100 ton Mom & Pops + other job

[QUOTE=tugsailor;139641]4 is probably enough, but for a few dollars more why not do 8.

Given all the individual classes you are planning, you might consider PEC Core which covers a lot of material in a 3 day $500 class. It covers SafeGulf, SEMS and a lot more, but not rigging.[/QUOTE]

Thanks again Tugs, I did see a SafeGulfSafeLand class @ SMS in Lafayette that seems to cover more as you speak of, I plan to give them a call Monday. I took BST there, they have a good schedule but not really detailed on what’s offered online. I did have a good experience there from front office to class room. I plan to do my advanced fire fighting there and GMDSS when the time comes. Mostly a safety type school catering to the rig companies for those unaware of them. Good prices to boot.

Only reason I was asking on the rigging was trying to see if I could get the GulfSafe and rigging in one day to save me a hotel fee, but looks like anyway I go SafeGulf is a whole day if not 2 or 3.

Falck Safety Services in Houma, Lafayette, Houston, and numerous other places in 35 countries, is hard to beat for helpful information, schedule, cost, quality, and acceptance by employers.

Young Memorial and Fletcher both also offer PEC Core.

Safety Management Systems in Lafayette has a good schedule of courses too, but their overpriced 4 man dorm rooms cost more than a decent hotel and are an absolute rip off.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;139676]Falck Safety Services in Houma, Lafayette, Houston, and numerous other places in 35 countries, is hard to beat for helpful information, schedule, cost, quality, and acceptance by employers.

Safety Management Systems in Lafayette has a good schedule of courses too, but their overpriced 4 man dorm rooms cost more than a decent hotel and are an absolute rip off.[/QUOTE]

What do you expect, they’re owned by the one of the largest (if not the largest) privately held ambulance services in the country. They have made a career out of ripping off people and the local government.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;139676]Falck Safety Services in Houma, Lafayette, Houston, and numerous other places in 35 countries, is hard to beat for helpful information, schedule, cost, quality, and acceptance by employers.

Safety Management Systems in Lafayette has a good schedule of courses too, but their overpriced 4 man dorm rooms cost more than a decent hotel and are an absolute rip off.[/QUOTE]

Thanks TugSailor, did a class there @ SMS and opted for a room just down the road for $45/night. Good advice

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Saltine;139691]What do you expect, they’re owned by the one of the largest (if not the largest) privately held ambulance services in the country. They have made a career out of ripping off people and the local government.[/QUOTE]

bone to pick with SMS Saltine? Elaborate please. Should we not take our business there? Of course I think their were only 3 of us in my BST class that were individuals paying their own way.

[QUOTE=roundabout;139692]Thanks TugSailor, did a class there @ SMS and opted for a room just down the road for $45/night. Good advice

• Updated - - -

bone to pick with SMS Saltine? Elaborate please. Should we not take our business there? Of course I think their were only 3 of us in my BST class that were individuals paying their own way.[/QUOTE]

They don’t mind overcharging you for the less than subpar living arrangements. They do a lot of good things there but housing is not one of them. To me it’s a rip off, much like they’re ambulance service fees.

[QUOTE=Saltine;139693]They don’t mind overcharging you for the less than subpar living arrangements. They do a lot of good things there but housing is not one of them. To me it’s a rip off, much like they’re ambulance service fees.[/QUOTE]

I was going to take courses at SMS until I called and found out about the $10 a night value, four to a room, bunks crudely built out of 2"x4"s for something like $80 per night. I told them that I could not trust, and would not favor with my business, any school that would rip off its students like that.

So instead I went to Falck in Houma. Falck is a very professional operation. I stayed at a nice chain hotel (cannot remember the name} for under $100 a night. On the port side they had a nice “New Orleans style” seafood restaurant (cannot remember the name) and on the starboard side they had a place called “Twin Peaks” (think Hooters but ten times better). If you go to Houma, don’t miss either of those places.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;139700]I was going to take courses at SMS until I called and found out about the $10 a night value, four to a room, bunks crudely built out of 2"x4"s for something like $80 per night. I told them that I could not trust, and would not favor with my business, any school that would rip off its students like that.

