The old story need the job to get the endorsment can't get the job without it

Hi,<br> I RECENTLY GOT MY 500 TON OCEANS TICKET AND WANT TO GET IN TO THE TUGBOAT INDUSTRY. I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE EASY. EVERY COMPANY I TALK TO WANTS THE MASTER OF TOW ENDORSMENT YET I NEED THE JOB TO GET IT. I’ AM TAKING A TANKERMAN CLASS NEXT WEEK HOPING TO HELP WITH GETTING ON WITH A WEST COAST TOW COMPANY. ANYONE GOT ANY SUGESTIONS OR ADVISE ON GETTING MY FOOT IN THE DOOR.

You’ll have to start as an AB, get your time in and complete a TOAR. Go get Coast Guard NVIC 04-01 and it’ll scramble your brain but will also let you know what you’re facing.<br><br>Good luck.

Thanks for the response. Reading NVIC 04-01 has given me a headache. I have to reread it again once the confusion wears off. I was under the assumtion that with my 500 ton lic. I only need 30 days at sea on a tug and complete my toar assesments to get a master of tow. I don’t expect to be properly trained by then but elegible for the endorsement. I also only need sea time on a vessel over 100 ton to get a raise in grade to 1600 ton. I would think this would make me desireable to tow companies.

Yes, the Coast Guard just finalized the new rules for getting a towing license. They go into effect next month. You had better be prepared to spend much more than 30 days getting your TOAR signed off. I can tell you as a DE I will never sign anyone off in 30 days. Plan on many more sea days spent working on your TOAR, unless your company conveniently provides a DE that will pencil-whip your TOAR. Which wouldn’t be doing you any favors at all, by the way.

I am a very hard working individual and have worked very hard to get to this level. I am not looking for the easy route, yet I have a faimly and need to make enough to support them. Can I make a hundred grand a year as a AB. If so I will take a job as one and work my way up like I have done all my life. I think there is a real chance of growth in the towing industry and the equal time off would give me time to spend with my kids. Any leads or sugestions are appricated.

100k a year as an AB? Find that company and let all of us know…

I was just making a point. After 19 years of experience, spending 7 months of classes, and $12k latter to get my 500 ton lic. I expected more job opportunities. Starting over as a AB does not sound like the way the path should work.

You’re not going to make a hundred grand a year as a tug boat Mate, and you won’t sail Master for at least 8 to 10 years and by then you just might crack the six figure income level. <br><br>I sailed Master for 15 years and then took an AB job for five years because it kept me close to home while my kids needed me around. Now, I’m back sailing on my license. Lose the attitude already.<br><br>You’re not “starting over” by sailing as AB. You’re using strategy, and getting paid to get your training out of the way. There is no way in hell you’re ready to stand a watch on a tug boat today and you won’t be for months, regardless what the Coast Guard in their bow to industry pressure has just done. <br><br>Welcome to the new reality. You’re going to spend a lot more than that before you’re finished. Are you dead set on towing? What about OSVs, for example? Did you get 500 Master or Mate? And if you got 500 Master, did you get 1600 Mate at the same time? Did you get OICNW on your STCW? <br><br>You’ll find it is much easier to get a Tankerman job. Call K-Sea in Seattle and ask to speak to Clark Jennison. They’re looking for Tankermen. Then, since you have a license, you can get your TOAR completed while working as a Tankerman, and make more than a 2nd Mate. Once you have your Master of Towing, then you can sail as Mate/Tankerman, and never get any sleep. <br><br>Call Sven Christiansen or Scott Manley at Harley in Seattle. They’ll take you on as a Tankerman tomorrow. Then, since you have a license, you can get your TOAR completed while working as a Tankerman, and make more than a 2nd Mate. Once you have your Master of Towing, then you can sail as Mate/Tankerman, and never get any sleep.<br><br>Call Sause Bros in Honolulu and ask to speak to Brad Rimmel. Tell him you want to sail as a cook. The cooks, when working on deck, make more money per hour than the Mates. And, since you are a cook, you won’t have to clean the toilets like the Mates do. Gotta keep those hands clean. And, since you have a license, you might get to have your TOAR signed off. If you’re a really shitty cook, they’ll sign your TOAR off quicker just to get you out of the galley and into the wheelhouse.<br><br>Have you ever sailed as an AB, or are you a freshly upgraded 100 ton Master who never had ABs on board his boat? Walk into the IBU hall in Seattle and they’ll dispatch you as an AB. Life as an AB isn’t so bad. No responsibility and you get really good at painting. Plus, you have a license so you get paid to work on deck getting good experience while getting someone to sign off on your TOAR. If you’re a really shitty AB, they’ll sign it off quicker just to get you up in the wheelhouse with other officers who think they’re too cool to sail AB. <br><br>Sounds to me like you didn’t do your homework before you plunked down your 12k. You can’t “expect” anything. You “thought it would be easy”. Are you nuts? You must be informed and savvy before you take a leap. Get over it and carry on.

<P>Bravo!</P>

Thanks I needed that. That horse was getting pretty high. Complaining over. I am grateful for the advise.

I just completed my TOAR in January,and I was able to get a job as mate to complete it,so there are opportunities out there.
But C/A is right,no respectable DE will sign you off in the 30 days,the only one I’ve seen signed off that quickly was suspect and reported to CG.I’m told the average time is about 120 days or so.I was also surprised at the lack of opportunities/pay to commensurate,but keep beating the bushes.Best of luck to you,PM me if I can be of more help…

[QUOTE=captainvjb;3213]Thanks I needed that. That horse was getting pretty high. Complaining over. I am grateful for the advise.[/QUOTE]

You know what? You couldn’t have responded better. Well done, good to have you and a sincere good luck to you.
BTW, when Capt. Anonymous preaches, it is from the heart and with nothing but love!

Hi
you said that ya spent …7 months of classes, and $12k latter to get my 500 ton lic…

Where did you take your OICNW training?

Or another question I should ask everyone here is, where is the cheepest place to get all the OICNW courses?

bob

If you have to pay out of pocket I think LE Fletcher in Houma, LA is probably one of the least expensive.

Try Young Memorial in Morgan City:

http://www.coastguardtraining.com/marine.htm

I’ve taken three classes there, and would go back for more any day.

But they only go up to 200 T masters. You’d need to go to LE Fletcher for 500 or 1600.

I, too, am looking at wanting to learn tugs, but have no problem sailing as OS or AB for as long as it takes to get to know the biz from the bottom up.
I have a 500 ton Master on Oceans ticket, with an AB unlimited.
What exactly is the best way to get a tankerman endorsement? From what I have been reading I have to have some transfers logged before taking the course? I sure appreciate any help from you guys.

You can take the PIC course and then get your loads and discharges.

Cool, thanks!
Now to find a course this November or December in the Northeast…

You’ve been at it for 19 years and still only hold a 500T license? I’d get busy with upgrading and get back on schedule. I think if you hold a 1600T Master you can cross over to Master of Towing in very few days (like 30 or 60).

I’d look into that. Good luck.

-dennis

[quote=Flyer69;15746]Cool, thanks!
Now to find a course this November or December in the Northeast…[/quote]

Hey Flyer,
December in the NE? :eek: Go to Ft Lauderdale :). MPT offers it and if you can get Capt John he is excellent. He is Master on Tankship working in GOM. I took the course in May 2008 and would go back. Best to you.