Completing TOAR

I just left blue water sailing as a 2/M and I am trying to get into brown water work. Has anyone heard of a school that accelerates or entirely completes your towing endorsement for you? Or a company that brings on mariners with unlimited licenses to train for the towing endorsement? Everywhere I look I see tugboat companies are looking for people, but without the MOT I am sunk. Any advice?

I talked this over with a friend of mine that works for Hawai’i Tug and Barge; he indicated with an upper level license, accomplishing the TOAR was pretty painless and quick and hiring me (2M/1600 Master) would be no problem. I wasn’t really interested so I didn’t check-out what he told me. I have read, (awhile back) the requirement of what’s on a TOAR and for an experienced mariner already holding an Oceans License it looked like most of what’s on there could be signed off rather quickly.

The below link references Licesning and manning for towing vessels.

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/nvic/4_01/n4-01.pdf

You don’t want to go to a school for this. There are companies that will hire you without the towing endorsement and run you as an extra training until you are certified. The TOAR (towing officer’s assessment record) will be your fastest route to obtaining your MOT. If you only have a 2nd Mate you need to do the crossover 1600 Ton Master test or your unlimited Master, which ever you prefer. (Being a 2nd Mate though, the 1600 ton Master test should be a breeze, it is the same test for 2nd Mate/3rd Mate). I think it is a limited exam for you. You will need 30 days of training and observation on towing vessels over the appropriate routes (Except for Western Rivers, which requires 90 days of training and observation), Hold a completed TOAR or evidence of completion of a Coast Guard Approved course that exhibits evidence of favorable assessment of practical demonstration of towing skills, and complete any required examinations. (Which are none to my knowledge) Penn Maritime has been advertising, K-Sea has been advertising. Kirby has been advertising. Otto Candies and Guidry Brothers have some tugs and a good reputation. I work for Edison Chouest Offshore and they have 13 Anchor Handling Tug Supply vessels (ranging from 240’-348’- 8,000hp to 30,000hp) with 4 or 5 newbuilds coming. These vessels do not require a towing endorsement to operate, BUT a towing endorsement can be obtained on them. Chouest also has 30 Designated Examiners (I am one) that are qualified to sign a TOAR. I think if you were to do a little research and make some phone calls and show up “in person” at some offices, that you would have little trouble finding a company that would be willing to invest a little time and money into you.

I almost forgot about Chouest getting a harbor/Z-Drive tugs contract docking LNG ships. Look on the below site under newsletter VOL 26 has an article about the new contract.

http://www.chouest.com/

<font face=“Birch” size=“7” color="#004dff]</font><font face=“Birch” size=“7” color="#004dff]
<p align="left]
SABINE PASS

<p align="left]
TRACTOR TUGS

</font><font face=“FuturaBT-Light” size="3]
<p align=“left]
ECO has an exciting opportunity for mariners living in southwest Louisiana and the Houston area. The company announced last summer that it had received a contract to provide four 110- ft. tractor tugs to assist Cheniere Energy in their LNG receiving terminal at Sabine Pass. According to Operations Coordinator Roy Cheramie, another four tugs have been contracted for a nearby operation. “ExxonMobil’s Golden Pass LNG is located only three miles away from the Sabine Pass LNG. Many of our current mariners are not even aware of these exciting opportunities,” said Cheramie. He said that the first three Sabine Pass tugs will be delivered in December 2007, with the fourth to be delivered shortly thereafter. The Golden Pass tugs are contracted for a March 2009 delivery. All the vessels are being constructed at Gulf Ship in Gulfport, MS. <font face=“Birch” size=“7” color=”#004dff]</font>

</font>

Thanks, for your comments and for clearing up what is needed to attain the TOAR with an unlimited license. It seems that every one I talk to has a different explanation of what is expected, but I should not be surprised it is that way with almost everything the USCG touches. I do not hold the 1600 ton masters yet, but I plan on getting it once I get the TOAR and need to update my license in Boston. I have been in contact with lots of companies, but the overwhelming response I get is that their program is full or they do not have one. I am also looking for an equal rotation, which I do not believe Chouest offers, long trips away from home are one reason why I have left Deep Sea. I don’t want to get a brown water job and than be away from home even more. I will look into Otto Candies, Guidry Brothers, and Hawain Towing, thanks for the tips.

