1600 ton mate and 100 ton master

Question for Mr. Cavo: Does having a 1600 ton mate automatically make you a 100 ton master? I had heard in the past that academy grads got a 100 ton master after getting their 3rd mate unlimited. But a co-worker swears his new 1600 ton mate makes him a 100 ton master even though it is no where on his MMC.

Thanks

I would think it makes him a 100-tom master only if it says so on his license.

That is my thinking as well. He swears it is in the CFR’s but I can’t find it.

[QUOTE=Snipe;71550]Question for Mr. Cavo: Does having a 1600 ton mate automatically make you a 100 ton master? I had heard in the past that academy grads got a 100 ton master after getting their 3rd mate unlimited. But a co-worker swears his new 1600 ton mate makes him a 100 ton master even though it is no where on his MMC.

Thanks[/QUOTE]
See 46 CFR 15.901(a):

(a) An individual holding a license or MMC endorsed as mate or pilot of inspected, self-propelled vessels of over 200 gross tons is authorized to serve as master on inspected vessels of less than 100 gross tons within any restrictions on the individual’s license or MMC.

How many times has this been answered before?

Thank you for the rapid reply. If you do a TOAR with the 1600 mate, does that make you a 100 ton master of towing? Our tugs are less than 100 tons. It is my understand that you need atleast a 500 ton master to go that route with out doing the apprentice program.

Completing a TOAR would only let you serve in the same capacity as your 500/1600 GRT or unlimited license – Mate.

I believe you should be investigating how to upgrade your Mate to Master. Then the MOTV issue would solve itself.

Stay a mate, ask for the Auto- upgrade to 3rd unlimited whether you get stuck with a restriction or not, and sign your TOAR, get the Mate of Towing… Then do the auto upgrade to 2nd… At that time you can take the 1600GRT crossover to Master… Or just go to Chief Mate, if you can get time

Maybe a stupid question, after reading the above post I am wondering if you upgrade from a limited tonnage mate’s license to a limited master does your Mate’s license go away? I ask as I’m about to take the 3 module mate of towing to 500 master exams…I’m sailing on 1585 tons and like the upgrade to 3rd limited idea…thoughts or comments?