and going over the wall pretty much when I wanted to. One just had to figure out the system . . . . .[/QUOTE]

Was the Fire House on Steamboat Road available? How about the Town Pub across from the railroad station?

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;81190]Was the Fire House on Steamboat Road available? How about the Town Pub across from the railroad station?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Firemen’s as we called it was there. If I am not mistaken, it was a bar (private) run by the Great Neck Volunteer Fire Department, and they let us drink there. From what I understand, that permission is no longer granted. The pub across from the railroad station was there, but wasn’t a real big hang out for me, or the others that I hung with. Most of the time we were catching a train, it was too early and the bar wasn’t open and we usually didn’t get back until way past closing time.

The two joints where we spent most of our time were the Hicks Lane Bar (on the corner of Middleneck and Hicks Lane). Most of the time it was called Workingman’s, or Hammerman’s; the latter for obvious reasons. Tiny joint. Gone now, from what I understand. Probably the place where I did most of my drinking outside of my room.

Just down the road, across from the Green was McDonnell’s Pub. It was much bigger than Hammerman’s. Kind of a strange crowd, too; like Halloween every Saturday night. We didn’t hit Fireman’s too much after plebe year; and after we opened up the Midshipman’s Pub in Land Hall.

There weren’t really many local hangouts left by the 90s. Most people went to Bennigans near the train station or there were keggers at KP Park. The Pub used to be anyone over 21, but they kept sliding it back until it was Seniors only. They almost shut it down when they caught some guys sitting around a keg in the basement when it was closed.

I remember when cheap shot made Captain, USMS. He came into Delano on a Sunday and would lean over the table to say Hi, practically putting out our eyes with his shiny new eagles.

[QUOTE=KPEngineer;81202]There weren’t really many local hangouts left by the 90s. Most people went to Bennigans near the train station or there were keggers at KP Park. The Pub used to be anyone over 21, but they kept sliding it back until it was Seniors only. They almost shut it down when they caught some guys sitting around a keg in the basement when it was closed.

I remember when cheap shot made Captain, USMS. He came into Delano on a Sunday and would lean over the table to say Hi, practically putting out our eyes with his shiny new eagles.[/QUOTE]

The raise in drinking age must have had a huge impact. It was 18 in NY back when I attended, and also 18 on any federal installation. I thought that the Pub was a great idea. It certainly saved money for us customers, made a little back and kept many from driving to and from another joint.

[QUOTE=cmakin;81194]Yeah, Firemen’s as we called it was there. If I am not mistaken, it was a bar (private) run by the Great Neck Volunteer Fire Department, and they let us drink there.[/QUOTE]

You are correct. I spent more than I should have there - but hey.

[QUOTE=cmakin;81194] From what I understand, that permission is no longer granted.[/QUOTE]

Hummm? Times do change, don’t they.

[QUOTE=cmakin;81194] The pub across from the railroad station was there, but wasn’t a real big hang out for me, or the others that I hung with. Most of the time we were catching a train, it was too early and the bar wasn’t open and we usually didn’t get back until way past closing time.

The two joints where we spent most of our time were the Hicks Lane Bar (on the corner of Middleneck and Hicks Lane). Most of the time it was called Workingman’s, or Hammerman’s; the latter for obvious reasons. Tiny joint. Gone now, from what I understand. Probably the place where I did most of my drinking outside of my room.

Just down the road, across from the Green was McDonnell’s Pub. It was much bigger than Hammerman’s. Kind of a strange crowd, too; like Halloween every Saturday night. We didn’t hit Fireman’s too much after plebe year; and after we opened up the Midshipman’s Pub in Land Hall.[/QUOTE]

Well, I don’t know any of them, naturally as I’m from a half century ago.
We had a fine tavern a short walk down Steamboat called "Maurice’s, in which Maurice’s two beautiful daughters worked. Great food served there too! Cold draft beer, drinking age was 18 back then. The Pub was popular on Sat nights. The only two reasons for me to visit KP are gone. The Town Pup morphed into a Danka Doughnuts joint, Maurice’s closed decades ago.