So instead I went to Falck in Houma. Falck is a very professional operation. I stayed at a nice chain hotel (cannot remember the name} for under $100 a night. On the port side they had a nice “New Orleans style” seafood restaurant (cannot remember the name) and on the starboard side they had a place called “Twin Peaks” (think Hooters but ten times better). If you go to Houma, don’t miss either of those places.[/QUOTE]

What happened to the “thanks” button? Just sayin’…

. Thanks Tugs, laid over in San Juan for 5 hours, ready to hit the 'Ole MIssissippi Delta!

[QUOTE=Saltine;139693]They don’t mind overcharging you for the less than subpar living arrangements. They do a lot of good things there but housing is not one of them. To me it’s a rip off, much like they’re ambulance service fees.[/QUOTE]

I concur Saltine, had the chance to see the rooms, meals are decent. I guess the companies do the room thing not the individuals. It would be feasible for a company to rent 2 hotel rooms for the price of a single mariner @ SMS.

I am beginning to realize why there were only 2 mariners in a class of 21 (too many) for BST there.

On the other hand, I have no idea what a company rate for accommodations there are, but could see the benefits from the company side of putting kids up there in lieu of a hotel.

• Updated - - -

I concur Saltine, had the chance to see the rooms, meals are decent. I guess the companies do the room thing not the individuals. It would be feasible for a company to rent 2 hotel rooms for the price of a single mariner @ SMS.

I am beginning to realize why there were only 2 mariners in a class of 21 (too many) for BST there.

On the other hand, I have no idea what a company rate for accommodations there are, but could see the benefits from the company side of putting kids up there in lieu of a hotel.

Some hang ups @ home & with class scheduling. Got classes scheduled for next week. On others advice (Thank You) I will be going to Falck for all three, courses and prices are:

Monday June 30th Houma, LA Rig Pass/SafeGulf 8 hrs, $170.00

Tuesday July 1st, New Orleans MRO (radio op FCC) 4 hrs, $195.00

Wednesday June 2nd, Houma API Rigger $375.00

staying Days Inn, Houma 3 nights $202.00

Radar Unlimited Original is set for Monday July 7th @ Young Memorial in Morgan City $527.00

Settled down in Houma @ the Days Inn on Dixie Blvd., not bad at all, close to Falck in Houma, clean room, hot water, cold A/C. Finished Safegulf today, FCC-Mro in the morning and stop by Adriatic & GOL to hand in an application and hopefully speak with the HR person. Spoke with one young man (Army Vet, just hired yesterday as engineer) hired Friday by Gulfmark.

[QUOTE=roundabout;140266]Settled down in Houma @ the Days Inn on Dixie Blvd., not bad at all, close to Falck in Houma, clean room, hot water, cold A/C. Finished Safegulf today, FCC-Mro in the morning and stop by Adriatic & GOL to hand in an application and hopefully speak with the HR person. Spoke with one young man (Army Vet, just hired yesterday as engineer) hired Friday by Gulfmark.[/QUOTE]

I liked the young HR guy at Adriatic, Barrett Grabbert (pronounced something close to Gra-BEAR or Grey-Bear). He likes guys that already have the necessary certifications. The office can be hard to find. Its on the far side of the Raceland Post Office on a side street. It does not look like an office (green steel industrial building) and the only sign is lettering on the glass doors which you cannot read until you are in the parking lot.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;140303]I liked the young HR guy at Adriatic, Barrett Grabbert (pronounced something close to Gra-BEAR or Grey-Bear). He likes guys that already have the necessary certifications. The office can be hard to find. Its on the far side of the Raceland Post Office on a side street. It does not look like an office (green steel industrial building) and the only sign is lettering on the glass doors which you cannot read until you are in the parking lot.[/QUOTE]

