A Mr. Cadavo Question about TWIC

Recently did a job for a company that asks all employees to sign documents appointed the company as their agent to apply for their USCG documents . I do nt remember about the TWIC. I declined.

They said they do this because they have had so many problems with crew allowing their documents to expire. Amazing.

[QUOTE=Steamer;188367]
I think the CG forces us to have one of the useless things because it officially justifies the political corruption that created the scam to begin with.[/QUOTE]

What is that sound? I hear a bell. Do you hear it, too? Could it be? The ring of truth.

[QUOTE=KPChief;188305]Hmm, don’t need one to get a position? You do need one to get a license or I assume any unlicensed credential as well.[/QUOTE]

absolutely.

MMC no good without TWIC. can’t get new MMC without valid TWIC.

TWIC expires at sea… Your MMC is now technically invalid.

Most, if not all, shipping companies will no longer (especially international trade) ship mariners without docs good for the entire dispatch. And usually plus some extra days beyond that.

I sailed for months on an expired TWIC for MSC…alone with a few shipmates. No one cared. I was told that the only time it was an issue was during a CG inspection. Yea right.

I was advised to update my TWIC while in the pool but still managed to report aboard with an expired card. We went through a CG inspection the following month when coming out of the shipyard. Nothing came of it. No one appeared to me paying attention. Or…no one appeared to care.

I have since updated the card a couple of weeks ago. It took only 5 days from appointment date to being in my mailbox. I was told it would take less than 30. I really don’t know where this long delay of 10 to 12 weeks is coming from. Sounds like extreme exaggeration.

[QUOTE=Steamer;188367]

A TWIC won’t even begin to get you into Port Everglades … a drivers’ license will though.[/QUOTE]

That’s crazy.

[QUOTE=Lee Shore;188385]That’s crazy.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it is. It is also a glaring indicator of how corrupt and just plain stupid our CG and political “authorities” have become. It is a banana republic style method of removing cash from the few remaining maritime workers in order to line the pockets of defense contractors who are in bed with congressional whores. The same whores who are working overtime to eliminate the Jones Act and the few remaining protections on which the American merchant marine depends for survival.

[QUOTE=Steamer;188397]Yes, it is. It is also a glaring indicator of how corrupt and just plain stupid our CG and political “authorities” have become. It is a banana republic style method of removing cash from the few remaining maritime workers in order to line the pockets of defense contractors who are in bed with congressional whores. The same whores who are working overtime to eliminate the Jones Act and the few remaining protections on which the American merchant marine depends for survival.[/QUOTE]

Twelve states and the District of Columbia currently allow unauthorized immigrants to obtain a driver’s licenses. These states—California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah, Vermont and Washington—issue a license if an applicant provides certain documentation, such as a foreign birth certificate or a foreign passport, or a consular card and evidence of current residency in the state such as a rent receipt or a library card.

Public vessel, sovereign immunity. Many of the rules and regulations are complied with on a voluntary basis. This means the Command may ignore bothersome things such as TWIC, pollution, work/rest and so forth. Happens all the time.

I always love how government vessels are “alternate compliance vessels” that allows to get away with regulations that every other ship has to comply with.

[QUOTE=Pilot;188421]I always love how government vessels are “alternate compliance vessels” that allows to get away with regulations that every other ship has to comply with.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of alternate compliance program…
DNV GL USCG MOA

[QUOTE=KPChief;188526]Speaking of alternate compliance program…
DNV GL USCG MOA[/QUOTE]

Based upon my experience, I have a lot more confidence in DNV surveyors than I do in USCG inspectors. Few American owners choose DNV because it is very expensive, and DNV does a thorough job, far too thorough for most American owners.

A Subchapter M inspection done by DNV would actually have some value.

[QUOTE=KPChief;188526]Speaking of alternate compliance program…
DNV GL USCG MOA[/QUOTE]

Aren’t they only confirming pervious agreement between DNV - USCG and GL - USCG to do the same.
The two are now joined as DNV-GL. What is the difference?

How many of the IACS members are approved by USCG to do the same?

For that matter; how many ports around the world has USCG inspectors stationed?
What is the cost and time to get USCG inspector to attend in a foreign port?

With a small fleet of ships in international trade there is no need to waste Owner’s time and money (which is the same) just for an annual inspection, when there are already qualified Class Surveyors available to do so.

Are anybody implying that USCG Inspectors are better qualified, or less likely to “overlook” faults, then a Class Surveyor of whatever nationality?

FYI: All other IMO member states allow Class Societies to act on their behalf, but they pick and choose which ones. So does USCG.

BTW How many flag states have approved ABS to act on their behalf?

That’s it. Pretty common to have Class Societies take care of Statutory Inspections such as SOLAS, MARPOL, ILLC, etc. When I was in the field with ABS, each flag state would issue a circular with the specific requirements for completion of the Statutory surveys on their behalf. During my tenure with the Bureau (nearly 10 years) I issued documentation and carried out inspections for most regular Flag States and a few not so regular. One of the Flag States that we were NOT authorized for any Statutory Surveys was Mexico, not even Load Line. I was involved with a vessel conversion that changed from Panamanian Flag to Mexican Flag at the end of the project. Made for lots of fun and extra paperwork, but I was given special authority to act for the Mexican Maritime Authority for this one case and this one vessel. I also know that where there are cases that the Coast Guard needs to send their inspectors, they certainly will. I worked a claim in Nigeria a few years back on a US Flag vessel and there were two inspectors that were statiuoned in Beaumont that were flown out to do their work.

I just renewed mine in late June and it took less than 10 days. That said, get your shit in at least one month early.

Port access varies. I had to have a TWIC when they first came out because I worked for a contractor that provided products and services to ships and I made service calls at many ports.

Some ports it’s some barely conscious renta cop who waves you in, and other places they do the whole magilla with the turnstile, fingerprints, and registration.

When you renew make sure you are registered as a merchant mariner so your biometric info is shared with the NMC.

Who the Hell is Mr. Cadavo?

[QUOTE=AHTS Master;188624]Who the Hell is Mr. Cadavo?[/QUOTE]

I think he resides with the dearly departed. Somewhere, a medical student is picking his brains- literally.

Finally got my TWIC approved. 60 plus days and it took Senator Mark R. Warner’s involvement. Lost an entire hitch and is now the most expensive document I’ve applied for! lol

It’s pretty sad when you have to get a US Senator involved just to be issued a useless document that no one looks at, yet you have to have anyway. I don’t know which twic card office you used but I renewed mine in VA Beach in April and got it back 2 weeks later.

This from Splash 24/7 today: http://splash247.com/uscg-announces-electronic-fingerprint-security-for-entry-to-high-risk-ports/

I have no idea whether this is news or old hat for you guys.

$17,000 machines. It’s easy to forge the cards and bypass visual inspections. Only certain ships carrying dangerous cargoes will have to get readers from what I’ve read. I’m guessing containerships, tankers, LNG?