<strong>Guest:</strong> <br><br>Chouest will allow you to work equal time, you just need to get on the right vessel. It’s better to fill a spot with a two person rotation than not at all…call and ask.<br><br>Good TOAR endorsement class

I’m working with a group of mariners that offer an accelerated class for obtaining your T.O.A.R.
The class is held on an actual tugboat were the student will have the opportunity to run the tug and get written off on the demonstrative criteria as well as get written off on the classroom criteria.
I see this is an old thread, so if still interested let me know and I can elaborate more on the details.

[QUOTE=JCC;31519]I’m working with a group of mariners that offer an accelerated class for obtaining your T.O.A.R.
The class is held on an actual tugboat were the student will have the opportunity to run the tug and get written off on the demonstrative criteria as well as get written off on the classroom criteria.
I see this is an old thread, so if still interested let me know and I can elaborate more on the details.[/QUOTE]

Please elaborate or MSG me with the info.

I’m interested in this too. I have an Apprentice Mate endorsement and need the TOAR completed before I will be in a good position for hiring by a tug company. Please elaborate on this opportinity.

[QUOTE=JCC;31519]I’m working with a group of mariners that offer an accelerated class for obtaining your T.O.A.R.
I see this is an old thread, so if still interested let me know and I can elaborate more on the details.[/QUOTE]

I am available to assess skills of those wanting Master of Towing TOAR Books signed!

I am a USCG test examiner (Ret) Designated to examine and sign skill assessments of mariners who are in need of getting their TOAR books signed off. That’s what I do.

I am able travel worldwide, to your company or towing vessel to assess mariners climbing the hawsepipe.
Call or email for scheduling appointments and travel.

Email USCGTOAR@gmail.com
727-580-4576

i’m a 200 ton capt for more than 3 years, have taken the apprentice mat steersman course, have 70 days on tugboat, but i need to get my TOAR…Do you know how and where??? Thanks for your help…

Michael

michaelcfeigin@yahoo.com

PM me for info.

[QUOTE=dougpine;56884]PM me for info.[/QUOTE]

dougpine I tryed pming you but was blocked for some reason? Anyways I have some questions about haveing my TOAR completed. How does one become a quailified DE? I have a 200ton with apprentice mate endorsment. The Master I currently work with would like to become a DE so that he could sign my TOAR. Or maybe I could come out and do it with you? Please email or PM me.
Thanks Alot
schurman116@hotmail.com

You capt. Just has to submit a letter requesting to be a DE to the uscg. Basically stating his time aboard tugs and yards yadda pretty easy to do.

I am a Designated Examiner and offer a practal TOAR exam on our equipment or yours. Please look at www.TOAR.biz.
Hope I can help

Hey I saw your name around the forums. I’ve been sailing for 10 years as an AB. I now hold my Unlimited AB, and I’m new to a 100 ton master 200 ton Mate NC. I have tons of hands on boat handling time. But drug ass to finally get a license because I worked at NOAA for so long and a license exempt for federal government boats.

Anyways, I’ve resigned from NOAA, and changing gears. Looking into a Mate Unlimited Ton inland for the ferries, but a TOAR also crossed my mind for the towing industry. But the TOAR kinda sounds like a catch 22. So how does one obtain a TOAR if I’m not hired on with a tug company. I saw Vane came to Seattle and that they are looking to hire masters and mates with a 200 ton endorsement. But TOAR is also a requirement. Any suggestions on how to get my foot in the door in the towing industry??

-Brian Kibler

Get a job as deckhand , get your apprentice mate get your toar signed off and a year or more of seatime with the apprentice mate you’ll upgrade to mate of towing . But boat handling light boat vs handling a barge is a big difference . Don’t step on the tugboat a think you’re ready to be mate because you’re not

1 Like

Hi Brian,

Thanks for checking in with me. The minimum license you can hold to qualify for a Mate of Towing is 200 ton Master, and with that license you have to have 1080 days sailing on it as Master before you can qualify. The best way to get Mate of Towing is to already hold at least 500 ton Mate Near Coastal or Oceans, OICNW, and have or have the ability to get a minimum of 30 days documented observation and training days on tugs.

The other path is to get a job on a tug with your AB, apply for and get Apprentice Mate/Steersman, and complete your TOAR. On that endorsement, once you complete the required seatime you’ll receive your Mate of Towing. Maybe Vane is looking for ABs? Other companies do. You should check at the IBU Hall.

I’m attaching the NMC’s Apprentice Mate and Mate of Towing Checklists for your reference.

Good luck to you. If I can help further please let me know.

Doug

NMC Apprentice Mate checklist.pdf (24 KB)

Mate OC.pdf (55.7 KB)

A post was split to a new topic: Transferring to tugs and looking to take TOAR