I found it behind the post office after asking someone today. Couldn’t get in to meet Barrett, but the way the lady up front talked Barrett was a Woman, or so I took it anyway, I did ask the pronunciation several times. got my radio op done this morning & applied the rest of the day at GOL, Alliance, Adriatic, Cheramie Marine, & Odyssea. Only got in to see HR @ Cheramie & Odyssea. Possible call back @ Cheramie, man @ Odysea says he will keep my app handy, good man saw me after closing since I hung around a couple of hours, he said to think about DP basic also and for me to stay in touch. Might go do that, but have radar next week & 200ton master july 21, though I’m thinking to do DP instead of 200ton. I am still planning to hit up the rest of the mini supply & utility boat outfits before the crew boat companies. Will hit as many as time allows Tom. Afternoon when I finish up rigger class.

badebbadeb, that’s it for no folks…

If you are a young super athlete with movestar teeth, DP Basic is probably a very good investment. But for an older guy in average condition, no one gives a rat’s ass whether you have DP Basic.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;140318]If you are a young super athlete with movestar teeth, DP Basic is probably a very good investment. But for an older guy in average condition, no one gives a rat’s ass whether you have DP Basic.[/QUOTE]

I probably should have been more clear. Besides suggesting DP basic, he said that even without having experience @ the helm or any more recent experience than 1996 in the oilfield he would have sent me out if I passed the drug and physical the next night. I am an old fart, with nowhere movie star teeth, but I felt he meant what he said. If anyone has DP (basic) and is looking for work and or DP time, Odyssea was hiring yesterday. I think they would have even hired an extra office person if they could, it was a wild rush in there between payroll and crew changes.

Today was a long drawn out day of rigger class, yawn! I had an old friend point me to a small crew boat company, and hoped to get there earlier than 1630! Long story short, got there @ 1645 & I accepted a job as training/3rd captain with this company (my friend has asked I keep their name to myself for the time being). Will do UA and physical in the am and ship out next week. Taking the advice of many helpful people here and taking the first good offer came my way. Schedule is 14/7 (Me Likey!) and starting pay is $285.

The 14/7 works for me as I am only 220 mile drive from Houma.

Want to thank everyone for the input and especially those of you that put up with my pesky PM’s.

It can’t get to calm to scare me!

Congrats on the new job.

In the Gulf its mostly about being in the right place at the right time.

When I looked nobody cared about my DP Basic. The only companies interested in hiring me were tug companies or smaller companies that either did not have DP boats, or that had mostly unclassed DP boats that would not provide me with Nautical Institute acceptable seatime.

We are looking to fill a few spots. Email resumes to the following.

tugboatchief72@yahoo.com

[QUOTE=tugsailor;140381]Congrats on the new job.

In the Gulf its mostly about being in the right place at the right time.

When I looked nobody cared about my DP Basic. The only companies interested in hiring me were tug companies or smaller companies that either did not have DP boats, or that had mostly unclassed DP boats that would not provide me with Nautical Institute acceptable seatime.[/QUOTE]

thanks tugs, I heard so much about whether to get it before my job hunt or not to. Decided against and seems like it may have cost me an op. But then again who knows, may have just been an easy out, though it didn’t seem that way. I do see more of the OSV’s w/DP moving from DP1 to 2, could it be for classification purposes?

Company just called and moved my time to ship out up to Tuesday so off I go to listen and learn.

It’s smart to take the DP Basic before the people in NI makes it even harder to acquire the DP certificate. I heard that it’s coming new rules in august.

[QUOTE=Kraken;140421]It’s smart to take the DP Basic before the people in NI makes it even harder to acquire the DP certificate. I heard that it’s coming new rules in august.[/QUOTE]

I think you make a GREAT point there Kraken, something I didn’t even consider. As a matter of fact I was thinking to put it off for while since I found a job, now I am rethinking this, again.