Chief Mate Unlimited = Master 100 Tons?

Is an unlimited Chief Mate’s license sufficient to be Master 100 Tons? Which CFR refers to same?

ummmm yeah. 500 ton mate is equivalent to master 100

Thanks…do you know the CFR that shows the equivalencies?

46 CFR 15.901 (a)

Yea you should be able to get your 100 ton with out testing, but if your headed to the rec why not take the 70 question cross over exam and go ahead and get your 1600 ton master? Just food for thought.

If time is an issue you are authorized to serve as master on inspected vessels of less than 100 gross tons with a CMate license. If ya have time to kill, do what Jemplayer wrote.

Does anyone know the CFR that graphically shows all of the license crossover equivalencies?

GLMAGRAD, You might try this one on the NMC website-title 46,part 11, subpart D,professional requirements of deck officers.11.403 under regulations and codes. hope this helps out.

Not anymore according to the NMC. I just spoke to an evaluator in regards to this topic, and he explained the equivalencies like this:

3rd Mate= Master 100GRT
2nd Mate= Master 200GRT
Chief Mate= Master 500GRT

Is this a new revision, or did this guy smoke something before he came to work that day?

[B]He may have smoked something…or, they are keeping secrets.[/B]

[B]The proposed revision reads:[/B]
[FONT=Helvetica-Bold][SIZE=1][LEFT][SIZE=2]
[I][B]§ 15.901 Inspected vessels of less than[/B][/I]
[I][B]100 GRT/250 GT.[/B][/I][/LEFT]
[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Melior][LEFT]I An individual holding a license or[/I]
[I]MMC endorsed as mate or pilot of[/I]
[I]inspected, self-propelled vessels of 200[/I]
[I]GRT/500 GT or more is authorized to[/I]
[I]serve as master on inspected vessels of[/I]
[I]less than 100 GRT/250 GT within any[/I]
[I]restrictions on the individual’s license[/I][/LEFT]
[I]or MMC.[/I]

[B]The present rule reads:[/B]
[B][I]§ 15.901 Inspected vessels of less than 100 gross tons.[/I][/B]

I An individual holding a license as mate or pilot of inspected, self-propelled vessels of over 200 gross tons is authorized to serve as master on inspected vessels of less than 100 gross tons within any restrictions on the individual’s license.[/I]
[/FONT]

Thanks for all of the feedback. I would have gotten back to you all sooner except satellite comms are spotty here off Mumbai for our internet connection.
The answer to my question lies within the CFR…I appreciate the referral.

[QUOTE=Sea-K.;28746]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]3rd Mate= Master 100GRT
2nd Mate= Master 200GRT
Chief Mate= Master 500GRT

[/QUOTE]

And it also works in reverse as well… Right? :wink:

HAH!! whats good for one, should be good for the other…

So if I have a 3rd Unlimited, do I need to go back in and retest to get 100 ton Captain printed on my license? Or just ask them to print it on there?

Or is this even necessary and I can begin sailing now as a 100 ton captain on my 3rd unlimited?

No need to do anything, you’re already covered for Master LESS than 100tons, (99 and lower).

Once more for good measure:

[B][I]§ 15.901 Inspected vessels of [U]less[/U][/I] [I]than 100 gross tons.

[/I][/B]I An individual holding a license as mate or pilot of inspected, self-propelled vessels of over 200 gross tons is authorized to serve as master on inspected vessels of less than 100 gross tons within any restrictions on the individual’s license.[/I]

But I guess most 100 ton vessels are not inspected though… right?

[QUOTE=I Am Not A Pilot;30155]But I guess most 100 ton vessels are not inspected though… right?[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily, there are many inspected small passenger vessels, thery are often called “T boats” because they are inspected under Subchpater T of 46 CFR.

If I have a 3rd Mate unlimited, what do I have to do to get the actual 100 ton Master endorsment put onto my license, and If i use the time towards that is it then taken away from being able to be calculated towards 2nd Mate unlimited?

[QUOTE=Mate1221;44137]If I have a 3rd Mate unlimited, what do I have to do to get the actual 100 ton Master endorsment put onto my license, and If i use the time towards that is it then taken away from being able to be calculated towards 2nd Mate unlimited?[/QUOTE]

You can apply for the license, include the physical and drug test, pay the fees, undergo the safety and suitability screening and if you have submitted sufficent sea time take the Master 100 exam. In return you’ll get an infinitessimally small increase in the size of the vessel you can be the Master of (the difference between less than 100 GRT and not more than 100 GRT).

You won’t “lose” any sea time towards 2nd Mate. The same time can be used to qualify for Master 100 and for 3rd Mate to 2nd Mate (assuming it meets the tonnage requirements in 46 CFR 11.402).