1600 to tow master

Anyone know what it takes to get a master of towing from holding a 1600 master of oceans? Any short cuts?

You need to get a TOAR. Towing Operators Assessment Report. if I remember right. The standard way to get this is to work for a major Towing Company, and they have somebody qualified to OK You in your ability to maneuver a Tug, on there schedule, if and when they need somebody with a TOAR. You asked for a quick and easy way, and there is. Diamond Marine in NY State will take You out on a Tug and run You threw the paces, all in one day. Then You need 20 12hr days or 30 8hrs days as an Observer aboard a Towing vessel. Unfortunately there is isn’t an easy way around this one, your at the mercy of a Towing Company and there schedule, probably when they need somebody. More than Likely if they are willing to do the Observer Time for You, then they would also be willing to do a TOAR for You.

That is right. I would call that one helluva short cut.

[QUOTE=Richard Post;155183]Diamond Marine in NY State will take You out on a Tug and run You threw the paces, all in one day.[U][I][B]Then[/B][/I][/U] You need 20 12hr days or 30 8hrs days as an Observer aboard a Towing vessel. [/QUOTE]

It sounds like you are saying to go get your TOAR done and then get time on a tug. I would be extremely suspicious of anyone who completes the TOAR before they ever went on a tug. Also, you need a [I][U]minimum[/U][/I] of 30 days on a tug. If you have never been on a tug, you are probably going to need more than 20 12 hour days to gain the skill to legitimately complete the TOAR.

Question :

I hold a master 1600 oceans and apprentice steersman inland and Great Lakes.

I want to use the route of completing my TOAR and upgrading directly to master of towing Ocean via my 1600grt masters license. Will my time as a deckhand on a tug (which was needed to get my steersman ) count as my needed time for training and observation ?

[QUOTE=coldcreepin;155367]Question :

I hold a master 1600 oceans and apprentice steersman inland and Great Lakes.

I want to use the route of completing my TOAR and upgrading directly to master of towing Ocean via my 1600grt masters license. Will my time as a deckhand on a tug (which was needed to get my steersman ) count as my needed time for training and observation ?[/QUOTE]

Probably not, at least as far as adding Master of Towing based on holding Master 1,600. You need 30 days on the route you will be endorsed for or qualify for. So to qualify for Master of Towing Ocean you would need 30 days under observation and training on near coastal and/or oceans (near coastal is a sub-set of oceans). It would be acceptable if you were to be endorsed as Master of Towing for the same route you were on as a deck hand.