AB route to take?

I want to end up on work boats, sea going or inland tugs. But would it be better to work toward my AB time on OSV toward mate or would it be better and faster to go straight to a tug? <br><div>I have to say I love this site, you guys are great.</div>

<P><font color=#ffffff>The quickest way to get where you want to go is to work towards mate 500 Tons Inland with Mate of Towing Vessels Inland. Sticking to inland keeps you out of STCW and the time and effort to comply with the training and assessment requirtements.</font></P>
<P><font color=#ffffff>If you stay inland, you can either go from entry level to Apprentice Mate in 18 months of sea time followed by 12 months as Apprentice mate to Mate Of Towing Vessels, or 24 months to Mate 500 Tons Inland. If you get the time for the latter on tugs, you’ll also have the 30 days tug service and the opportunity to get the TOAR done and be able to work as Mate (Pilot) on an inland tug…<br><br>However, you don’t need to make this decision right away. 12 months of the time for Apprewntice Mate can be on vessels other than towing vessels, so you might consider keeping your options open initially by going for the OSV initially and as you near the one year of serevice, make a decision then whether to go for the inland tug or to stay on the OSV.<br><br>James D. Cavo<br>Chief, Mariner Training & Assessment Division<br>USCG National Maritime Center<br></font><A href="mailto:James.D.Cavo@uscg.mil]<font color=#ffffff>James.D.Cavo@uscg.mil</font></A></P>

But it is still a 3 year total sea time correct?

Apprentice Mate takes 18 months of service, then another 12 to Mate (Pilot). This is sea time, not an estimate of the calendar time needed to get it. See 46 CFR 10.465 and 466<br><br>Mate Not More Than 500 GRT Inland is 24 months, see 46 CFR 10.448.<br><br>James D. Cavo<br>Chief, Mariner Training & Assessment Division<br>USCG National Maritime Center<br><A href="mailto:James.D.Cavo@uscg.mil]James.D.Cavo@uscg.mil</A>

So what is the general pay like for a mate OSV vs a mate work boat?