3rd Mate Seatime

I hold a 100GRT Master 200GRT Mate Near Coastal, most of my seatime is on vessels a little over 500GRT. Currently I am working on an MODU of 30,147GRT. The question I am asking is will any of my previous seatime count towards my third mate or does it all have to be on vessels over 1600GRT? If it doesnt, how many days do I need on a vessel over 1600 GRT? Thanks in advance for your help!

[QUOTE=Splash;16767]I hold a 100GRT Master 200GRT Mate Near Coastal, most of my seatime is on vessels a little over 500GRT. Currently I am working on an MODU of 30,147GRT. The question I am asking is will any of my previous seatime count towards my third mate or does it all have to be on vessels over 1600GRT? If it doesnt, how many days do I need on a vessel over 1600 GRT? Thanks in advance for your help![/QUOTE]

Off the top of my head…
I think all of the time has to be over 200 tons. Half has to be over 1,600.
I think you’re sitting pretty good. Don’t forget that you need time as an AB as well.

Thanks Anchorman!, I found it in the CFR’s, looks like half, 540 days, has to be on vessels over 1600 and the rest over 200. Just like you said. And the AB is 180 days so Im good, looks like its gona be about 2 years and it will take me that long to go threw all the STCW stuff. Anyway thanks for the comeback, I’m trying to keep your boy Capt.Lee strait over here but man its a full time job! :smiley:

If you are going to keep me “straight” you need to learn how to spell it first.

[QUOTE=Splash;16785]I found it in the CFR’s[/QUOTE]

Holy crap! I can’t believe that I’m not the only geek that will actually look stuff up in the cfrs!
Good for you, Splash!

Spelling has never been one of his strong points! I think he takes that after his mom.:wink:

Nemo

3RD MATE – (10.407)
A. 1080 days of deck service on Ocean steam or motor vessels, OF WHICH

1. 180 are as documented AB, Boatswain, or Quartermaster,
  2. 90 days of engineroom service may be creditable, OR
    B. Graduation from an academy (USMAA, USCGA, USNA, or GLMA), OR
    C. 360 days on vessels over 200 GRT operating on Oceans or Near Coastal waters while
    holding a master steam or motor 1600 of Ocean/NC.

UNLIMITED TONNAGE – (10.402(a))

1. All required service is on vessels over 200 GRT, AND
  2. 50% of the required service on vessels over 1600 GRT.

TONNAGE LIMITATION – (10.402(b))
A. Limited to max tonnage on which 25% of experience is obtained, OR
B. Limited to 150% tonnage which 50% of service spent WHICHEVER GREATER.