Usmma class of 2018

Hey guys I am 17 and I aspire to go to kings point? Are there any tips or suggestions what’s the life like and how can I best qualify to be a competitive canidate?

You would have better luck with that question here:

[QUOTE=rofahy;89971]Hey guys I am 17 and I aspire to go to kings point? Are there any tips or suggestions what’s the life like and how can I best qualify to be a competitive canidate?[/QUOTE]

Oh God NO! Not another one? It’s too early in the morning for this. Why don’t they stop? How many of them are out there? They’re just like little cockroaches…you step on one and crush it like a bug and 50 more seem to emerge from under the refrigerator!

Please son…go to that other forum with your little boy questions and leave us working mariners here in peace. I might also recommend using proper spelling, capitalization and punctuation after you reach the exit.

[QUOTE=c.captain;89998]Oh God NO! Not another one? It’s too early in the morning for this. Why don’t they stop? How many of them are out there? They’re just like little cockroaches…you step on one and crush it like a bug and 50 more seem to emerge from under the refrigerator!

Please son…go to that other forum with your little boy questions and leave us working mariners here in peace. I might also recommend using proper spelling, capitalization and punctuation after you reach the exit.[/QUOTE]

OMG!! U dont no about how we rite now.

[QUOTE=cmakin;90007]OMG!! U dont no about how we rite now.[/QUOTE]

Oh god! haha!

Rofahy sent you a PM.

[QUOTE=cmakin;90007]OMG!! U dont no about how we rite now.[/QUOTE]

;);):wink: … one more :wink:

Did I overdo it … again?

You know, there may be a hook on this thread.

Instead of discouraging us you should encourages and help us who are young to make the right decisions instead of telling us of. You were young once needing help and seeking guidance on how to achive your goals.

[QUOTE=rofahy;90026]Instead of discouraging us you should encourages and help us who are young to make the right decisions instead of telling us of. You were young once needing help and seeking guidance on how to achive your goals.[/QUOTE]

No one is discouraging you, rofahy. Perhaps if you tell us why you would like to make the sea your life’s work might help. You see, this forum is loaded with US Merchant Seaman who are actively engaged with Deep Draft sailing, Off Shore employment, Great Lakes, and Rivers, plus some who are retired after decades of sailing.
We are a gruff bunch, it comes with the territory, but honest. You can learn a lot by simply reading the threads.

So, why do you want to be a US Merchant Seaman?
That should be the first item you need to deal with. It could be a difficult task if you don’t have any family association with the sea, or know folks who do.
Then, after you make-up your mind (or even think you have, with your age you can and should make mistakes) comes the next step. Where is the best place for me to receive my training?

Are we making any headway now?

My father did 10 years in the coast guard, my uncles brother in law graduated from kp and now is a port captain down In Florida. I am a junior who seeks adventure, the life on the sea seems to offer nothing but adventure and lessons to learn, to experience life, to take on nature, see the world. I don’t want to get a job and be unhappy, I want to be happy navigating the seas exploring the world and one day be a captain as well, lead a crew and take on new challenges. It seems exciting I believe that being a merchant marine is a life if excitement, brotherhood, and adventure. This is why I strive to become a merchant marine and one day be able to help young dreamers such as my self one day.

Don’t take this the wrong way, but you are dreaming, containers took away the romance that sailing once was. No more sitting in port for a week, you’re lucky to get 12 hours. I love my job, don’t get me wrong. I loved sailing deep sea and I love working on an OSV, it’s exciting and challenging in its own way, but you’ll have to explore the world on your off time.

[QUOTE=rofahy;90033]My father did 10 years in the coast guard, my uncles brother in law graduated from kp and now is a port captain down In Florida. I am a junior who seeks adventure, the life on the sea seems to offer nothing but adventure and lessons to learn, to experience life, to take on nature, see the world. I don’t want to get a job and be unhappy, I want to be happy navigating the seas exploring the world and one day be a captain as well, lead a crew and take on new challenges. It seems exciting I believe that being a merchant marine is a life if excitement, brotherhood, and adventure. This is why I strive to become a merchant marine and one day be able to help young dreamers such as my self one day.[/QUOTE]

Ryan is right you are dreaming. However for Kings Point you need a nomination and what you just gave as you reason is an excellent one to tell a politician. Also I want to point out a few more things about the nomination process.

1. Get working on it as soon as possible. Go to the Academy Fairs!
  2. USMMA is the only Service Academy where you get receive a nomination from a congressmen that is not in your district. This means that you could obtain multiple nominations which helps you chances because you will be knocking other people off the list that your competing against.
  3. Do mock interviews. If your parents know how to do them they can conduct them for you but I found it to hard to take it seriously when doing it with them. So I recommend you have a teacher or professional perform them.
  4. Be able to turn every negative about your self into a positive.
  5. Show leadership characteristics.
  6. Most important of all dress to impress. Wear a suit if you have one when ever you attend the fairs. If you don’t have a suit wear a sports coat and tie. I have gotten jobs over others because of the clothes I have worn.

Also make sure you know what you are getting into. Watch videos on youtube of indoc, and visit the campus.

If you have other questions that are specific I am sure people here will be willing to help just don’t leave them open ended or you may face the pointy sticks.

Looks like we are making headway. I like that. This is nice.

[QUOTE=rofahy;90033]My father did 10 years in the coast guard, my uncles brother in law graduated from kp and now is a port captain down In Florida. I am a junior who seeks adventure, the life on the sea seems to offer nothing but adventure and lessons to learn, to experience life, to take on nature, see the world. I don’t want to get a job and be unhappy, I want to be happy navigating the seas exploring the world and one day be a captain as well, lead a crew and take on new challenges. It seems exciting I believe that being a merchant marine is a life if excitement, brotherhood, and adventure. This is why I strive to become a merchant marine and one day be able to help young dreamers such as my self one day.[/QUOTE]

Very good - Nothing wrong with being a dreamer, it’s a great gift.

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;90040]Looks like we are making headway. I like that. This is nice.[/QUOTE]

NYAH! Bullpizzle on being nice. I hate nice…it’s for sissies!

Arrrgghhhhhhh…such a pie-eyed child filled with nothing other than utterly ludicrous delusions and fantasies.

I can’t take this and it’s merchant MARINER…not merchant MARINE!

C.Captain is back.

There is not much adventure left unless you consider crew changing from different airports an adventure. Your off time while on board is very small and may be carefully watched. THE most important thing is that you choose your career based on what you want you enjoy doing, legally. If you just want adventure you can go enlist in the USMC and be a grunt, adventures will be guaranteed. If you choose working on ships the adventures will increase after you pass middle age if you are competent. For example I seem to spend all my time in airports going to such exotic locations as Tampico, Singapore, Ulsan, Lagos and other lovely locations where I get to get over jet lag in just enough time to do it all again. However, because I chose a career and not an adventure I am pretty content.
Good luck to you. Remember, you can always change your mind

If people with these kind of spelling and grammatical skills can get into USMMA…well crap.

I’m hearing that little tiny squeak again…