A Mari Usque Ad Mare Ad Mare

If the light is in operation it is being manned. When I was there, the penny pinchers in Ottawa were promoting automated lights to cut costs. At that time, many lighthouses in the US had already been converted to automatic operations and as often is the case, Canada was following suit.

It was my duty station but I spent a lot of time at VTS.

I haven’t kept in touch with him but the assistant light keeper at the time wrote a book about lighthouse keepers in isolated areas who went bonkers from solitude (so they thought).

It turns out the skin in their hands was absorbing the mercury in which the lens apparatus floated . It turned out that hat makers suffered from the same affliction because they made the beaver hats shine by coating them with mercury which is highly poisonous. They became known as the proverbial Mad Hatters.

I can’t remember his name but he also wrote other books so you could probably google him.

I think Atkinson Light is still manned because its in the middle of a popular public park and people are curious. I reckon the people there are there to protect the light and the buildings from the public as much as to maintain the light.

But I still want to know them just so I can sit on their back deck and have a cold one.

1 Like

If you can find the authors contact info I’ll contact him and help you with an introduction. If he is still in the business, he would certainly be a senior keeper by now and a wealth of knowledge.

1 Like

Tor Viking in bad weather:

She has been in the news a few times:

2 Likes

That Tor Viking is the clear carrier of the Foundation Maritime spirit. “Rescues mariner and his cat” :slight_smile: I think we should buy the Magne, Njord, Brage, and Loke, too. I’m sure Odin can find something to do, too.

“Hello, Your Majesty? Yeah, its me. Don’t put the chequebook away yet, I have an idea.”

(I did email a Senator, just in case they don’t follow my posts here.)

1 Like

Trump’s trade wars are at least good for one place:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-13/trump-s-trade-tirade-can-t-slow-this-booming-canadian-port

1 Like

Prince Rupert’s prominence has been a long time coming. Its extraordinary positioning was spotted in the early 1900s but its ambitions were cut short when its principal backer – Charles Melville Hays, the railroad tycoon who laid the groundwork for the critical link underpinning it today – died aboard the Titanic in 1912.

I didn’t know. How interesting.

On an unrelated trade note: world-wide maple syrup solidarity.

The warm, fuzzy sticky benefits of standing up for what you believe and having friends who support you all over the place.

I’m glad it worked out for her, but would not the normal response merely be to print new labels to stick over the Saudi ones? I see that done from time to time on various products.

Here is an old example of that:
This cup from a long extinct Drilling contractor was made in what was then Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe):

But since two of their rigs were working in Cabinda, Angola and anything Rhodesian was banned, the fabrication data was blacked out (literally):

As you say, not a new idea.

1 Like

I suppose she could have done that. But she didn’t have to respond at all. She was interviewed for a news story (answering the question: do we even trade with Saudi Arabia?), and it was everyone else who responded. I feel particular warmth towards and kinship with the customer(s) in Jordan: I know from spending a summer there that they have the same spirit of hospitality as we do and accept an absolutely astounding number of refugees, as we try to do. And their food is soo good. I really hope there’s a sweets shop in Amman selling maple baklava. (And if there is, and you’re reading this, save some for me).

1 Like

East and West, shall the twine ever meet and agree on anything?:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-16/east-canada-lng-project-wins-buyers-in-shadow-of-western-rival

The Maud has reached her homeport:

Maersk to send the first container ship on a trip from NEA to NWE via NSR:
https://splash247.com/maersk-sends-first-boxship-along-the-northern-sea-route/

COSCO Heavylift ship completes passage of NSR in 33 days from Lianjugang, China to Rouen, France:
https://splash247.com/coscos-northern-sea-route-triumph-overshadowed-by-collision-in-the-arctic/

COSCO is a leader in foreign vessels using the NSR, with 10 ships using the route, so far.

More LNG tankers for the Yamal project coming “every day”":

By shortening the trips even further they could do with fewer Arc7 vessels:

Cost of rescue in the Arctic is high:

Impressive estimate, down to the last cent:

Two “new” ferries has been purchased to serve on the Straits of Bell Isle and the Labrador North coast:

The “Grete” arrived back at the building yard at Fiskerstrand today:

She will be upgraded and prepared for the Atlantic crossing.

The Hiiumaa is still in layup in Kiel, Germany:

There are three near identical ferries of this design said to have been sold recently. Here is some details of the ferries:
https://www.fiskerstrand.no/en/new-construction/yard-no-63-muhumaa-2010

1 Like

From Maasmond Newsclippings today:

The Venta Maersk has cleared the ice and heading down the Norwegian coast to Germany:

Accountants think that way. Engineers scratch their heads.