1st Assistant Engineer Upgrade Modules

Anyone recently take their 1st Asst. Engineer test? Looking at the modules section on marineradvancement.com website and they are saying 2 General, 1 Safety and 1 Electrical module. Is there no Motors module? Wouldn’t mind not having a section to study :slight_smile:

Hey guys I have the time to sit for my 3rd assistant lisence & dde unlimited tests. My question is this, I already have the study equipment for my 3rd… Mass maritime books vol. 1-3. And the hawsepipe thumbdrive for 3rd. Do y’all think I should get the specific material for the dde unlimited or should the study material I already have be sufficient? Thanks

2 general, 1 motors (or which ever mode of propulsion you want), 1 electrical, and 1 safety.

Rock82, nice thread jack. To answer your question though, all the questions come from the same giant question bank. Study the 3rd material and you should be good for both sets of tests.

[QUOTE=ForkandBlade;139642]Anyone recently take their 1st Asst. Engineer test? Looking at the modules section on marineradvancement.com website and they are saying 2 General, 1 Safety and 1 Electrical module. Is there no Motors module? Wouldn’t mind not having a section to study :)[/QUOTE]

It has been 10 years since I tested but I believe your website is wrong. The people that I know that have been through this recently have said it is still the same 5 test’s you have to take, just like it was the last time I tested. There are 4 modules, motors, general, electricity, and safety. You will have to take 2 test’s on one of the modules, it might be any one of the 4, even though I have never heard of any one getting 2 safety’s and only one time a friend got two electricity’s when he sat for his 1 A/E. Most people get two general or motor’s. It is the luck of the draw as to which one you get two of. Unless you are applying for steam then that will be another module plus another test for a total of 6 test’s, then you might get 2 steam tests thrown in the mix.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=rock82;139647]Hey guys I have the time to sit for my 3rd assistant lisence & dde unlimited tests. My question is this, I already have the study equipment for my 3rd… Mass maritime books vol. 1-3. And the hawsepipe thumbdrive for 3rd. Do y’all think I should get the specific material for the dde unlimited or should the study material I already have be sufficient? Thanks[/QUOTE]

If you can pass for your third asst, which is really the 2 A/E test you should have no problem passing the DDE test, probably over 75% of the question’s will be exactly the same, just less of them for the DDE

Testing for 1st this time home and I have a question about failing a section (I did use the search function to no avail.). If you fail one section and pass all the others, do you have to retake all the sections that you passed?

Example: Passing all but Electrical, Do I have to retake Motors, Safety and General again? Thanks for any help here!

[QUOTE=ForkandBlade;155788]Testing for 1st this time home and I have a question about failing a section (I did use the search function to no avail.). If you fail one section and pass all the others, do you have to retake all the sections that you passed?

Example: Passing all but Electrical, Do I have to retake Motors, Safety and General again? Thanks for any help here![/QUOTE]

You only retest on the one you fail. You have to test on all the modules first before they’ll let you retest any failed sections.

[QUOTE=Wrench;155800]You only retest on the one you fail. You have to test on all the modules first before they’ll let you retest any failed sections.[/QUOTE]

A very sincere thank you for replying!

Did you only study the same material for the 3rd Assistants test?